Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - CRS-17 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Loading. 70% go for launch. Weather isn't good but getting better close to launch time. Instantaneous launch window - so it's go, or no go at launch time.
NASA TV:
| NASA

And scrub... It wasn't weather.
Tomorrow.
It appears that OCISLY was the problem...

Last edited:
Back from a vacation in HI. Happy to see I did not miss this one.

With a close to shore ASDS landing, I wonder if we will get a nice nighttime view from onshore cameras like we did (in the daytime) for the Vandenberg launch that time. It was epic to see it land all the way to the deck from a distance.
And with the cameras they have at the Cape...

Last edited:
Reactions: Grendal
Just watched the webcast replay. Beautiful mission so far. Loved the infrared camera view of the booster landing burn (first time we’ve seen that?) and then a nice view from the booster of the final few seconds right up to touchdown. Outstanding! And I believe this was the 40th booster recovery. Number of orbital class booster recoveries for reuse in the last 8 years by any other rocket company or government entity? I believe that number is zero.

Infrared camera view
DFFEE591-E30B-4402-AD90-F6AC7550B1FF.png

EAB1F8A3-4453-47DB-BE79-F809376F79D0.png

And an interesting view of the Dragon trunk just after separation, fortuitously illuminated by the sun and beautifully positioned near the curvature of the Earth showing the thin blue band of our precious atmosphere.

DBDB9AB9-5509-421F-82D3-592A9E913BF6.png

Wrapped up with a timely Star Wars sign off.
Yep, that was a nice touch. Jesse is a great webcast host; smart, well-informed, and enthusiastic.

Last edited:
Did you guys notice this bright dot? At that moment, I figured it might have been the ASDS as seen from the booster, and I got very excited we would get this view all the way to the deck...
Then they cut to the epic onshore infrared camera. Whoa!
Then clouds. NOOO!
Then booster camera for the landing! Woot!

0FD40766-E53A-4D45-AE24-2FBBAEE8A3AC.jpeg

We have seen infrared camera shots before on the west coast for the launch phase. This is the first IR booster landing shot.

I loved the separation event where you could see the booster getting hit by the second stage lighting the engine.

The other very cool moment was the booster landing and the ASDS turning on the lights.

Reactions: e-FTW
Did you guys notice this bright dot? At that moment, I figured it might have been the ASDS as seen from the booster,
I didn’t notice that, but I don’t think that dot was the ASDS, its lights likely aren’t bright enough to be seen from the booster camera at that point, and then as you noted the ASDS turned on its deck lights after the booster landed.

It was an awesome landing!

Reactions: e-FTW
Apparently it was a no-brainer for NASA siding with SpaceX to delay the launch of CRS-17 due to electrical issues aboard OCISLY. With reference to B1056, “Quite frankly, [NASA] had a vested interest in this particular booster. We were gonna require it – the intent is to use it for us for [SpaceX’s upcoming CRS-18 launch] and – potentially – CRS-19.” (Kenny Todd, ISS Operations and Integration Manager, NASA Johnson)
SpaceX's latest Falcon 9 booster returns to port as NASA hints at "vested interest"

• Love
Reactions: Grendal and e-FTW
The nozzle of the 2nd stage Merlin on this launch was glowing brilliant white. On all other launches I've seen, the bell has glowed orange and less intensely. Camera POV seems the same as always. Does anyone know why?