Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX investor's thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to apologize for providing some misinformation here. Looking more closely at the BPTRX holdings as of Dec. 31, one can see that there are actually multiple categories of SpaceX stock (which I hadn't noticed), and the total actually adds up to 5.15% of the fund. By the way, TD Ameritrade also fails to show SpaceX among the top ten holdings of BPTRX, even though it outranks both Charles Schwab (SCHW) and Guidewire Software (GWRE) which were at 5.06% and 4.85%, respectively, on Dec. 31.

Security: SPACE EXPLORATION TECHNOLOGIES
Shares: 311111
Value: 62943977.52
Percent value: 2.307561828494

Security: SPACE EXPLORATION TECHNOLOGIES CLASS I SHARES
Shares: 131657
Value: 26636844.24
Percent value: 0.976521780503

Security: SPACE EXPLORATION TECHNOLOGIES CLASS C COMMON STOCK
Shares: 30221
Value: 6114312.72
Percent value: 0.224154163687

Security: SPACE EXPLORATION TECHNOLOGIES CLASS A COMMON STOCK
Shares: 221631
Value: 44840383.92
Percent value: 1.643873844419

In addition, as of Dec. 31, Tesla was 16.9% of the fund:
Security: Tesla Inc
CUSIP: 88160R101
ISIN: 88160R101
Shares: 1100000.0
Value: 460163000.0
Percent value: 16.86983593224

According to Barron's latest fund fact sheet (30 March 2020), BPTIX (institutional version of BPTRX) is 5.7% SpaceX and 20.4% Tesla. I assume BPTRX is the same.

https://www.baronfunds.com/sites/default/files/Baron Partners Fund Fact Sheet_BPTIX_3.31.20_0.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: abasile and Renew
How exactly did you do this?

Thanks!

Through a Forge Global Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV). More details (and cautions) below. As others have mentioned, Sharespost also regularly offers investments in SpaceX through SPVs.

You have to be an Accredited Investor and minimums recently have been six figures.

I am a novice when it comes to SPVs but feel free to DM me if you have questions.

@blee321 -- over the past year Forge has had a few SpaceX shares available through SPVs (special purpose vehicles).

SPVs have unique risks above and beyond directly owning shares in a privately held company so I would definitely get advice from an experienced investment advisor and/or very experienced investors before even considering it.

If you do want to go that route you can put in a bid for SpaceX shares on the Forge website and if it's in the right range Forge will likely reach out to you if/when shares are available again. With Starlink ramping up I suspect they'll need to raise more $ relatively soon.

You must be an accredited investor and minimum investments are in the six figures.

Also, please feel free to DM me if you need more details.

How exactly did you do this?

Thanks!
I invested through Sharespost, which I believe either is merging or has merged with Forge. I guess the private equity world has consolidations too. Happy to share more info as well through a DM conversation. I am hopeful that Starlink is a spinoff IPO as the first way to release returns to investors, but I suppose Elon may also want to get a jump on the moon landings and grab some capital while the gettin's good. I read Adam Jonas suggested they might IPO in two years. I'd been trying to get in since 2014, so the valuation now is much higher, but so were the TSLA shares that allowed me to 'diversify' and buy in.

From the latest Fund Report I have on BPTRX. Differs somewhat from what I posted earlier.

94F88708-A3D9-4693-BA56-EFC8D583D87B.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the company holdings of BPTRX. E-Trade shows the initial purchase requirement is only $100.00 (no commissions), with no minimum dollar amount after that. Looking closer, the fund's 10 year annualized return is a decent 12.34%. However, the management expense ratio is on the high end.....2.22%. Not so noticeable during the good years, but over time investors will see a larger percentage of their gains erode. Appreciate Ron Baron's solid support for Tesla and SpaceX, but not willing to help increase his fortune. As the Sharks would say, I'm out!

• Informative
Reactions: Prunesquallor
I invested through Sharespost, which I believe either is merging or has merged with Forge. I guess the private equity world has consolidations too. Happy to share more info as well through a DM conversation. I am hopeful that Starlink is a spinoff IPO as the first way to release returns to investors, but I suppose Elon may also want to get a jump on the moon landings and grab some capital while the gettin's good. I read Adam Jonas suggested they might IPO in two years. I'd been trying to get in since 2014, so the valuation now is much higher, but so were the TSLA shares that allowed me to 'diversify' and buy in.
This is my exact story too - was trying to buy SpaceX shares since 2013 with no luck until now. I didn't even remember this thread existed even though I have a post on the first page. I am also purchasing my shares through Sharespost (thanks for the tip Cattledog) and am excited to finally own a small piece of SpaceX.

Reactions: EinSV