Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speedo... Instrument panel dead / blank

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my loaner the instrument panel is dead / blank. It did not reset with either Steering wheel reboots. Car drives fine. 50k vin pre autopilot. Pic attached.

Anyone have this issue before? never seen it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423157477328.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423157477328.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 994
In my loaner the instrument panel is dead / blank. It did not reset with either Steering wheel reboots. Car drives fine. 50k vin pre autopilot. Pic attached.

Yup ! ... also a loan car, P85+

Screen would come on a bright'ish mess, or completely off. Rest of the car continued to behave as expected.

Resetting with scroll wheel buttons or powering off the car does not change it.

Tesla service UK said they'd not seen this fault before and replaced the instrument cluster screen to fix it.

2015  01  15  speedo display problems for TMC.jpg

My instrument panel died today. I did a reboot. Did nothing. The driver's screen was totally blacked out, no flickering lights on it. Nothing. I checked the owner's manual for a fuse and found fuse 49 in fuse box 2. I pulled it and it was blown. It is a 5 amp fuse. I looked for another 5 amp fuse and found fuse 47 in fuse box 2. That powers the glove box light and the OBD-II. I put that fuse into spot 49 and it blew immediately, even with the car doors closed and the screens un-powered.
I called service and they could not see anything in the logs so they have set me up for a flatbed tow to Orlando tomorrow. I'll let you know what they find.

Wow this would be great for speeding and going as fast as you want. If you get pulled over show them the blank speedometer display :)

Sorry this happened to you. Is there a way to reboot the entire OS while the car is stopped rather than just the screen?

- - - Updated - - -

Yup ! ... also a loan car, P85+

Screen would come on a bright'ish mess, or completely off. Rest of the car continued to behave as expected.

Resetting with scroll wheel buttons or powering off the car does not change it.

Tesla service UK said they'd not seen this fault before and replaced the instrument cluster screen to fix it.

View attachment 71376

Wonder how much of a repair this would be out of warranty...

My car was returned to me today. It was only gone for about 24 hours. The instrument panel was replaced with a remanufactured panel. Looks great. The usual superior Tesla service. My car was washed and vacuumed upon return. I only had to pay the $100 Ranger service fee since they had to come to my house in Jacksonville and flatbed my car to Orland for repair. They loaned me a nice P85. It is definitely quicker than my S85. They also installed software 6.2 2.4.213. I was using 2.4.188.

For me this would result in a speeding ticket!

For this reason, it might be nice-to-have a redundant speed indication on the centre console top row...

Also, dash display goes dark if you don't pay your cable bill on time.
Not to worry, everything is still there on the display, ...you just can't see it.
Things like signals are actually signaling on the outside of the car, where it matters.

Displays are for silly users who like to know things, but are totally optional for driving the car.

Like the interior rear view mirror... who uses that? Should be a delete option from the factory.
That's what the camera button is for on the console. When it's operating.