Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - CRS-16 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, good video, thanks for posting. I only have one quibble with Tim: while he rightly emphasized that the mission of the launch is to get the Dragon to the ISS and not to land the stage intact, he said the mission “is a success”. But that’s not true: the mission will be a success when the Dragon is berthed to the ISS. Which has not happened yet.

Reactions: XHabjab
I think they probably have to assume it's no longer sealed after a 'soft landing' :(

They were getting telemetry post landing which would indicate tank pressure (could also check for sheen on water). A hairline crack would only vent fumes from evaporating fuel unless the night temp was sufficient to produce a temperature drop in the tank.

Bigger issue (besides polluting the nature reserve) would be that unsealed would mean unpressurized (loss of rigidity) and filling with sea water.

Another note on the grid fins. A lot of people seem to think it is the right (in the video) fin that was failing. I'm pretty sure it was the left that failed and the extreme positioning on the right was to try and compensate for the failure of the left. The airflow through the right fin would have been counter to the spin generated by the left. Another reason to believe this is the extreme positioning of the right happened after the spin began indicating a response to what was happening.
I thought Elon’s tweet about the grid fins being “single string” meant that one pump served all of them and since the pump “stalled” they all stopped working. Am I missing something? (Answer: probably!)

Reactions: Grendal and mongo
I thought Elon’s tweet about the grid fins being “single string” meant that one pump served all of them and since the pump “stalled” they all stopped working. Am I missing something? (Answer: probably!)

I agree with you. I think they all stopped working. I wonder if Elon will tell us why the pump broke. Or whether it was a hose coming unclamped.

Nope. I was wrong. All the grid fins were failing. I think the one on the right was responding to the failure on the left which caused the extreme response but it failed too and did not continue to respond. I think that is why the spin switched direction. Someone else already pointed the same thing out that the system is all connected.

Here is multiple high quality cameras following the booster through the failure. Some great shots of what happened.

The concern with the booster recovery in these cases (as I was reminded by Scott Manley), is to be able to safely depresssurize it.
They could not last time, and had to sink it. But they cannot sink it so close to shore, so I guess they will have to figure it out!

Having read "Stick and Rudder" years ago has me curious about the flight characteristics of the CRS-16 booster. Airplanes and rocket might be different, but they both have to negotiate atmospheric forces. The last couple of days I've noticed several terms being used to describe this booster event. Both Elon and Scott Manley reference the distressed booster as spinning, suppose like a top, which seems accurate from an observers perspective. Flat spin or inverted spin (tail first reentry), also not sure if any of these terms work. The reference to spinning may create a misleading connection with the type of aerodynamic spin usually associated with a stalled aircraft. At this point I don't think we have the evidence (SpaceX does for sure) to determine whether any of the grid fins were stalled or generating some lift, albeit asymmetric.

During the descent there is noticeable pitch and yaw instability, yet the most obvious problem occurs along the longitudinal axis, normally associated with rolls. On this axis the grid fins appear to work much like ailerons. Not sure if the hydraulic failure leaves them somewhat loose in the slipstream or frozen. Video seems to indicate the fin on the right jammed in a hard-over position. During his post flight press briefing Hans Königsmann stated the vehicle was rolling. Tim Dodd also uses the word roll in his video explanation. Thoughts? Would also love to learn more on this topic from SpaceX.

Near term these reentries will remain exciting, for some us that will be always be the case. Watching a rocket slam backwards into the atmosphere, then stick the landing, nothing compares. And good luck to Blue Origin. It'll be interesting to see where they are on the booster return learning curve when they eventually get into orbit.

Reactions: e-FTW
Having read "Stick and Rudder" years ago has me curious about the flight characteristics of the CRS-16 booster. Airplanes and rocket might be different, but they both have to negotiate atmospheric forces. The last couple of days I've noticed several terms being used to describe this booster event. Both Elon and Scott Manley reference the distressed booster as spinning, suppose like a top, which seems accurate from an observers perspective. Flat spin or inverted spin (tail first reentry), also not sure if any of these terms work. The reference to spinning may create a misleading connection with the type of aerodynamic spin usually associated with a stalled aircraft. At this point I don't think we have the evidence (SpaceX does for sure) to determine whether any of the grid fins were stalled or generating some lift, albeit asymmetric.

During the descent there is noticeable pitch and yaw instability, yet the most obvious problem occurs along the longitudinal axis, normally associated with rolls. On this axis the grid fins appear to work much like ailerons. Not sure if the hydraulic failure leaves them somewhat loose in the slipstream or frozen. Video seems to indicate the fin on the right jammed in a hard-over position. During his post flight press briefing Hans Königsmann stated the vehicle was rolling. Tim Dodd also uses the word roll in his video explanation. Thoughts? Would also love to learn more on this topic from SpaceX.

Near term these reentries will remain exciting, for some us that will be always be the case. Watching a rocket slam backwards into the atmosphere, then stick the landing, nothing compares. And good luck to Blue Origin. It'll be interesting to see where they are on the booster return learning curve when they eventually get into orbit.

Yeah, language is not so precise, but general public would not understand the X,Y, Z coordinate systems/ axis.
For aircraft, a flat spin (Top Gun) is rotation in yaw.
For the rocket, the symmetry and vertical to horizontal flight modes require a reference point for rotational descriptions.
In this case it was rotating around the long axis. So that would be roll.
So spinning, but not an aircraft version of spin.

I'd expect the fins are stuck without hydraulic pressure. If the valves are not pilot (pressure) driven and they use pistons, they could possibly be back driven by external forces when trying to operate. Given they are symmetrical, that does not seem likely...

Amazing image of the booster returning to port. Credit: Michael Seeley

47684089_2376412392432226_2516062262280585216_n.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare and e-FTW
It is hard for me to imagine that booster will ever fly again after soaking in saltwater for days. Maybe it will be retired and put on display nex to the SpaceX control room at the Cape. As the first orbital-class rocket to ever do three launches and landings, it has has a very special status.

I think you’re confusing the two launches. This one was a brand new booster.