Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Speculation] Big price drop for used MS after battery day announcements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m hoping they will announce an upgrade path for older batteries. Would be the green thing to do rather than cause all the older cars to get scrapped.

Wrong kind of green. Elon is only interested in money and swapping batteries isn't the same profit as selling a new car with those same batteries. Elon is hammering how cell starved Tesla is for new production. Not happening. But I would love to be proven wrong.

Wrong kind of green. Elon is only interested in money and swapping batteries isn't the same profit as selling a new car with those same batteries. Elon is hammering how cell starved Tesla is for new production. Not happening. But I would love to be proven wrong.

I agree with this. Doubt it will happen, but you never know. They did have a battery upgrade for the OG roadster.

I’m hopeful for two reasons (guesses/wishes)- they just signed some sort of deal with Panasonic to expand production (Panasonic spending $$ to increase capacity) and think that relates to the older batteries.

second, it keeps competitors out of their sandbox. What’s to keep a startup from offering “next gen” batteries for older S’s that are out of warranty?

Plaid version Model S announced. You can order it now. Delivery late 2021. Awesome specs.
$139,990
I doubt many people will dump their Model S for this ubercar. Wouldn't expect it to have much effect on used S prices.

Model S Plaid includes:
  • Quickest 0-60 mph and quarter mile acceleration of any production car ever
  • Acceleration from 0-60 mph: <2.0 s
  • Quarter mile: <9.0 s
  • 1,100+ horsepower
  • Tri Motor All-Wheel Drive
Beginning late 2021

Considering it’s basically the price of a blown out S 3-4 years ago, it isn’t too far fetched.
86D689D1-616D-4C68-992F-1563E9DF2DEA.png
C6BE51FF-9F51-4708-8661-B903CAFEF681.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m hoping they will announce an upgrade path for older batteries. Would be the green thing to do rather than cause all the older cars to get scrapped.

Probably not going to happen. If you watched the battery day event, they mentioned these new batteries would require new structural changes in the chassis. This sort of nips that idea in the bud.

Wonder if they will alter the body of the car to fit CCS port for Europe. Right now it seems like they have made no changes.
In Europe with Type 2, you can only charge up to 150 kW. Kinda dumb if you come with a badass Plaid, and a model 3 SR charges faster than you :p

Probably not going to happen. If you watched the battery day event, they mentioned these new batteries would require new structural changes in the chassis. This sort of nips that idea in the bud.

Upgrade path will be like the roadster. Years late. Assuming Musk definitively said there would be an upgrade. If Musk said maybe on an upgrade path then I agree that there will be no upgrade. Upgrading is using resources for an unprofitable task.

What the battery event demonstrated was Tesla continuing shift to a large industrial company. The S/X were always a means to an end of making millions of cars. Musk's interest in these cars will probably continue to decline.