Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed vs efficiency data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've always taken a bit of issue with this TeslaFi graph, because I'm almost positive it uses the average speed and efficiency for the entire drive, not individual segments from each drive. So a drive with 5 minutes of highway cruising at 80 with 5 minutes of parking at effectively 0mph will have the same average speed as something like a 10 minute drive at ~30mph of constant speed. In reality I find it just shifts my efficiency about 10-20mph slower than they are.

For a standard YLR here's my data over 1 year and only drives over 5 miles:
1717524631803.png

I'd love to see OP's data for miles recorded for each of the bands. I can tell you personally that my 70, 75, and 80 bands are each a single drive from road trips where I basically went straight onto a highway and straight off to a supercharger.

It’s really more of a misnomer that nothing reaches 100%..
I’d be interested where all the data comes from, is it TeslaFI or track my tesla?..

So, while these mph numbers are averages, there probably aren’t enough captured trips, of long enough duration that were really JUST at 30-35, or 35-40, etc to make the real efficiency at those speed ranges more precise and evident of what the abosolute efficiency is at that fairly specific speed.
I think you missed the point. The poster said in this context that "efficiency" is fraction of rated range, in other words the EPA cycle drive data, which itself is a prescribed average for peer comparison and not absolute.

This is a graph showing the efficiency vs speed driven. It's approx 25k miles of data from my Model Y Performance.
100% efficiency is considered 'rated range'. Basically the energy consumption that would give you the range the car shows.
I think the graph is helpful to understand how speed affects range.
Thanks for posting this; I am very weary of people posting how wrong the advertised range is compared to their experience. Later in the same post they will admit traveling at a brisk 75mph. Air resistance goes by the square of velocity so of course not, as you visually illustrate.

You work your right foot precisely using the regen/power bar to be at zero power :)
You can also set your car to Neutral but I wouldn't recommend that as you will have no power if you ever need it in an emergency.
Model 3/Y have permanent magnet motors which have drag when unpowered. So the appearance of “coasting” actually requires power input.

Therefore there’s nothing special about “coasting” in terms of driving efficiency, other than the general idea of avoiding regen braking. However this is not necessarily true of all electric cars.

Model 3/Y have permanent magnet motors which have drag when unpowered. So the appearance of “coasting” actually requires power input.

Therefore there’s nothing special about “coasting” in terms of driving efficiency, other than the general idea of avoiding regen braking. However this is not necessarily true of all electric cars.
All I can say is with Tesla and Ioniq when I take my foot off accelrator the bar goes green in the opposite direction (meaning giving power back to batteries)

That's one way to look at it but it was not meant to be a fast car. Many ICE cars are fast. It's just that 100% torque that gives you the boost.
I respectfully disagree. Musk et al knew that in order to sell the concept of electric vehicles they had to shake the image of being puny. Ever been in a Leaf? Ever been in a Plaid? Different philosophy at play.

Reactions: 404 Not Found
I am convinced that if one invests in a fast car, it should be driven as designed. Why spend money on horsepower or torque that remains unused? They are meant for a distinct purpose.
Plenty of owners with various supercars who never pushed to the limits. Any modern car can can cruise at 80 MPH easily. That doesn't make it a "fast" car. I do enjoy the immediate response and handling of the vehicle, but that separate from cruising speed on highway.

Plenty of owners with various supercars who never pushed to the limits. Any modern car can can cruise at 80 MPH easily. That doesn't make it a "fast" car. I do enjoy the immediate response and handling of the vehicle, but that separate from cruising speed on highway.
Good to know.

There are also several of us who are utilitarian. Drive it like it should be driven. Over take people on the road. And, try to break the transmission of ICE cars trying to out accelerate you going up a hill. :D

I fall into that collection. You know, I hate it when an attempt to pass someone by using the left lane, but, then when the right lane driver notices you trying to pass them, they accelerate to close the distance. That really irks me. I'm on cruise control, and don't want that set speed to drop. Come on, why do folks always do that. Use the cruise control! Dammit!

I am aware this isn't perfect data by any means. The drives at lower speeds are usually due to traffic and there is likely more acceleration and deceleration than freeway driving. Technically you can definitely get much better efficiency at 30 to 40 mph than this graph represents. There is also different weather conditions that skew the data. But the more you drive the more those other factors even out.

I tracked more than 200k miles on my old Model S and the graph looked very similar.