Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are great speeds. I was using 30/5 WISP before we got our fiber installed, so I would have loved Starlink.
We have neighborhood trees that block us from WISP. It reportedly was down a lot as well when we were looking.

Fiber would likely be cheaper, but where we are, hell will likely freeze over before they run it in.

Bugs the hell out of me that they pulled the grant money from Starlink, which is doing the job as it was intended and expanding access, when meanwhile the cable companies are pocketing the money and doing virtually nothing.

Even if SpaceX receives US government permission to activate Starlink in Iran, the Iranian government is not going to allow Starlink dishes into the country. They would have to be smuggled in, and then anyone who uses one will risk imprisonment. And they are not easy to conceal…

Quite a few people in the US have removed the motor and stand to use the dish as a flat mount. Disassembly like that could make it easier to hide in other things as all you have then is a flat segment.

Once you get it in country it needs power and a clear view of the sky but you can use any router you want. Routers should be easier to come by than disassembled dishes.

Ukraine has already proven how easy it is to use in short bursts then take it apart and move if a military or police group is hunting you.

Reactions: DrGriz and CyberGus
If Starlink has made 1M terminals, then it is safe to assume they have 1M subscriptions now or will be at 1M very soon, given their demand is more than supply.

1M subscriptions with approx $100 per month subscription, gives you $100M/per month or a little over a $1B revenue per year. And this will go to $10B in the next few years when Starship launches the next gen satellites. Pretty good

If Starlink has made 1M terminals, then it is safe to assume they have 1M subscriptions now or will be at 1M very soon, given their demand is more than supply.

1M subscriptions with approx $100 per month subscription, gives you $100M/per month or a little over a $1B revenue per year. And this will go to $10B in the next few years when Starship launches the next gen satellites. Pretty good

Absolutely considering that SpaceX core business is probably only $3B-$4B or so per year. I think people were projecting Starlink at a $30B/yr steady state business when all is said and done. Not bad for a side business :)

1664165260458.png

Moderator's note: I reposted this on the Starlink Ukraine War Discussion thread as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's nothing more consistent than customer service at ElonCo. :p
Then again, there's nothing like the relentless rate of improvement and implementation there of at ElonCo. ;)

Indeed service often trails, but in my experience they do their best to makes things right. And Starlink is newcomer to Sat service relative to the other guys, and are already the largest constellation, have reve'd their sats a couple of generations, addressed things like the Russian jamming scheme wihthin hours, are deploying space laser links, etc... so I am hopeful this too will improve...

There's nothing more consistent than customer service at ElonCo. :p
SpaceX had literally called it "Better than nothing beta".
Redditor had <31 minutes of non-service in a 12hr, 720 minute, span. That's 96% uptime with a sparse constellation in the middle of the outback.
Plus, why would they need feedback? They know exactly when the feed drops.
SmartSelect_20221001_091602_Firefox.jpg

Full text of the email:

STARLINK The Starlink team is currently servicing your location using inter-satellite links (aka space lasers). Space lasers allow Starlink satellites to connect directly to one another, eliminating the need for a local ground station and enabling Starlink to deliver service to some of the most remote locations in the world_like Antarctica. The Starlink team is the first to deploy space laser technology at this scale, and your location is among the first to receive this service. As one of the first, we encourage you to share your feedback. In particular, if you are experiencing spotty service or periods of poor connectivity, please reach out to our Support team. Both the performance and capacity of our space lasers will improve dramatically between now and the end of the year, which will increase the reliability of your connection and allow us to bring even more remote users online. If for any reason you are not satisfied with your Starlink service, you can return the hardware within 30 days for a full refund. As always, you can cancel at any time on your account page. Thank you for your support and we look forward to seeing you online! The Starlink Team SIGN IN TO MY ACCOUNT Space Exploration Technologies Corp | 1 Rocket Road, Hawthorne, CA 90250 Questions? See Starlink FAQs”

…why would they need feedback?

Lol, I suppose folks rushing to the defense of Elonco while misinterpreting intent is also something that’s pretty consistent. :cool:

If y’all would lighten up a bit, at least for a few seconds: There’s plenty of folks who have experienced Elonco’s less than stellar customer service—mixed/confusing messaging, period of radio silence, moving targets, an apparent goal of successfully achieving the bare minimum, etc.

Literally encouraging feedback and then ghosting the response does seem to be—at the risk of the explanation ruining the joke— consistent with that history.

Reactions: Electroman
Lol, I suppose folks rushing to the defense of Elonco while misinterpreting intent is also something that’s pretty consistent. :cool:

If y’all would lighten up a bit, at least for a few seconds: There’s plenty of folks who have experienced Elonco’s less than stellar customer service—mixed/confusing messaging, period of radio silence, moving targets, an apparent goal of successfully achieving the bare minimum, etc.

Literally encouraging feedback and then ghosting the response does seem to be—at the risk of the explanation ruining the joke— consistent with that history.
Sure, and the situation is different with the full text of the email which was not posted when I wrote.
That said, if the user report lines up with the expected availability, there is no troubleshooting to be done, so 'thanks' is about all that can be said. (I could be misreading the redittor's tone).

Lol, I suppose folks rushing to the defense of Elonco
I think the issue, at least as it appears to me, is that posts often will take a seemingly unrelated jab at SpaceX/Elon/Tesla, giving the appearance of bias and or an agenda.

Fictitious example:

Forum Poster: "Ah it looks like Blue Origin's BE-4 is having issues with the combustion chamber not melting during extended burns based on the green tinge to the flame in that video"

Responder: "Well it's not like SpaceX didn't have issues with running hardware-rich during Raptor development"

Is the Raptor point true? Sure... but when the discussion isn't comparing the two engines, not talking about development methodologies of the two companies, etc.. and the response makes a bit of a back-handed reference to "Elonco" when that that wasn't even part of the discussion, it tends to portray the agenda I referenced above.

Finally: this IS a SpaceX forum, so generally positive opinions are should be expected. And while pertinent factual "negative" info should be welcomed as well, seeming "pot shots" are not likely to be.

(Not an intent to attack, but honest observation since you were above "supposing" on why the reactions are what they are. Again I do appreciate your insights here... but it also does appear you have a bit of a slant against SpaceX... )

(additional note to mods: If this post, although well-meaning, is inappropriate here, please remove. Thanks.)

• Funny
Reactions: bxr140 and ecarfan