Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculate: what will be included in the next major revamp of the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Side cameras could be used for several interesting things like safety and convenience features as well as reduced air drag.

Wouldn't replace the rear camera, but could supplement by detecting obstacles on the side of car while backing up like posts or curbs.

How much would you pay for those features?

I was asking how side view cameras would be implemented into the UI.

I was asking how side view cameras would be implemented into the UI.

On the left and right side areas where the apps run. I'd expect this to be just video; no computer vision or smarts.

Since those take away from other items like Nav I expect there to be some amount of Nav stuff to show up on the 17" for turn by turn extra information.

On the left and right side areas where the apps run. I'd expect this to be just video; no computer vision or smarts.

Since those take away from other items like Nav I expect there to be some amount of Nav stuff to show up on the 17" for turn by turn extra information.

That's where they were on the Model X prototype. It's possible they might change the driver's display to make it taller, putting the rear views up higher and leaving space for apps below.

The Model X nose design is not possible on a Model S. The X nose recesses from the top (hood) area. However, if you've ever taken your nose cone off, you'll know that there's a big steel bumper directly behind the nose cone. Right up against it. So any redesign, would have to stick out as far as the nose cone currently does. It would take an entire redesign of the front clip (frame) section of the car to accommodate a nose similar to the Model X.

Being that the nose cone sticks out further than the natural contour of the bumper cover to allow space for the steel bumper behind it, any redesign would have to stick out just as far for it to be a simple mid-cycle refresh of the current car.

I personally don't see it changing any time prior to the release of the Model 3 as that's their entire focus right now when it comes to designing. Once that car is released, then I'd say a year later, a redesign of the Model S will likely come. Tesla said 2017 for the Model 3, so we know that means more like the end of 2018 or 2019 in reality. So the current Model S should be good for another 3-5 years.

About the only true option available for the Model S without a nose cone is the Saleen front bumper cover. That however would also require changing the hood of the car since it won't fit up to the existing Model S hood. And Saleen's prices are ridiculous. I now see why they're in bankruptcy. If I remember correctly, something like $7,500 for an unpainted bumper cover. Total body kit was around $20,000, just for the body panels.

546b476b16adb_-__mg_8041.jpg

Oh ok. Sounds great, but I'd have to see it in action. Make sure it's adequate in low light and inclement weather (the rear view camera is pretty useless once wet).

I'd miss the apps, but I'm sure I'd get used to it.

TeslaPay -- just lightly tap the car in front of you to complete a transaction

AutoCoPilot -- as you drive through an unfamiliar intersection, the car suddenly yells at you, "NO, NO, TURN HERE!"

Relativistic Mode -- 0 to 60 in under a microsecond. Comes with a free spatula.

Flunk -- a thin storage compartment under the floor

:D

I'm trying to research if parts from a 2014 P85 will fit a 2016 90D I'm repairing but you distracted me. Thanks!

:D

I'm trying to research if parts from a 2014 P85 will fit a 2016 90D I'm repairing but you distracted me. Thanks!

That sounds like a tough project. Some parts would fit, but a lot won't. If the 90D is a refresh, a lot of the front end parts are different. A dual motor vs a single motor is going to have a lot of differences too Most 2014s don't have the sensor suite the newer cars have either.

TeslaPay -- just lightly tap the car in front of you to complete a transaction

AutoCoPilot -- as you drive through an unfamiliar intersection, the car suddenly yells at you, "NO, NO, TURN HERE!"

Relativistic Mode -- 0 to 60 in under a microsecond. Comes with a free spatula.

Flunk -- a thin storage compartment under the floor
How about a clock that runs in Elon time?

What I'd like in my wildest, most unrealistic dreams:
  • Navigation system that lists all Superchargers within range.
  • On Ramp to Off Ramp autopilot in >50% of highway trips
  • Autopilot that doesn't attempt to sideswipe trucks
  • Automatic parking and summoning to and from my garage to the street
  • Automatic parking in parking lots and streets with >50% reliability
  • 12V battery that lasts > 2 years
  • Entertainment system that supports playlists
  • Usable cup holders

• Funny
Reactions: gowthamn
Rear reclining seats, HUD, auto open doors (as in model X, rear cross traffic alert, blind spot sensors in mirror, new steering wheel, cooling seats, vent seats...maybe landscape screen vs vertical (huge maybe).

These would definitely refresh the interior and options quite well.