Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - Integrated Flight Test #2 - Starbase TX - Including Post Launch Dissection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It do. I've been scrubbing around the hour-long video just to get a sense of what his cameras saw without wading through the geekfest about the photography and how exclusive the footage is. Starship definitely went boom somewhere near the Keys. The bad news is that if the FAA sees the footage, they're going to realize that if the flight termination system was triggered, it didn't do its job. The video shows the top half of the Starship intact, complete with its control surfaces, zipping along. But how do you take apart such a huge object?

The video is pretty amazing. It's blurry and jumps around, so we'll have to wait for the stabilized version, but there are times where you can clearly make out the shape of the ship.
Turning the ship into tiny bits is not a requirement of the FTS:
14 CFR Appendix D to Part 417 - Appendix D to Part 417—Flight Termination Systems, Components, Installation, and Monitoring
D417.3 Flight termination system functional requirements
(a) When a flight safety system terminates the flight of a vehicle because it has either violated a flight safety rule as defined in § 417.113 or the vehicle inadvertently separates or destructs as described in section D417.11, a flight termination system must:
(1) Render each propulsion system that has the capability of reaching a populated or other protected area, incapable of propulsion, without significant lateral or longitudinal deviation in the impact point. This includes each stage and any strap on motor or propulsion system that is part of any payload;​
(2) Terminate the flight of any inadvertently or prematurely separated propulsion system capable of reaching a populated or other protected area;​
(3) Destroy the pressure integrity of any solid propellant system to terminate all thrust or ensure that any residual thrust causes the propulsion system to tumble without significant lateral or longitudinal deviation in the impact point; and​
(4) Disperse any liquid propellant, whether by rupturing the propellant tank or other equivalent method, and initiate burning of any toxic liquid propellant.​
(b) A flight termination system must not cause any solid or liquid propellant to detonate.
(c) The flight termination of a propulsion system must not interfere with the flight termination of any other propulsion system.

While there were a lot of things happening in the booster just before RUD and any of those could have been the catalyst for its RUD, the Starship anomaly is very puzzling given that it was out of the atmosphere and the engines were firing perfectly fine and smooth for quite a long time, essentially in a steady state, and with only a few more seconds to engine shutoff and start of coast phase. There is no event happening at that time to disrupt the Starship functioning at that stage of the flight.

Normally if you are that far into the flight there are not a lot of bad things that can happen.
Possibly ran out of fuel or oxidiser and oversped the turbine. That would likely be fatal.

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
Turning the ship into tiny bits is not a requirement of the FTS:
Public safety is the requirement of the FTS. Are there failure modes of the current Starship FTS that could lead to endangering public safety? This was certainly an unusual outcome for a flight, and I'm sure the FAA will be looking at it carefully. We're talking about an intact upper half of Starship, complete with methane and header tanks, thermal tiles, aerodynamic surfaces, and up to 150 tons of cargo doing whatever it's going to do.

It may be that the back half just ate itself, and the FTS wasn't involved at all. I'm not sure how the FAA will feel about that, either.

Public safety is the requirement of the FTS. Are there failure modes of the current Starship FTS that could lead to endangering public safety? This was certainly an unusual outcome for a flight, and I'm sure the FAA will be looking at it carefully. We're talking about an intact upper half of Starship, complete with methane and header tanks, thermal tiles, aerodynamic surfaces, and up to 150 tons of cargo doing whatever it's going to do.

It may be that the back half just ate itself, and the FTS wasn't involved at all. I'm not sure how the FAA will feel about that, either.
Public safety is covered by flight path. At suborbital (or even orbital) speeds, there isn't a feasible way to make chunks of metal weigh less or have larger crossections to reduce terminal velocity. CRS-7 Dragon stayed intact, I believe.

Tanks only need to be empty.

It do. I've been scrubbing around the hour-long video just to get a sense of what his cameras saw without wading through the geekfest about the photography and how exclusive the footage is. Starship definitely went boom somewhere near the Keys. The bad news is that if the FAA sees the footage, they're going to realize that if the flight termination system was triggered, it didn't do its job. The video shows the top half of the Starship intact, complete with its control surfaces, zipping along. But how do you take apart such a huge object?

The video is pretty amazing. It's blurry and jumps around, so we'll have to wait for the stabilized version, but there are times where you can clearly make out the shape of the ship.
Cleaned up version
(Doesn't show much beyond POOF)

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare
1700415846981.png

We're talking about an intact upper half of Starship, complete with methane and header tanks, thermal tiles, aerodynamic surfaces, and up to 150 tons of cargo doing whatever it's going to do.
I thought I had seen all the videos posted in this thread, but I did not see anything that would lead me to that conclusion. Sorry, what did I miss? If that did happen, that’s seems very strange.

Last edited:
There's a photo of the top payload section with flaps on its own.
Edit, including photo
View attachment 992075
In other news, SpaceX posted zoom of stage separation

This is so cool to watch the three center engines starting off angled outside and then pivoting back to the normal position right after separation.

Question: I didn't see any cold gas thrusters firing from the top of the booster to change its attitude, but yet we see the booster attitude change immediately the second the separation happened.

Would have been great to have a camera positioned on top of the ship looking down.

This is so cool to watch the three center engines starting off angled outside and then pivoting back to the normal position right after separation.
Oh wow. Thanks for pointing that out. My expectation that they'd use the vacuum engines was completely wrong. They only use gimballed sea level engines. Color me shocked.

Question: I didn't see any cold gas thrusters firing from the top of the booster to change its attitude, but yet we see the booster attitude change immediately the second the separation happened.
The grid fins look active to me. Aren't they canted to the left?

Booster engines gimbaled over to flip ship. Plus, once off axis, the Ship exhaust would push on it also.
(Top thrusters plumes may have been obsured by Ship exhaust plume)

Oh wow. Thanks for pointing that out. My expectation that they'd use the vacuum engines was completely wrong. They only use gimballed sea level engines. Color me shocked.
They used both. RVac started first and sea level kicked on a little over a second later.
SmartSelect_20231119_193514_Firefox.jpg

Booster engines gimbaled over to flip ship. Plus, once off axis, the Ship exhaust would push on it also.
Tell me you don't see the grid fins canted over at separation.
They used both.
Yeah, I just came back in hopes of editing my post. I already knew they did that because of the telemetry, and argued as much. I was faked out by the fact that the glow from the vacuum engines is much dimmer than the sea level engines. Sigh. I hate getting old.