Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare Tire Option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there an option for a spare tire?

Just got a flat last week (luckily I had a full size spare and AAA which got me the rest of the 30 miles to work and then back home) , and thinking about it, I have had allot of flat tires since I started driving. I know allow of new cars do not provide spare tires, so then what happens when you get a flat? Call out of work and have the car towed to a tire center?

You just call Tesla Roadside Service and they will:

1) get a Tesla Service van to you.
2) get a loaner tire temporarily
3) tow your car to nearest Service Center to fix it.

About 50% of the time the flat tires are not fixable and require tire replacement. This would cost me allot of money should I have to take off work to go shopping for a new tire (the days pay plus hunting down a new tire) . The loaner idea is nice, but I don't think that it's a guaranteed thing. I have always been a fan of carrying a spare tire. Not sure what I think about being unable to carry one. I guess you could buy a box of tire plugs and a compressor and hope for the best? But that still way more time consuming and assumes your in a decent position to fix the tire.

About 50% of the time the flat tires are not fixable and require tire replacement. This would cost me allot of money should I have to take off work to go shopping for a new tire (the days pay plus hunting down a new tire) . The loaner idea is nice, but I don't think that it's a guaranteed thing. I have always been a fan of carrying a spare tire. Not sure what I think about being unable to carry one. I guess you could buy a box of tire plugs and a compressor and hope for the best? But that still way more time consuming and assumes your in a decent position to fix the tire.
my strategy so far is the plug kit and a good quality compressor.... but I have not actually fully thought it through....the car has no jack .. i could be wrong but it looks like it will be quite difficult to patch the tire while still on the axle....so maybe a jack and spare is the right answer

Reactions: kenbefound
also assuming Tesla roadside assistance is not free?

Roadside line is free.

Technically, tire service is not under the warranty and it should not be free.

However, I haven't heard any one got charged for flat tire tow service or tire loaner service so far. They do get charged for the tire service itself such as patching or tire replacement.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Zero CO2
I've had several flat tires over the past, um, many decades that I've been driving, and have yet to have a situation where I couldn't use a portable air compressor to get me to a tire place. One time it took two pumping stops (we were in the middle of Oregon somewhere), but it worked. Unless it's a blowout, most leaks are slow enough that you can pump them up faster than they leak down. They're cheap and small, and don't goop up the insides of the tire.

Has anyone actually put runflats on a tesla? Lots of comments about being rough etc. I have been running runflats (Michelin) on my corvette for almost 2 decades and have had 5 loss of air events. Drove home no big deal. Nice system.
However, is there a range penalty I wonder?

About the rough ride...well the 19 inch option will be rougher than the 18s and perhaps the 18+runflats will be an equivalent?

Except in the situation where you have completely destroyed your tire, if all you have is a nail or screw stuck in your tire that is causing a slow leak there is no need for a spare tire. You can quickly and easily repair the tire and be on your way in just a few minutes. All you need is a tire repair kit (about $5), a 12v air pump (about $25), and a pair of needle nose pliers. Nice extras to have is a screw driver and a spray bottle of water with a little dish soap in it (both to find the leak and clean your hands when you are finished).

Here are a couple of Youtube videos but you can watch many more of these on youtube.

If you notice the air pressure going down just find a safe place to pull off the road, then find the leak. If you have two people it is a little easier so one can let the car roll forward or backward to get the tire in a position you can easily fix it.

For years I have carried my kit on long distance trips but have only needed to use it with local driving. The last time was within the last year. I drove it to my local tire store but they would not fix it because the screw was in the tread but too close to the side wall. My choice was to fix it myself or buy a new tire. I decided to fix it myself with my travel kit and see how long the repair would work. It held and never needed to replace the tire.

If you are thinking that you do not know what to do and how to do it just watch these videos. It is so easy, and fast. You can fix the flat and be on you way again within 5 or 10 minutes. Much quicker that waiting on a tow truck or someone to come fix it for you. Also, I highly recommend that you NOT use the can of slime or foam to fix the leak. Yes, it will get you on your way so you can drive to a tire repair shop but then you have to purchase a new tire, as well as a new Tire Pressure Sensor. Both will be destroyed by the slime or foam. jmho

On my current car, I had an SUV drive over a piece of metal and throw it into my tire, slashing the sidewall and destroying the tire. This happened at night while I was in the fast lane. Luckily I have AAA they came and installed my full-size spare for me, and I continued on my way.

I had a few nail puncture flats over the next couple years that were patchable. I didn't use plugs but just inflated and took it to the discount tire and they fixed it free. I think once you put a plug in, you cannot patch the tire properly afterward?

Next flat I had last week was no slow leak and happened to me last week, I drove over something and it punctured a hole the size of a few mm into my tire, car pulled left pretty hard. The hole was pluggable but was on the side of the highway with the traffic.

I think it's good to carry, tire iron, jack, and plugs, and air compressor. But this isn't really something I would want to do on the side of the highway at night, especially if the tire was facing the traffic side, and if something slashes a huge tear in your tire sidewall plus are not really going to help. The Tesla assistance sounds nice, and maybe that's enough... I don't know. Sounds like it could take them quite a while to get to the car, and if there are no loaner tires available, it would end up as a really expensive tow since there is not necessarily a Tesla service center near you?

But it sounds like I am the only one with back luck blowing out tires.

Has anyone actually put runflats on a tesla? Lots of comments about being rough etc. I have been running runflats (Michelin) on my corvette for almost 2 decades and have had 5 loss of air events. Drove home no big deal. Nice system.
However, is there a range penalty I wonder?

About the rough ride...well the 19 inch option will be rougher than the 18s and perhaps the 18+runflats will be an equivalent?

run flats have horrible rolling resistance and will reduce your range noticeably vs the OEM tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=186

-5.5% MPG Bridgestone DriveGuard RFT vs Michelin Primacy MXV4 O.E. as tested on a 2014 BMW F30 328i Sedan

"Coming as not much of a surprise, the Bridgestone DriveGuard showed lower observed fuel economy during our road ride. The extra rubber reinforcement in the sidewalls needed to provide extended mobility adds weight and stiffness, both of which take more energy to roll down the road, even when properly inflated."

• Informative
Reactions: shrspeedblade
run flats have horrible rolling resistance and will reduce your range noticeably vs the OEM tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=186

-5.5% MPG Bridgestone DriveGuard RFT vs Michelin Primacy MXV4 O.E. as tested on a 2014 BMW F30 328i Sedan

"Coming as not much of a surprise, the Bridgestone DriveGuard showed lower observed fuel economy during our road ride. The extra rubber reinforcement in the sidewalls needed to provide extended mobility adds weight and stiffness, both of which take more energy to roll down the road, even when properly inflated."
Will a spare tire fit in the frunk? If not maybe just keep a spare tire at home?

I really must be nail magnet. Just got another flat yesterday night at 10:00. Right into the sidewall of the tires I bought when I started this thread. I think I better get a spare for the tesla, even if I have to keep it at the house...
Any commonality on where the flats have occurred? I used to get a lot of flat tires when bicycling to work some years ago. Traced it back to a bottle brush bush that was shedding thorns along the only part of the commute that was in common to both directions of travel.

Perhaps you have a grumpy neighbor or nail factory, or ? along the route? I've had maybe a half dozen flats in the past 40 years, none of which were so bad that I couldn't fill the tire with a small pump and drive for the few miles to a tire shop. A lot better than the goo.

• Helpful
Reactions: SteveG3
So has anyone found a donut sized wheel/tire that will fit for a temporary spare? It blows my mind that people are too lazy now a days to change their own tire. I'm sorry but I'd rather put on a spare and be on my way instead of 1) hoping I have mobile phone service and 2) waiting and waiting and waiting for road side service to show up. Besides with a spare you have the convenience to replace the tire at your convenience instead of getting raped by the nearest tire store for a replacement. So far I've found a steelie (18" 5x4.5) for $70 and cheapest full size tire for another $70. So that's $140 for a full size spare. I'd much rather have a smaller donut than a full size spare but I haven't been able to find anything.

Reactions: Glamisduner