Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare rims for winter tyres

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a set of 18" wheels for my M3P for winter use nearly two years ago. Because of the uncertainty over fitment of 18" wheels over the larger brake callipers on the performance model, standard Tesla 18" wheel won't fit, I went for proven aftermarket wheels designed for the M3P from the US company Tsportline. Delivery was 3 days! I fitted Goodyear Ultragrip Performance tyres as I have a performance M3 and have found them excellent, and much better than the winter types I used to use on my Porsche Boxster, which used to squirm with full throttle and corrupt the steering feel. The main difference I have found on my M3P winters is a softer ride due to the higher profile with 18" wheels and a nice power turn in corners, probably due to the higher profile tyres or softer rubber giving a bit on the rear where the majority of the power goes.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
I just ordered a set of cross climate which I aim to keep on the car for two years or so and then switch back for a summer into the nearly new pilots. 600 instead of 1800 for a spare set of wheels and tyres from Tesla.

Did you order the Crossclimate 2? There's quite a buzz going around about these being a step up in all aspects compared with (the already well respected) original Crossclimates.

Yes, Cross Climate 2. I need the car during winter and we do get snow in Scotland. Looked into getting a spare set of wheels but 1800 is just too much when you can just swap tires. Think I will run them until they are done and hope to time it with springtime to put the Pilot 4 back one as they are virtually new.

Yes, Cross Climate 2. I need the car during winter and we do get snow in Scotland. Looked into getting a spare set of wheels but 1800 is just too much when you can just swap tires. Think I will run them until they are done and hope to time it with springtime to put the Pilot 4 back one as they are virtually new.

Yes, I presently swap over tyres on the same rims. I have used full winter tyres (Goodyear Ultragrip) that have been great. I was sceptical about the ability of a tyre to perform well enough winter and summer but when my current sets are worn enough I will likely change to the Crossclimate 2. I found that even the winter tyres don't totally give up the ghost in warmer weather (I'm not talking timed laps here) so I'm much more confident that I would be happy with a suitable compromise tyre i.e the Crossclimate 2.

Reactions: CaptFish2003
I have a Landrover that came with winter tyres which I kept for two years and 30000 miles without problem. Then changed over to Goodyear all season tyres and have been using these for years. Considering our weather and the limited speed we are allowed to drive I feel that all season tyres are the best option.
We don’t get persistent snow, but it can catch you out, so having tyres which perform in snow and summer is important to me. Good luck with the tyres Michelin is offering discounts at the moment.

Based on past experience, when the Pilot Sports need replacing it will be with Cross Climates. I have a set that will go on the Morgan in November, Vital on a powerful rear drive control with no computer aided traction support.

I am considering putting the Cross Climate 2 on, now that the temperatures are dropping. The PS4s have plentry of thread left after 6k miles and I didn't have any issues last year with cold weather and even a bit of snow. Not loving he thought of trying that again though. The other option is to go for full winters and swap out with PS4 in April/May. I could try to sell my PS4s and just leave the CC2s on. Any advice?

I am considering putting the Cross Climate 2 on, now that the temperatures are dropping. The PS4s have plentry of thread left after 6k miles and I didn't have any issues last year with cold weather and even a bit of snow. Not loving he thought of trying that again though. The other option is to go for full winters and swap out with PS4 in April/May. I could try to sell my PS4s and just leave the CC2s on. Any advice?

As opined previously I went with Kleber (Michelin's 2nd brand) KrisAlp full winters as I may be crossing the Pyrenees in winter time. They are very quiet, more so than the PS4s. Good all-round performance and also economical.

As opined previously I went with Kleber (Michelin's 2nd brand) KrisAlp full winters as I may be crossing the Pyrenees in winter time. They are very quiet, more so than the PS4s. Good all-round performance and also economical.
Hi @M3noob Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't heard of Kelber, more to research! I have never done as much research into care reltated stuff than I have with the M3.