Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - Integrated Flight Test #2 - Starbase TX - Including Post Launch Dissection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given how bright the flare from the fins is at this same moment, it seems like the former, high reflectivity off the bottom of an exposed tank maybe?
I took it to be glare. A fire would be yellowish, per the fires in the engine bay on the first flight.

Are you seeing ~60 degrees counter clockwise rotation?
Yes.

Reactions: scaesare and mongo
Humm, assuming that was commanded and not an asymmetric exhaust induced mechanical failure, does it seem like an effort to present the least crossection to the flow?

Yeah maybe so.

If we call that fin the "top" one, the side fin (pointing at the camera), is harder to make out, but I think I see the edge line of it, and it seems like it does NOT rotate... but hard to tell for sure.

(I just realized X.com allows you to play videos at 0.25x speed.... I'm pretty sure that side fin doesn't rotate...)

does it seem like an effort to present the least crossection to the flow?
I don't think so. I've been watching it over and over. What I'm seeing now is a counterclockwise tilt to 30-45 degrees at the moment of staging. Either that's the exhaust damaging the grid vane or the grid vane being used to impart rotation. I continue to assume the latter because I can't see another reason for the booster to turn like that. If the engines were gimballing, then the bottom of the rocket would move out of line with the stack. Instead, the top moves out. I thought that perhaps the turn could be coming from asymmetrical venting from the interstage, but that wouldn't make much sense because the interstage would want to rotate instantly while the video shows a brief pause between separation and rotation.

In fact, the interstage is designed to dump exhaust right onto the grid fins. It sure looks intentional to me.

F_AlEZkaAAApsxR.jpg:large

I tried watching the grid fin after staging, but the video is so dark that I can't tell if it moved back.

I'm just happy that I'm not hallucinating the movement.

I don't think so. I've been watching it over and over. What I'm seeing now is a counterclockwise tilt to 30-45 degrees at the moment of staging.
30 would be my expected max for through fin flow. More than 45 and it seems like the opposite force direction would be imparted (if flow goes around fin)

or the grid vane being used to impart rotation. I continue to assume the latter because I can't see another reason for the booster to turn like that. If the engines were gimballing, then the bottom of the rocket would move out of line with the stack. Instead, the top moves out. I thought that perhaps the turn could be coming from asymmetrical venting from the interstage, but that wouldn't make much sense because the interstage would want to rotate instantly while the video shows a brief pause between separation and rotation.

Whether imparted by thruster, grid, or engine the booster will rotate around the center of mass which is much closer to the bottom than center due to engines, LOX, and thrust puck.

Plus, there is a lot of original velocity which skews observation.

In fact, the interstage is designed to dump exhaust right onto the grid fins. It sure looks intentional to me.
The hot ring has openings at the 6 interstructure load points defined by the three clamps and halfway points. Alignment to grid fins is a side-effect as the phasing was set pre-hot-ring. The photo shows the ship offset as it is rotated into place by the chopsticks.

Screenshot_20231120_111557_Firefox.jpg

Whether imparted by thruster, grid, or engine the booster will rotate around the center of mass which is much closer to the bottom than center due to engines, LOX, and thrust puck.
Yes, but if the engines gimbaled (which it doesn't look like they do, compared to Starship), their position close to the center of mass would produce more translation than rotation. I just don't see gimbaled engines producing that much rotation.

Alignment to grid fins is a side-effect as the phasing was set pre-hot-ring.
Ah, good point. I guess I'll just have to claim "fortunate coincidence", and continue to believe in grid fin turning via Starship exhaust.

Time will tell. My batting average with pet theories is around 0.100, so I won't be surprised to be wrong again.

Yes, but if the engines gimbaled (which it doesn't look like they do, compared to Starship), their position close to the center of mass would produce more translation than rotation. I just don't see gimbaled engines producing that much rotation.
Translation is forward velocity though, off axis thrust is rotation. Starship flip is largely gimbal induced.
I think lower center of mass does reduce the torque though. Top thrusters or fins would have an advantage in that respect, but in terms of total force, do engines win?

Everyday Astronaut shots of the launch. My favorites are actually the ones that keep the ground in view. It's great seeing the closeup of the rocket body, but I have the strongest emotional reaction to seeing a rocket physically transition from being on the ground to being in space. If you've never seen a rocket launch in person, I highly recommend it.

Reactions: scaesare
They're in the flow of Starship's exhaust at very close range. That exhaust caused a 500 ton booster to decelerate at roughly 0.7g for the time it was exposed to the exhaust, so there's some serious energy there.
64 m^2 of cross-section at sub 2 m distance is a bit different than the grid fin area vs plume column though...

Regarding gimballing, check the engine appearance during the flip. Stays fairly consistent until ? degrees into the flip which alignes with my preconceived notion of what engines tilting on a tiling body looks like

SmartSelect_20231120_155833_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20231120_155857_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20231120_155908_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20231120_155919_Firefox.jpg

Why are the grid fins not in the stowed position during ascent like Falcon 9? What purpose does it serve to have fins deployed before even boost back starts ?
They're out because they can't be stowed. They don't cause a lot of drag, but stowing them would add weight and complexity. It's doubly difficult because Starship's booster grid fins are made of steel, not titanium. So if they wanted to raise and lower them, they'd need a pretty hefty mechanism, or they could reduce the weight and make them of titanium, which would be more expensive.

It may be that in the future, when SpaceX is optimizing Starship, they'll figure out the perfect balance of factors and go back to stowable titanium grid fins. Given that they know they're going to be destroying vehicles during testing, they just want vehicles that they can fly as cheaply and as quickly as possible. That means stainless steel, heat tiles, and fixed steel grid fins.

Why are the grid fins not in the stowed position during ascent like Falcon 9? What purpose does it serve to have fins deployed before even boost back starts ?
SpaceX doesn't want to add in all the mechanisms (more mass) needed for "fin deployment." They probably did the math and figured the weight gain versus aero loss was not worth it.