Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed assist with cruise control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dilly

Feb 24, 2020
Norfolk
On my way to collect and deliver prescriptions, I was able to have a proper play with cruise control and speed assist.
I set speed assist to relative + or - 0mph before I left.
Set off in a 60mph limit in cruise doing 60. Came to 50mph limit, speed didn’t drop but limit changed to 50 on screen. Braked and put cruise on again now doing 50mph. Came to a 60mph limit, speed limit changed on screen but speed stayed at 50mph.

am I missing something or does cruise with speed assist not adjust the car’s speed to recognised speed limit changes automatically?

The manual says no it doesn't - it shows the speed limit on the right in a speed limit sign icon, but the cruise control target speed doesn't change automatically to it.

uhkl.png

But some owners have said they've seen it automatically change (and not just for approaching a junction or sharp bend, when the car will reduce speed but not because of a change in speed limit)

I tried tapping both the speed limit nearest the steering wheel and the one displaying actual speed. Nothing happened.
Perhaps I just missed.
If I read the manual right, tapping the speed limit should drop or raise actual speed.
I’ll have another go on my next trip.

Thanks for the tapping speed icon - will definitely try that.

Thing I notice that bugs me is it automatically reducing speed limit on sliproads. e.g. I move from a dual-carriageway to the M6-Toll (both 70mph) and it always tries to slow me down to 50mph. Sometimes does this when driving on left-lane of motorway and I pass an exit sliproad too. Pretty annoying and dangerous

I tried tapping both the speed limit nearest the steering wheel and the one displaying actual speed. Nothing happened.
Perhaps I just missed.
If I read the manual right, tapping the speed limit should drop or raise actual speed.
I’ll have another go on my next trip.
Dunno if it the same on the M3 as the MX but on mine, if I press the lever (which originally controls Cruise/autodrive) you can control the speed it is set to. A partial press down reduces cruise speed by 1mph, or a press all the way down by 5mph - so press down twice would reduce the set speed by 10mph - works the opposite way for upwards motion (this is up and down rather than away and towards you just for clarity - that controls turning the cruise on and off)

Hope that helps...

The manual says no it doesn't - it shows the speed limit on the right in a speed limit sign icon, but the cruise control target speed doesn't change automatically to it.

uhkl.png

But some owners have said they've seen it automatically change (and not just for approaching a junction or sharp bend, when the car will reduce speed but not because of a change in speed limit)
Iv had mine auto drop 10 mph into a y junction {two roads merging} near Preston new road to account for the merging. I think it learnt cars are slowing there for roadworks further down and the merge. Noone asks it to slow and it does all its own. Not sure if a feature or what. This is when a car is way to far in front to effect speed by tacc.

Iv had mine auto drop 10 mph into a y junction {two roads merging} near Preston new road to account for the merging. I think it learnt cars are slowing there for roadworks further down and the merge. Noone asks it to slow and it does all its own. Not sure if a feature or what. This is when a car is way to far in front to effect speed by tacc.

It doesn't learn like that but it will automatically slow down if its approaching a bend

Recent laws have said nop its bang on the speed. As the guns are more accurate now.

This isn't the case. The law was always the speed limit but the association of chief police officers (ACPO) had a recommendation to prosecute at 10%+2 over the limit, but this was a recomendation and not obligatory and some police forces and is some situations the speed limit was used.