Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation - Carbon Fiber Spoiler now offered because new Model S design is close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll admit that it does look a little nicer, but I do wonder. Tesla advertises theirs as not just being cosmetic, but functional as well, I wonder if any of the other ones that look a little different actually provide the same function? (not that I expect it makes a big difference, but I'm curious)

I've also seen some more aggressive looking spoilers out there like the revozport one, which I kind of like too, and it's also cheaper than the Tesla one. R-Zentric Products by Revozport

That spoiler looks wickedly hot!

Sorry for piling on here & for maybe coming across as cheap, but $1500 is crazy expensive for a fixed imitation carbon fiber add-on. I like the cosmetics on the car but it can't be very effective at any speed. It looks cool but I think that's about it.

For the record, I don't know if the spoiler is made out of fiberglass or plastic. I just know that the left and right top-most edges, the ones likely exposed to the highest wind velocity, were abraded revealing a white-ish material underneath. The transition between the white material and the remaining CF was totally smooth if you ran your hand over it, almost as if it were the same material but a little bit of paint or finish came off.

Sorry for piling on here & for maybe coming across as cheap, but $1500 is crazy expensive for a fixed imitation carbon fiber add-on. I like the cosmetics on the car but it can't be very effective at any speed. It looks cool but I think that's about it.

They have them on amazon for less than 300. They are at least carbon fiber wrapped, although the core may be plastic. Very nice looking though.

For the record, I don't know if the spoiler is made out of fiberglass or plastic. I just know that the left and right top-most edges, the ones likely exposed to the highest wind velocity, were abraded revealing a white-ish material underneath. The transition between the white material and the remaining CF was totally smooth if you ran your hand over it, almost as if it were the same material but a little bit of paint or finish came off.
Unfortunately it's hydrographics:

Just buy a polystyrene spoiler about the right shape and length on eBat, and some carbon-fiber pattern wrap there as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found it kind of funny that the operator of the hydrographic process was wearing latex gloves but has to dip both his arms into the solution!
Yeah. It's just water and a decal. Very benign. (and cheep) Although that spray they put on right before dipping I suspect is an adhesive.

BTW, this (and wrap) is how almost all "carbon fiber" trim is made these days, including the optional interior for the Tesla. Vastly cheaper than actual CF. {sound of balloons deflating}

Last edited:

could just be the resin component being ablated away and showing white. i have a full [yes real] carbon fiber top for my miata and any chips or warn edges show as a whiteish-yellow due to the IOR or... something.

take a picture and let us see.

i skipped on the carbon trim for my P90D because... well its just trim and opted out of the spoiler because it spoils [teeheehee] the surprise.

I just received my ebay spoiler from the same link a couple of us posted above. I do not yet have my new Model S, but placed it on a friend's car to check the fit. I found the same issue that others have, in that it there is a slight gap on the left side. I may try the heat gun method suggested above. Has anyone else tried this?

I took a look at my aftermarket spoiler again. Being that there is a very slight gap on the left side, I have been thinking of ways to improve this prior to its installation. I really think a heat gun is not a good idea. Looking at the glossy coating, I fear that it may melt. I may try to clamp it down and place some weights on that end, slowly stretching it into a better position.