Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation - New charging plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really. Japan is one of the largest EV markets in the world, only behind the USA. Combined I'm pretty sure they make up way more than half of total EV sales in the world.

Yeah, but Japan really isn't relevant most of the time, as far as standardization of anything goes. It is a world of its own.

Not trying to belittle it. I love the place to bits. But the isolationism lives on.

Reactions: arnis
Yeah, but Japan really isn't relevant most of the time, as far as standardization of anything goes. It is a world of its own.

Not trying to belittle it. I love the place to bits. But the isolationism lives on.
As I posted earlier on, global standardization isn't likely to happen. Japan is dead set on CHAdeMO. China (which is growing to be the other large EV market) is dead set on GB/T. There is no good reason for US to adopt Type 2 (3 phase is just way too rare).

The only time it causes a problem is shipping the cars between these regions, but in a practical sense, it doesn't matter.

As I posted earlier on, global standardization isn't likely to happen. Japan is dead set on CHAdeMO. China (which is growing to be the other large EV market) is dead set on GB/T. There is no good reason for US to adopt Type 2 (3 phase is just way too rare).

The only time it causes a problem is shipping the cars between these regions, but in a practical sense, it doesn't matter.

I agree global standardization isn't going to happen.

I'm simply saying Japan - anyway - does not matter. Alternative fuels wise (EV charging technologies included), whatever happens in Japan happens in Japan and has no bearing on anything else, anywhere...

I agree global standardization isn't going to happen.

I'm simply saying Japan - anyway - does not matter. Alternative fuels wise (EV charging technologies included), whatever happens in Japan happens in Japan and has no bearing on anything else, anywhere...
Well CHAdeMO was their effort to extend influence everywhere, but the US and Europe makers fought back.

It would make sense for the port to be motorized for the robot snake charger but the picture doesn't look like it would be motorized, it doesn't look much different than a conventional ICE fuel door with the similar type of hinge. I wouldn't be surprised if they leave a motorized port off the 3 along with no LED color ring, they have to differentiate somehow.

But it wouldn't be noticeable to the majority of Model 3 owners, who are going to be first time EV owners.

You won't notice that it's "new", because the whole EV experience is new to you. If the CCS port was "always there" for you........

If you think Tesla will release Model 3 with more versatile charging than Model S/X, I think that strains credibility. If I was a Model S/X owner, I'd consider the lack of a dedicated CCS port (or at least a bundled adapter) as a downgrade.

The tweet was in reply to the Model S/X feature list, so it makes sense.

It would make sense for the port to be motorized for the robot snake charger but the picture doesn't look like it would be motorized, it doesn't look much different than a conventional ICE fuel door with the similar type of hinge. I wouldn't be surprised if they leave a motorized port off the 3 along with no LED color ring, they have to differentiate somehow.

Differentiate by making it suck? Compared to the elegant S/X charge port, this looks like something an intern hacked together after lunch.

In fact the more I think about it, the more I think this can't be the final design. Why would you go for a huge ugly piece of black plastic on the side of the tail light, when you could have a reflector? Instead of this ridiculous flap, why not just have a conventional ICE-type door in the bodywork, like the BMW i3 for example. It would actually be less ugly, more robust, and function just as well.

Wow, nice catch! So the charge port door on this RC opens vertically? Hmmm...

Question: did it seem like there was some kind of thin cloth/plastic "cover" surrounding the charge port? The reason I ask -- and y'all feel free to call me completely nuts on this one -- I almost see the shadow of the two lower CCS pins below the Tesla connector (see enhanced image below). Is there an alternate explanation for what I'm seeing here?

View attachment 227967

If, hypothetically, this port accepts a CCS connector (which, as we know, is a big honkin' beast of a plug), that would certainly explain why the charge port door opens upward, rather than sideways like the S/X...

This doesn't look like a finished product to me.

Reactions: Model 3
Wow, nice catch! So the charge port door on this RC opens vertically? Hmmm...

Unexpected this was - and unfortunate.

I'm really not sure why they'd make this design choice. It puts the lid in the way of people trying to plug in, and of the snake if it stores vertically like the prototype did.

Obviously it can be worked around - you can lean over to see if you're putting the plug in the right place - but why make the choice to begin with? What are they gaining?

It doesn't even seat against the car edge to make a rain shield, so I'm not seeing any benefit to it at all, and I do see significant downsides. Of course, I could be missing something - it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Obviously it can be worked around - you can lean over to see if you're putting the plug in the right place - but why make the choice to begin with? What are they gaining?
Then, the only reasons the hinge would be on top are that there is something internal that's in the way of it opening to either side, or that the potential thing(s) that plug into it might be wider (vs taller) than the opening. I can't imagine what either might be, but those seem to be the choices.

Then, the only reasons the hinge would be on top are that there is something internal that's in the way of it opening to either side, or that the potential thing(s) that plug into it might be wider (vs taller) than the opening. I can't imagine what either might be, but those seem to be the choices.
Protection against rain, snow and ICE? Various S owners in colder places have reported plugs to freeze after rain or snow.

This might work as a cover.

And yes, it is big enough to fit CCS in Europe. I al betting on it!

Protection against rain, snow and ICE? Various S owners in colder places have reported plugs to freeze after rain or snow.

This might work as a cover.

And yes, it is big enough to fit CCS in Europe. I al betting on it!
As Saghost noted, it's not sealed to the car on top, so no rain/snow protection. Maybe heat (sun shade)?

It's got to be either because the hinge internally would bump into something, or to move it out of the way for some odd-ball plug they're planning. Making it so you can't see what you are plugging into is so bad a design that it had to have been done on purpose, as the least-bad of the alternatives. Will someone going to the early reveal party ask Franz what they were thinking?

Reactions: Falkirk
Since the J1772 is backwards compatible to the CCS, can you take the Tesla J1772 adapter grind a clearance notch in it at the "bottom" of the circle and slip it onto a CCS charge plug and use it like that?

The locally available Level 2 chargers are all Chademo + CCS, so the Model 3 REALLY needs to either have a CCS port in addition to the Tesla charge port, or a CCs adapter.

I'm in a second floor apartment, and even though I can run a power cord out the window to my 3, the apartment manager already said that wouldn't be a good idea.

• Funny
Reactions: Falkirk
As Saghost noted, it's not sealed to the car on top, so no rain/snow protection. Maybe heat (sun shade)?

It's got to be either because the hinge internally would bump into something, or to move it out of the way for some odd-ball plug they're planning. Making it so you can't see what you are plugging into is so bad a design that it had to have been done on purpose, as the least-bad of the alternatives. Will someone going to the early reveal party ask Franz what they were thinking?
It seems obvious to me - the door is so large, they simply put the hinge on the longest edge, for the most support. As for why that hinge looks so flimsy, and why it's such a large door in the first place... definitely things to ask Franz :)

Unexpected this was - and unfortunate.

I'm really not sure why they'd make this design choice. It puts the lid in the way of people trying to plug in, and of the snake if it stores vertically like the prototype did.

It doesn't even seat against the car edge to make a rain shield, so I'm not seeing any benefit to it at all, and I do see significant downsides. Of course, I could be missing something - it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Doesn't look to me like it's obvious the flap will block the view when plugging in. It seems like it opens almost 180 degrees (not ~90 degrees like the Model S port). That shouldn't block the view at all.

If they put the hinge on the short edge, then the door swing would be much farther. Putting it on the long edge seems to make much more sense.

Reactions: arnis and Model 3
Why would you go for a huge ugly piece of black plastic on the side of the tail light, when you could have a reflector?

We have already seen a final-looking top of that big cover which indeed has a reflector on it. The black cover seems to have been camo...

This is the final port size, of that I am sure (as sure as one can be based on Tesla precedent). Whether the port interior is final for launch remains to be seen...

If you think Tesla will release Model 3 with more versatile charging than Model S/X, I think that strains credibility. If I was a Model S/X owner, I'd consider the lack of a dedicated CCS port (or at least a bundled adapter) as a downgrade.

That is why I expect new Model S/X to get the new charger at the same time as Model 3 through a re-designed tail-light assembly...

Whether the new port(s) come starting from Model 3 launch or later remains to be seen.

If I was ordering a Model S/X, I would sure wait until Q3 before doing so...

Maybe this will clear up some of the questions
52D3ZDgfOELTTAyThMt5k2Rr1YP6A0VNonpgB7kSouSTKYJi9Be7SG_zdoxL5tCFjXDkaT_9AWHjhGzsRjH_XNFmBivimSIlxHl0dQmL1dWm218daPZOqeFpMDZs5mAwyCPvnohri1J9_spImYBfa2k5vl1UBs4y7WNPtOfUwb9I4DwfwmDnxqCa3E5wKg0lnJjvlCmByl1_j6wJUBVvqW_E_zF3P6q5-RvF_2IYVdrsBps8kIfdXPIxAcrST0MqsjDvhu5-Ieh5ERu8FjFJykR0IOiYgOk-jxAawWqY5-xaJmSx7dfx4TCQuk405Fy3jKtaWrHQHOYBsH-i_ahpGXl6Rl9cu026nKJ6-F3NAME-r3UziJyoSIuwYEiG-VPULfRy3VRMjfN9RB7Qn0KI9DtWpMiIXJqo5GMqKJ91YaEVaw9pPfY7oCPRvxvtQYxYkDXsDqrLSXrRkQwmUc3pVcuBC8EGrn3d9Yh1BnPxE9D7F8cbnlk4sE3sVsTWhyeg32-IM6qxGHhqkTsPbMw2ULSELgOGlOYeZJzUYPKQa-bwoxw1-5ECQP0kj1fw_HyGeTwQ4BWfxbwMG8v_ZdIDjlvUTmEJDVMk0Hbxkn64Ms5ICPt4U5exapwE3xRgiToWxbGqywiwNr2YGq5-XIpGg6eFyEu9kSBPqkAECHdrJ8s=w1305-h870-no

I don't think this is particularly meaningful. These are pre-release cars, and they don't include all features that we will see in production.

There is certainly room for a CCS port under that big door.

Last edited: