Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soundproofing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove my friend's car on my commute today. Same year, P85. What a difference. That is the car I was expecting. Stopped at the Tesla store on my way back and the tech told me to bring it in tomorrow 8AM. Let's see.
As my friend drove my car for the day, we agreed that it makes way too much noise. Funny thing, his 10 year old son asked why the gray car was noiseeeee.
There is a chance that I am not crazy.

Old thread revival - Wondering if the OP ever received any sound reduction in cabin or guidance from Tesla Service? I continue to try and lower cabin noise and looking for any other ideas. Any other suggestions out there?

Steps completed so far
1) Sound deadening added
2) Switch from 21's to 20 inch Axis w/ P7 Pirelli's
3) Added parcel tray

Old thread revival - Wondering if the OP ever received any sound reduction in cabin or guidance from Tesla Service? I continue to try and lower cabin noise and looking for any other ideas. Any other suggestions out there?

Steps completed so far
1) Sound deadening added
2) Switch from 21's to 20 inch Axis w/ P7 Pirelli's
3) Added parcel tray

What or how much sound deadening did you add?
After Tesla do what they need to do in my car, we will rip off the interior and add almost 100Lbs of it. Too much work if results are not what I anticipate :(
This is the kit I want to use:
Tesla S 4 door Hatchback 2013- | Sound Deadener Showdown
Material itself is just about $400. Labor is quite a bit, specially with the risk of things not going back as they used to.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Hello there.
Yesterday I got my CPO 2013 P85+, and I am quite unhappy with it.
Yes it is fast, but that is it. Neither the technology nor interior appointments impress me. The "ultra super premium sound system" is a joke.

But what really is killing my desire to drive this car daily is how noise it is in the parkway. The 21" rims and low profile tires certainly do not help and I will replace them, but really this car needs proper soundproofing.
There is nothing I can do with the thin single pane windows, but did anyone here attempted to soundproof a Model S?
I believe that replacing carpets, under-mats (if any), and adding proper noise damping would cost $2k or less. That would be a lot less than trading in this car after two days. Or having a $60K paperweight in my driveway.
Off course if someone in the area is interested on alleviating my pain, I am a motivated seller.

You didn't drive before buying!?!

What or how much sound deadening did you add?
After Tesla do what they need to do in my car, we will rip off the interior and add almost 100Lbs of it. Too much work if results are not what I anticipate :(
This is the kit I want to use:
Tesla S 4 door Hatchback 2013- | Sound Deadener Showdown
Material itself is just about $400. Labor is quite a bit, specially with the risk of things not going back as they used to.

I added about 150 pounds of sound deadening (Butyl and foam - Stinger), did all four doors, as much as we could in the rear, even put some up in the frunk area. Results were ok... $1,800 investment in total (half materials / half labor) but I would not say it was worth the investment. Going to the 20" P7 Pirelli from the 21" Pilot Super Sports had a bigger impact for the good. However, definitely giving up dry performance with that tire/wheel change.

Most noise for me sounds like it's coming from the rear doors, near the upper seat belt attaching point. Next round of research for me, once winter is over, is door seals / rear seals and any other body seals that may be letting in some road noise.

Last edited:
I added about 150 pounds of sound deadening (Butyl and foam - Stinger), did all four doors, as much as we could in the rear, even put some up in the frunk area. Results were ok... $1,800 investment in total (half materials / half labor) but I would not say it was worth the investment. Going to the 20" P7 Pirelli from the 21" Pilot Super Sports had a bigger impact for the good. However, definitely giving up dry performance with that tire/wheel change.

Most noise for me sounds like it's coming from the rear doors, near the upper seat belt attaching point. Next round of research for me, once winter is over, is door seals / rear seals and any other body seals that may be letting in some road noise.

I know where its coming from. On newer cars they sealed this air "pocket" with a rubber sheet

When I test drove a CPO 2014 I was initially surprised at the apparent noise, but after a while realized the complete lack of engine noise (at low speeds) was why I was focused on tire noise, road rumble from imperfections (lots of those in CO), etc. I wonder whether the context of a much quieter motor leaves us hearing 'more' noise because the background noise we expect is gone?

Oh course wind noise is wind noise - regardless of motor, and the newer ones are substantially quieter (but I still noticed myself obsessing on noise I am sure is masked by engine noise in ICEs).
I was thinking the same thing. No engine noise probably makes everything else sound louder

Thanks. I am reconsidering and placing the sound deadening as last resource. Tesla is replacing a lot of seals in my can in February (good will). They believe those are the main source of road noise.
Rims and tires are next on my list. I was going stock 19" but I like the idea of a mid term solution. Would you mind sharing pics of your car with 20s?

• Disagree
Reactions: CurrentRide
Ditch the 21" wheels. They ruin ride quality and add noise. They also reduce efficiency and will cause you a lot of grief if you hit a pothole. Apparently some of these cars need adjustments for wind noise. Mine has a lot of interior noise. I was not allowed to drive my car before signing for it. That's a first, since I've test driven many much more rare and expensive cars without difficulty. Tesla corporate policy I am told.

Thanks. I am reconsidering and placing the sound deadening as last resource. Tesla is replacing a lot of seals in my can in February (good will). They believe those are the main source of road noise.
Rims and tires are next on my list. I was going stock 19" but I like the idea of a mid term solution. Would you mind sharing pics of your car with 20s?

A few cruddy pictures in my garage at night, and one of the stock 21 next to the 20's. Next step with wheels is to pick up some metal "T" center caps and color match to the Axis wheel. The factory Tesla gray is darker than the Axis by a few shades.
IMG_0183.jpeg
IMG_0184.jpeg
IMG_0258.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18 and JetKit