Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Southern Ontario Tesla Owner's Club

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just watched it. I actually think it wasn’t a hit piece. It gave both the positive and negative views on the company. I especially like that they interviewed the professor who compared Musk to Steve Jobs. If they were really out for a hatchet job nothing like that would have been in it.

The beginning of it was just bad in my opinion. They said some misleading things. The factory is shutting down to improve efficiency, they made it sound like dire circumstances. The Model X crash....again AP is not to blame, it's the driver. The recall for the steering components was a Bosch issue, not Tesla. But none of these details are mentioned. Just a grim outlook to grab attention.

As enthusiasts we know these things. John Q. Public is just going to think Tesla is on shaky ground.

How can you possibly say that wasn't a hit piece? They painted us as deluded believers and Charley Grant and Chanos as "realists".

I'm certain that if those of us who were at the meeting filmed and gave interviews knew it was for a garbage fire of a piece like this, we'd have shown CBC the door and told them they weren't welcome here.

Reactions: Drone Flyer
Can't find
CBC was at our chapter meeting. It is an Aaron Saltzman piece - but he wasn't at the meeting. They filmed some of the meeting, and interviewed many. I was just sent an audio link (I haven't listened to it yet), and we were promised a video link at the meeting. I guess I should listen to it.

I suspect we'll post the links shortly

edit
I listened to it (about 14:45 into the news story). It's a bit of a slam at the financial and production issues with Tesla, and the Ontario club supporting Elon's vision.
John Dixon (our club President) does have a brief quote, but most of the other interviews were scrapped, I guess.

The video should be on the National tonight

Audio link: CBC News: The World at Six | CBC News: World at Six for 2018/04/17 at 20:30 EDT

Can't find the part about Tesla in that audio clip. Is it the right one?

This was definitely a hit piece, they're showing the negatives without any caveats and calling fans of a brand evangelists. There are legitimate concerns but they weren't shown fairly and just thrown in there for narrative, the AP crash is a good example. Driver is responsible but AP was clearly confused (as are non-AP drivers) by the bad lane markings AND the crash attenuator wasn't in place which was ultimately the difference between life and death.

Reactions: mrElbe
Can't find

Can't find the part about Tesla in that audio clip. Is it the right one?

This was definitely a hit piece, they're showing the negatives without any caveats and calling fans of a brand evangelists. There are legitimate concerns but they weren't shown fairly and just thrown in there for narrative, the AP crash is a good example. Driver is responsible but AP was clearly confused (as are non-AP drivers) by the bad lane markings AND the crash attenuator wasn't in place which was ultimately the difference between life and death.
Hmmmm.....It worked last night
The video clip, posted here Southern Ontario Tesla Owner's Club includes all of the audio.

Why is there a fee to join and what does the fee pay?
When the club was originally formed, all of the expenses were "donated" to the club by some of the founders ( @Jaff , @Jgdixon , etc). When we formalized membership last year, we recognized that we had a number of known expenses:
Badges
Lanyards
Car decals
Business cards
Room and food costs(over collected value)
Insurance

...and we knew there would be others. We came to $50 as a "best guess" for our first year, and promise to review for subsequent years.
We hold about 10 meetings a year, and have a number of other social events.

We have a "new owner" Q&A before each meeting, and we get 3-6 new owners at each meeting
We rent a room, and order finger foods, coffee and pop at Dave and Busters (most meetings). The $10 meeting fee doesn't cover the full cost
A guest speaker, relevant to Tesla, and/or our Club's mission is at each meeting
Members do get discounts on supplies and services from our sponsors
Tesla DOES listen to us, so we can voice any common issues

It's a worthwhile investment

When the club was originally formed, all of the expenses were "donated" to the club by some of the founders ( @Jaff , @Jgdixon , etc). When we formalized membership last year, we recognized that we had a number of known expenses:
Badges
Lanyards
Car decals
Business cards
Room and food costs(over collected value)
Insurance

...and we knew there would be others. We came to $50 as a "best guess" for our first year, and promise to review for subsequent years.
We hold about 10 meetings a year, and have a number of other social events.

We have a "new owner" Q&A before each meeting, and we get 3-6 new owners at each meeting
We rent a room, and order finger foods, coffee and pop at Dave and Busters (most meetings). The $10 meeting fee doesn't cover the full cost
A guest speaker, relevant to Tesla, and/or our Club's mission is at each meeting
Members do get discounts on supplies and services from our sponsors
Tesla DOES listen to us, so we can voice any common issues

It's a worthwhile investment
And what is the benefit one would get by joining? I'm wondering what the value for money i'm getting by paying $50 verses joining another club that is free.

And what is the benefit one would get by joining? I'm wondering what the value for money i'm getting by paying $50 verses joining another club that is free.
He said - discounts on supplies and services from group sponsors - also, the right to attend our events - the club is sanctioned officially by Tesla and we have the right to use their logos in connection with our events.

There are essentially no 'clubs' that charge no membership fees and put on a good event with a venue and food and so on. Also, nothing stops you from doing both. I and many other TOCO members are members of multiple Tesla and EV groups in the area. Of all the groups I regularly participate in, TOCO's meeting presenters are consistently among the best, and it is my favourite meeting to attend regularly.

I'd welcome you to join the Tesla Model 3 group. Trevor does an excellent job with it. Trevor is a member of this club as well.
Yes, we do have a fee to cover some expenses, but as listed by @racer26 , above, we do have some perks. It's not a for-profit group. If we collect more than we need annually, we'll do an event, and/or lower rates for the following year.

As well, at most meetings, you can register as a non-member, and see if you want to join. I can send you an invitation to our next meeting, if you wish. PM me if so

I'd welcome you to join the Tesla Model 3 group. Trevor does an excellent job with it. Trevor is a member of this club as well.
Yes, we do have a fee to cover some expenses, but as listed by @racer26 , above, we do have some perks. It's not a for-profit group. If we collect more than we need annually, we'll do an event, and/or lower rates for the following year.

As well, at most meetings, you can register as a non-member, and see if you want to join. I can send you an invitation to our next meeting, if you wish. PM me if so
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Went to Mississauga location to buy a wall connector for installation. They said, they can only sell once the vehicle is delivered and registered which means it will be 3 to 5 months from now for my dual motor Model 3. Anyone installed ahead of time or it's a new Tesla policy?

Went to Mississauga location to buy a wall connector for installation. They said, they can only sell once the vehicle is delivered and registered...

That doesn't sound right. If you walk in with money in hand, they should sell you what you want. The only explanation might be is that they are trying to hold on to inventory for an expected flood of new Model 3 owners, and want to make sure actual owners get first dibs.

Reactions: Outerspace
Went to Mississauga location to buy a wall connector for installation. They said, they can only sell once the vehicle is delivered and registered which means it will be 3 to 5 months from now for my dual motor Model 3. Anyone installed ahead of time or it's a new Tesla policy?
You should be able to buy the charger once you are assigned a VIN. That was my experience with my Model 3 delivery. Cheers.

I'm pretty sure you can buy the HPWC online without a VIN. It's free shipping too.