Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation - Carbon Fiber Spoiler now offered because new Model S design is close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess a benefit of purchasing it separately is that you can have it painted to match the body color... I'm not a fan of the look of exposed carbon fiber.
It comes with installation, and is only shipped to the service centre, so I doubt it's that simple.

- - - Updated - - -

My 85 is feeling a little pokey, so I think I'll buy one. Do I have to install it to make my car faster, or is just having it enough?
To make your car faster you should buy multiples and attach them everywhere on the car, the more the better!

To be fair, Tesla says it increases stability, not speed.

It comes with installation, and is only shipped to the service centre, so I doubt it's that simple.

They can install it pretty fast. My CPO had it on the purchase agreement sitting on the dash at delivery, but it wasn't on the car. I asked and they said we will be right back. Literally less than 5 minutes later the car was back with the spoiler on it.

They can install it pretty fast. My CPO had it on the purchase agreement sitting on the dash at delivery, but it wasn't on the car. I asked and they said we will be right back. Literally less than 5 minutes later the car was back with the spoiler on it.
it is actually attached with double sided tape (pre-attached to the spoiler) so it really isn't that complex a task. But that doesn't change the fact that they say they'll only ship it to a service centre, and that the SC must install it. (Typical Tesla)

The spoiler has always been available from Tesla parts department. It has been simply added to the online store. The same thing just happened for auto-pilot....It means.... nothing.

it is actually attached with double sided tape (pre-attached to the spoiler) so it really isn't that complex a task. But that doesn't change the fact that they say they'll only ship it to a service centre, and that the SC must install it. (Typical Tesla)

The spoiler has always been available from Tesla parts department. It has been simply added to the online store. The same thing just happened for auto-pilot....It means.... nothing.
I fully agree that it could mean absolutely nothing, but to say it has "always been available" is a bit of an exaggeration, as previously it was only available to people with a "P" branded car, whereas now there is no listed restriction, that's a change/

for $1,500, i might as well just upgrade to the p. I think i'm going to get one off ebay

lol $1,500...

oh-wait-youre-serious-let-me-laugh-even-harder.jpg

Really?!?:scared: WTF Tesla?

Mine looks as good as day one and has saved my trunk lid in low parking garages multiple times without one mark at all. But my girl has a soft life, I must say.

I thought the spoiler was solid and "genuine" carbon. If I had known it was crap, I would not have let them put it on, even though it was included in my package. I HATE crap products. Chalk it up once again to my ignorance and my bad habit of expecting the best out of people.:mad: I cannot tell you how many times I have had to learn this damn painful lesson. I may well never learn.

My faith in this great company has begun to wane over the past past few months due to so many poor reports on so many things. It really makes me sad. And I'm pissed as a shareholder with a big position, for me. I have recently begun to see them going the way of all other companies: to the "let's build it as cheap as we can and still get away with it" model. I had hoped, foolishly, that Elon might break that mold. But I guess Wall Street is just too powerful and ends up stifling all that could be good in search of the all mighty profit. It's so terribly disappointing to me.

F-em. Not Tesla, Wall Street.

Sorry for the overreaction. But hearing these things about quality is starting to get to me!

The spoiler is not of particularly high quality. I just had mine replaced by service because the carbon fiber pattern was being worn off revealing white fiberglass or plastic underneath... worn off by the wind!

I much prefer the T-sportline spoiler. Don't like that the Tesla spoiler falls short on both sides as far as the width of the trunk. Also, from the rear, it just sits on top of the decklid. The T-Sportline spoiler stretches the entire width of the trunk and contours over the trunk edge and Tesla logo. Much nicer in my opinion and cheaper at $1,100.

Tesla trunk wing spoiler carbon fiber - T Sportline

I see Factory replica spoilers on E-bay for $300 to $500. It's a piece of fiberglass, no reason why one should be $300 and another $1,500. Link below is for $298. Looks the same to me!

Carbon Fiber Trunk Lip Spoiler for Tesla Model s 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 | eBay

My neighbor added the spoiler for his S70 five months ago from Tesla parts. No restrictions on buying it. The only advantages for P cars was a price break when ordering new.

I fully agree that it could mean absolutely nothing, but to say it has "always been available" is a bit of an exaggeration, as previously it was only available to people with a "P" branded car, whereas now there is no listed restriction, that's a change/

Zero offense meant to Tesla on this one, but the carbon fiber covered, plastic core spoiler can be had for under 300 on amazon and its almost identical (glossy finish as opposed to matte). Just an FYI for those of you looking at that as an option.

- - - Updated - - -

Be careful not to put more on one side of the car than the other though because then you'll just go in circles!

It is simple to put on, just 3m double sided tape.

I much prefer the T-sportline spoiler. Don't like that the Tesla spoiler falls short on both sides as far as the width of the trunk. Also, from the rear, it just sits on top of the decklid. The T-Sportline spoiler stretches the entire width of the trunk and contours over the trunk edge and Tesla logo. Much nicer in my opinion and cheaper at $1,100.

Tesla trunk wing spoiler carbon fiber - T Sportline
I'll admit that it does look a little nicer, but I do wonder. Tesla advertises theirs as not just being cosmetic, but functional as well, I wonder if any of the other ones that look a little different actually provide the same function? (not that I expect it makes a big difference, but I'm curious)

I've also seen some more aggressive looking spoilers out there like the revozport one, which I kind of like too, and it's also cheaper than the Tesla one. R-Zentric Products by Revozport