Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

**Speculation** - Final "steering system"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all of the hand-wringing over an apparent lack of HUD, I had an idea. Elon never said there would not be any additional driver information and I think that the "steering system" will incorporate a non-rotating screen in the entire center of the wheel (or yoke) and the whole assembly will retract into the dash when in autopilot.

To do this, you would need to relocate the drivers airbag - into the dash right were an instrument cluster traditionally would live.

We will see...

I think that the "steering system" will incorporate a non-rotating screen in the entire center of the wheel (or yoke) and the whole assembly will retract into the dash when in autopilot.

In a $35K car? No. I think it is more likely the car will talk to the driver and the driver talk to the car. My Prius already does that in a soothing female voice. We like it.

• Informative
Reactions: strykeroz
With all of the hand-wringing over an apparent lack of HUD, I had an idea. Elon never said there would not be any additional driver information and I think that the "steering system" will incorporate a non-rotating screen in the entire center of the wheel (or yoke) and the whole assembly will retract into the dash when in autopilot.

To do this, you would need to relocate the drivers airbag - into the dash right were an instrument cluster traditionally would live.

We will see...
I believe Elon said it will be one simple screen and no HUD. The Model S gets the "fancy" stuff

I understand that the M3 will NOT get a HUD.... But a HUD isn't really a "new" fan-dangled piece of hi tech. They have been around for a long time....

I'm just hoping they didn't cut corners when they went pencils down! I think people expected the interior to change rather dramatically.

I understand that the M3 will NOT get a HUD.... But a HUD isn't really a "new" fan-dangled piece of hi tech. They have been around for a long time....

I'm just hoping they didn't cut corners when they went pencils down! I think people expected the interior to change rather dramatically.

Depends on the HUD. The nearly full windshield coverage AR HUD many of us were speculating about that Panasonic demoed at CES certainly would be fancy new fangled technology - and seems so naturally Tesla that I still suspect it'll show up at some point in the future.

... I think that the "steering system" will incorporate a non-rotating screen in the entire center of the wheel (or yoke) and the whole assembly will retract into the dash when in autopilot.
Putting any sort of information on the steering wheel would be a terrible idea for anyone that is older, or just has bad eyes that take time to change their focal point to something that close.

So it would be a race to see which got to the steering wheel first, your face or the air bag coming from behind it?

I have a feeling that some sort of augmented reality will show up after the Federal Tax credit is gone. It would give the people that missed out on the tax credit something big that would make it worth that they missed out. Plus gives them some time to perfect it. That tax credit is a big reason why people are buying or can afford this car. Once its gone they are going to need something big that adds significant value to the car. If it's not augmented reality it will be something else "BIG LEAGUE". It will surely be something that will turn a frown from missing out on the tax credit into a big smile. Buyers will not feel like they missed out as much. Personally, I am waiting to see what the Model 3 final cost for the PxxDL and its level of performance. I can't see spending 70+ grand on a car without some serious bells and whistles and killer performance. 70 ++ grand can buy a serious machine. I'm sure that Elon has something planned that will blow everyone away at the final reveal, and send all these other car manufacturers home crying to their mommy. It's going to be mic drop material, I hope!!!!