Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX investor's thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Nocturnal
I don't have access behind this paywall, maybe someone here does and can get us more info.

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare
I don't have access behind this paywall, maybe someone here does and can get us more info.

Several articles state there are at least two sources concerning the report of SpaceX receiving possible funding from Saudi and UAE investors. There's also at least some connection between the Saudi's and SpaceX. Two Saudi astronauts are scheduled to fly aboard a Crew Dragon capsule on the Axiom-2 mission scheduled for May to the ISS.....Note, Musk has denied the funding story.

Elon said that reports that the Saudis and UAE were planning to invest in SpaceX were “not true”.

So, what is true? His statement is accurate if just one or the other are planning, or if both have already invested in SpaceX, or several other scenarios. One problem with Elon blowing his credibility with endless falsehoods and misleading statements on Twitter is that nobody believes him any more, or at least they don't believe him unless he's completely unambiguous. And Elon is almost never unambiguous.

Reactions: Nikxice
So, what is true? His statement is accurate if just one or the other are planning, or if both have already invested in SpaceX, or several other scenarios. One problem with Elon blowing his credibility with endless falsehoods and misleading statements on Twitter is that nobody believes him any more, or at least they don't believe him unless he's completely unambiguous. And Elon is almost never unambiguous.
It doesn't matter what anyone says. Launch companies are under International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) rules. So foreign entities would not be allowed to directly invest in SpaceX. They definitely wouldn't be allowed access to protected information.

• Informative
Reactions: ecarfan
Reactions: Grendal
That the investing entity would have to go through major American investment companies and would have no power or access to SpaceX. I couldn't say for certain but I would expect that would be fine.
The no power&access part sounds right.
A foreign company can (or at least used to be able to) acquire an ITAR involved domestic if they put it under an independent intermediate company with it's own board and such to remove any influence.
Not sure if routing money through an intermediary helps, unless sourcing is kept opaque.
Caveat, foreign company was/ is long term US ally.

Pretty good article about SpaceX spinning out Starlink, and in particular how that would benefit TSLA shareholders since selling TSLA shares has been Elon's multi-billion $ bank account for the Twitter purchase.

Pretty good article about SpaceX spinning out Starlink, and in particular how that would benefit TSLA shareholders since selling TSLA shares has been Elon's multi-billion $ bank account for the Twitter purchase.

The Barron's article was paywalled after 2 paragraphs, but from the author, picked up on this quote......."The problem, though, is that all but Tesla are privately held, and therefore illiquid. When Musk needs money, his only option is to sell Tesla stock".....That's baloney, it's not his only option.

Sure, SpaceX stock is classified as an illiquid asset, but that's an overblown term. Musk even offered an explanation during his trial earlier this year. While defending his 2018 tweet, "Am considering taking Tesla private at $420", Musk stated under oath, "SpaceX stock alone meant 'funding secured' by itself. It's not that I want to sell SpaceX stock but I could have, and if you look at the Twitter transaction — that is what I did. I sold Tesla stock to complete the Twitter transaction. And I would have done the same here."....

Of course he won the case. It also seems plausible Elon's 'could sell SpaceX stock' testimony might just have helped his defense.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Here's the article, by Al Root:

SpaceX is the most valuable space company in the world—and it might offer Elon Musk the key to unlocking his empire.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: Dayreg and EinSV

“It would not be legal for me to speculate about a Starlink IPO,” Musk said Saturday when asked about it by Bloomberg’s Ashlee Vance in a Twitter Spaces talk. Then he broke out laughing.
I'm sure they are doing initial steps for IPO-ing just to run the numbers. I'm sure the public would like a piece of the action but does SpaceX really need the money? I would think that lots of money is flowing in just fine. But maybe there is some other reason they would want to break Starlink away from SpaceX.

Reactions: petit_bateau
I'm sure they are doing initial steps for IPO-ing just to run the numbers. I'm sure the public would like a piece of the action but does SpaceX really need the money? I would think that lots of money is flowing in just fine. But maybe there is some other reason they would want to break Starlink away from SpaceX.
They need the money.