Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sports car enthusiast opinions wanted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering a P3D and would like to hear from some sports car enthusiasts that have had their Model 3s for awhile. Most of the threads that I have seen on this subject stem from new owners during the honeymoon period, or people that have moved up from appliance cars like a Prius, etc. I’m wondering if I can get away with going all in on the P3D.

Do you miss having a transmission (manual or paddles)?
Do you miss the sound?
Would you recommend having a weekend car?
What regrets do you have due to your move to electric?

Please share! Thanks.

Here is my post from another thread, but I think is spot on for you!

I went from a last gen Manual Audi A4 and we had a M5 at the time as well. Nothing compared to that visceral 4.4TT in the tunnels. But honestly, the power was lacking in comparison to my P3D (mind you the M5 had a Dinan tune with HP in the 600+ range). The feeling of lack of torque was due to having to deal with transmission hunting for gears, even with the quick gear changes of the M5. If you need sound, you will be disappointed by the Tesla.

Here is my concise summary. This comes from driving my cars, company cars, and family cars a significant deal. Cars I have put enough mileage on to form a sold option in the last 3 or so years are (all 2013 or newer): MT Audi A4, Scion FRS, BMW M5, Prius Prime, Genesis G80, Model S, P3D (my current DD), Volvo XC90.

Manual: I am a huge MT fan, my last two daily cars were MT, and a PAIN to find that 3rd pedal!

I thought long and hard on this and the reason I loved manual was the direct engagement. I had full control of the car; there was no transmission computer thinking for me. It did exactly what I wanted when I wanted.

I thought I would hate leaving my manual. I have yet to sell the Audi 6MT, and do enjoy driving it, but the experience is oddly the same for me; direct engagement.

Thus the Model 3's direct throttle and always there performance gives me that direct experience, with 0 lag. It is an oddly similar feeling to a manual in the direct feeling I desire.

That being said, I would love if the 3, even if it was just one of the motors, had a 2-speed gearbox; it starts to lack at higher speeds.

Luxury: The ME is less luxurious than competitors on the interior. This has nothing to do with it being minimalistic; that is it's most luxurious feature. All materials you touch feel great, but everything feels a step below the Germans. When I step into my 115k mile Audi, it still feels new and the interior is beautiful. I feel at the same age, the Tesla will be showing more age. There are also weird creature comforts missing compare to competitors (cooled seats, 360 camera, heated steering wheel, ext). The car is also noiser than I am used to on the highway. It is luxury quiet, just not Audi quiet. That being said, the white seats are beautiful. Overall, I would say it is definitely a luxury car, just not quite up to Germans, but still very well executed.

Sportiness: The handling of the car is amazing in my opinion. The stock tires are too narrow for the track, but that is an easy fix, and they are plenty for spirited driving on regular roads. It honestly feels as nibble as my old FRS, despite some major weight disadvantage.

Features: LOL. Nothing is close. It is amazing how my car gets better every day, I have never experienced anything like that. For any real highway driving, Autopilot is amazing. I arrive rested to places, it is a whole new look on driving. This car is so hard to compare to anything else.

Performance: Absolutely amazing. As I said, I have had some serious performance cars (from light and nimble to brute) and this is my favorite bar none. The instant throttle is amazing and changes how you drive. There is so much on tap. Over 70, it does lag a bit, but still plenty there! Also I feel the AWD setup I'd very underrated. There are two motors! You can do SOOOOO much more with that from a handling perspective. In the corners it is so balanced. You start to get a bit of oversteer, then bam, the front motor starts pulling you. It is such a weird, but amazing, feeling as it is so instant and direct.

Style: Meh. The Model S was stunning, and still is a beauty. The 3 is a very nice looking car, but is not trying to hard to be anything, it is just a sharp car. That being said, the P brakes and spoiler give it a nice stealth look. But you can do a lot to make it more aggressive. I did a blackout and new rims and it looks a world better!

Overall: In my opinion, this is the best car out there right now. It has its flaws, but they are beyond outweighed by pros. I believe I have a qualified opinion on sporty and luxury vehicles to form this opinion. The Alfa is amazing, I was looking at them; they are stunners. But man the 3 is just light-years ahead. While there are a few flaws (light on looks and luxury) the pros beyond outweigh that. You have to also realize the pros are not something you are used to comparing (Autopilot, updates, instant acceleration, dial motors) and once you have them, cannot go back.

Just my $.02!

I went from a 2017 Porsche Macan GTS with torque vectoring, sport+, and full leather to a model 3 Performance with the performance upgrade.

The Porsche interior is higher end. The sport exhaust sounded great. The launch control was a hoot. Power generally always available, the PDK transmission reads your mind. It was glued to the road.

My model 3 is more fun for me, though the Porsche was better for a long road trip (ignoring gas costs).

We have the Tesla and one ICE car (Hyundai Kona) and we live in a city. Ideal, IMHO

I don’t track my cars.

Coming from a manual 6.2L V8 Camaro (as well as 5 and 6 series BMWs prior):

• I miss shifting when driving sportingly, the rest of the time on the road I don't miss it at all.
  • I miss the rumble of a V8 99% of the time. At least now I don't have people constantly trying to race me just because they heard a throaty engine.
  • This car is by far the most nimble I've driven. The low center of gravity is a living dream.
  • I'm also a huge tech geek, so a large portion of my decision was tech related.

Hope this helps!

I like the Model 3 because it's the one practical daily driver that's the least like any other practical daily driver. It's dead silent, packed with tech that actually makes sense, and has great performance. There isn't another car in its class that even comes close IMO. Fortunately for me I have 4 other cars to keep me entertained on the weekends. If I had to pick one car though to do it all, it would be the M3P.

Reactions: shrspeedblade
All above very great comments. I can see each of them and appreciate them from the OP's view.

I've had multiple sport or performance vehicles from Mustang 5.0, Camaro, Challenger, and 2017 Scat Pack Charger. I loved them all.

2 days after ordering I had buyers remorse due to the unbelievable sound that came from my Charger. That deep growl was amazing, I didn't know if I could do this. However if I ever wanted to gun it from the stop light 0-45 you would have heard me 5 blocks away, possibly letting my law enforcement brethren to peak curiosity. Not in the P3D, she like ninja.

From 0-60 (where I spend most of my life) this car is like nothing I've ever driven. It lurches where others slip making the torque pop even more.

I drive a lot of miles a few weeks about of the month, typically around 500-800 miles, the Supercharger for me on the East Coast is fairly robust where I need to go, but not like it is i on West Coast or in Northeast. I find a few gaps in Virginia and South Carolina that would make sense depending on route of travel, but I'm sure that is the case all over the Country even with Tesla's impressive Supercharger network.

Sometimes I am in bumper to bumper in city traffic. Autosteer has probably lowered by Blood Pressure.

I love this vehicle, the performance, the constant updates with additional features that cost me nothing, and the future for faster charging. We have one ICE that we take on long family trips (2 adults, 2 kids, sometimes 2 dogs) that we still need. I hope one day we won't.

I honestly can say I have no regrets. And that makes me happy because I spent 3 nights agonizing like you until I took the leap.

Good Luck!

Previous car, BMW 335 N54 (twin turbo I6). Fully loaded Manual Coupe with aftermarket LSD, flash tune, piggy back chip running e85. Around 400-425 Whp.

What I miss: seats/ergonomics, coupe form factor, color combo (blue with saddle brown leather)

What I don’t miss: Everything Else! Except maybe the LSD I put on.

The BMW had soooo many issues. BMW maintenance was bad to begin with. Tuning the platform to near 150% of stock power was beyond what the car could put down. No traction below 50-60 mph.

- Do you miss having a transmission (manual or paddles)? No, you won’t care. The car is sooo much quicker these would just slow you down and distract from actual road performance.

- Do you miss the sound? No. I no longer get anxious as the rpms climb waiting for the motor to pop.

- Would you recommend having a weekend car? NO! The whole point is you get the best sport touring 11 second sedan, that can not only automate grid lock driving, but also cost less than a Toyota to maintain and operate. I no long have to have 2 cars which has saved me a lot!

- What regrets do you have due to your move to electric? Tesla took longer than I would have liked. That’s it. The platform is unbelievable, 11 second quarter miles on 235 all season tires (I ran an 11.865 beating a lambo while on my OEM P3D- tires). Would like to see less weight but it’s probably not noticeable with some summer tires (like I had on my bmw).

I am considering a P3D and would like to hear from some sports car enthusiasts that have had their Model 3s for awhile. Most of the threads that I have seen on this subject stem from new owners during the honeymoon period, or people that have moved up from appliance cars like a Prius, etc. I’m wondering if I can get away with going all in on the P3D.

Do you miss the sound?

I did not "come from" some sports car, I kept my ///M3 and added TM3P.
There are pro's and con's to both, though the chances of having a level-headed comparison on that subject here are not great. I drive both, back to back on some days, so my reflections are fresh and raw.

Based on the questions you ask, you haven't owned an EV before, and are still getting comfortable with the EV territory.
Nothing wrong with that, but your barrier to entry is not owning a Tesla, but owning an EV, in general.

No tranny and no sound come with the EV territory.
No engine sound is replaced by superior audio setup in TM3, so I consider that to be an upgrade. Tranny is obviated by instant, flat, and endless torque curve of an electric motor. If you had an endless rev counter in 1st gear, would you ever bother shifting and interrupting acceleration by doing so? I didn't think so. Thus, it's not a loss, it's a gain.

I still do, occasionally, miss the physical exercises of rowing the manual gearbox, as illogical as it is.

I do have, and recommend having, ICE long-distance family cruiser vehicle, if circumstances allow.
Same goes for a dedicated track car/toy.
There are things you can do with those better, and more conveniently, than you could with a Tesla, or any single all-purpose car.
Mind you, you can make things work with a Tesla, but horses for courses.

Back to your real challenge - can you live with an EV?
Only one way to find out!
If in doubt, consider leasing one.

HTH,
a

Do you miss the sound?

Please share! Thanks.

A transmission was created to manage the inefficiencies of power with the ICE into the broad range of speeds needed for cars. Electric motors have no need as they can easily match the speeds needed. Combine this with electric motors to generate huge amounts of torque at low speeds. Well, why would I want a compromise (i.e. multiple gear transmission)

I find it a low more fun to sneak on people and pass them without warning than to announce my location from a mile away.

It's much cheaper to beat the crap out of most cars on the weekend and be better than the others for daily driving. It's a win-win.

Regrets? Truly the only one was that I couldn't have done it earlier.

Charging at home is so much more liberating than have to go out once or twice a week to fill up. I've done 1500+ mile trips with no issues.
It is really hard to think of a single negative. Charging isn't an issue, its easier than gas. Time to fill at Superchargers isn't an issue, it occurs when I need to take a break anyway.

Man I can relate to what your saying. I’ve been driving manual for the past 14 yr. i love my burbling exhaust note.

I actually passed by an BMW M2 today and thought wow I could have gotten that car instead of a tesla. Butttt. I’d be in the same boat of driving a polluting machine and supporting oil companies that constantly jack up the price.

Political tensions, OPEC wanting to cut supply to boost demand, hurricane in the east coast prices go up. And how are we a #1 oil producer and pay $$$$$ for gas. I get it we are California with the 4th largest economy in the world but still. It’s $4.5/gal in California. That’s what drove me to buy the tesla as a car guy. Yah of course I miss manual cars and exhaust sounds, but this car has great things about it. Like it’s so quiet and the stereo is so great that the it makes driving a joy!!! I love the driving experience with this car. And it still corners and blast through curves with the best of than.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: UTMB
Had an E92 M3, and I don't miss it (especially around town). The steering felt sharper and of course the noise was enjoyable with the windows down, but that's about it. The P3D is much faster, quieter especially at low speeds, more comfortable (even with electronic dampers on the M3), and much more relaxing for driving longer distances with autopilot :D

I'd like a weekend car, but for me it would have to be something exotic (which of course I can't afford). I have no desire to go back to a regular car, even a fast one like a Quadrifoglio/C63/M3.

I grew up driving Hondas and switched to BMWs in 2001 when I bought a used 2001 BMW 325i wagon (steptronic unfortunately). That was such a fantastic car, but I missed my manual transmission so in 2004 I flew to Germany and bought a modestly equipped BMW 525i sedan with 6MT and drove 50k miles on it before finding a used BMW 330Cic convertible 5MT to add. I found a clean 2002 BMW 530i 5MT Sport that i drove from 50k to 100k miles before selling it to my brother. That was a splendidly balanced automobile; I dearly wish BMW still made cars like that. in 2009, I bought a clean used 2007 BMW 335i convertible 6MT that I've put over 100k miles on and still drive regularly. In 2016, I flew to San Diego to buy a clean used 2010 BMW 535i sport 6MT with Nav, one of the last great-handling BMW 5-series cars. Thru the years I've learned to do basic maintenance and take these cars out on local back roads and enjoy their handling and balance.

Last fall I took the plunge and bought a Tesla Model 3 LR RWD which I enjoy driving every bit as much as either my 335i or 535i. I find the reason I appreciated the 6MT is that the automatic never quite does what I expect or want, but that is not the case with my Tesla. Recently I took my stock Model 3 with 19-inch tires out on a favorite back road, Lime Creek Rd., with many twists and turns and was amazed again at the balance, poise, and power in my "lowly" RWD Model 3. Before I bought I test drove both the Performance and the RWD and chose the RWD based more on the fact that my license might be at risk with the Performance and that I appreciated the slightly greater range of the long-range RWD (there's still a few gaps in the supercharger network going from Austin to Colorado and visiting friends in Arkansas).

You will not regret driving the Tesla coming from manual transmission performance cars!

Do you miss having a transmission (manual or paddles)? Yes, either one. In sporty driving yes but in daily driving/traffic, the manual is not missed. The Model 3 is fast but its like being in an elevator - you know you're going somewhere quickly but silently and smoothly.

Do you miss the sound? Yes, I love a good exhaust note. I recently drove a Hyundai Veloster N and man that car makes a beautiful sound (for the price). I've thought about it everyday since. On the other hand, its nice to be fast without tipping off the cops with your exhaust.

Would you recommend having a weekend car? If you miss rowing your own gears and engine sounds, most definitely. I've never been a 1 car guy though.

What regrets do you have due to your move to electric? This is my 2nd EV and I've put nearly 15k miles on my Model 3 in just over 6 months and it has been great. Daily driving and road trips are much more relaxing and the regular maintenance required in ICE cars are not missed. I have no regrets.

I have a P3D- and I don’t know about the tires on the +, but almost any other performance car, if it’s raining you don’t drive it. Not so with this, it’s my preferred car in the rain. Dead strait over any deep puddle that would have other cars pulling you in the ditch or hydroplaning. Turning into traffic and need to nail it but it’s up hill and over a hump and wet? This does it in a flash with 0 drama.

Not exactly sure what you could be comparing a P3 to where you actually have to think about it though. It does 0-60 in 3.2 sec every time on almost any surface. 1/4 mi is 11.8. It seats 5, has a trunk, a frunk, an all glass roof, a great stereo, 115mpge, almost 0 maintanance and it FREAKIN SELF DRIVES! Buy an e60 M5 on it’s last legs for cheap if you need to hear an engine but if you want the best car it’s the P3D.

I recently got a Performance Model 3. It replaced an Audi RS3. Over the years, I have owned and enjoyed to various degrees the following cars. Porsche 911 C4 GTS (still own this one and will never give it up ;-), AMG C63s, BMW M4, NIssan GT-R, AMG C63 (6.2l), all of the foregoing with dual clutch or similar auto trans. Before this I owned all of the following with manual transmissions, Cadillac CTS-V (gen 2), C6 Corvette, Audi S4 (2.7l tt), Firebird Firehawk, Mitsu Eclipse GSX, Mazda RX-7 Turbo II, and a few others too old to name.

With that background in mind, I generally agree with the above comments on the Tesla, but with a few differences. First, I am very pragmatic, so I want the most performance possible. Thus, when dual clutch and other high tech automatics began to outperform manual transmissions, I had no hesitation to switch. The Tesla is just the next step where no transmission is necessary (at least at street legal speeds).

As for exhaust noise, the AMGs and the Audi RS3 were quite impressive. My sister-in-law once commented that these cars had "anger management issues." However, again, amusing as these sounds can be, I am happy to go fast silently. In fact, one of the issues I had with the GT-R was the exhaust. It is the only car I ever owned that came factory equipped with a really annoying exhaust drone so loud you could not hear a bluetooth connected phone while driving on the freeway.

Having owned and driven cars ranging from sporty to hard-core sports and ranging in weight from 3,000 pounds to 3,800 pounds, I find the Tesla an interesting mix. It is among the faster cars I have owned in terms of 1/4 mile and 0-60 times. However, for a car with a consistent 11.7 second 1/4 mile time, its trap speeds are fairly low, thus illustrating how it runs out of gas (figuratively) at higher speeds. Similarly, with the very low center of gravity, the car feels quite stable and planted in steady state cornering. However, at over 4,000 pounds, the car does not feel nearly as nimble as many of the lighter cars on my list. I imagine many of those cars would be quicker through a set of S curves. As an aside, I wish Elon had made a more extreme version of the Model 3 Performance. I would gladly give up all that glass in the roof in favor of carbon fiber in order to save 100-200 pounds at the highest point in the car.

The closest comparison I can make for the Tesla is with the Audi RS3. That is a really fun car. It will almost keep up with the Tesla in a 1/4 mile race (and with a few mods it could even beat the Tesla). It also has AWD, so traction is no issue. The Audi is a bit smaller than the Tesla and definitely feels more tossable/nimble (what with being 500 pounds lighter) even though both cars have roughly the same steady state cornering and braking performance. The Audi is much louder on the freeway (particularly on chip sealed roads where the tires would scream and there was not much sound insulation). I'm still adjusting to the Tesla as it feels quite heavy compared to my previous cars, but that instant acceleration is helping me move on pretty quickly.

I also agree that the interior is not Audi or AMG quality. It is closer to BMW quality, but still not quite there yet. It is comfortable enough, though some of the car magazines have complained that the seats lack sufficient bolster support given the serious cornering capabilities of the car. I would say the interior is definitely functional. The one area that falls short (ask almost any owner) is the center console plastic. It looks cheap, reflects sunlight in your eyes, and scratches if you look at it too hard (a very slight exaggeration, but check the forums and I bet no one has a scratch-free console unless it is wrapped).

My bottom line is the Tesla is a very fun sporty sedan, on par with, but different than a BMW M3/4 or AMG C63s. One big difference is that none of those cars have AWD, and for me in almost all situations, the Tesla AWD makes the car both safer and more fun. It is also on par with the Audi RS3. So why did I trade the RS3 for the Tesla you may ask. For all the reasons others have stated. Specifically, I recently moved to the suburbs and realized that I was likely to drive 15K+ miles annually with many of those miles coming in the form of 5 to 10 mile trips. This is the kind of driving that wears out an ICE but that an electric drivetrain shrugs off. Similarly, the RS3 requires premium gas and with all the short trips, I would be lucky to get 18 MPG. At $0.08 per kWh in my area for electricity, and with no real maintenance costs, it will take about 3 years of driving the Tesla to break even on the cost of the trade-in and from there its is money saved every mile while getting equal or better performance from a more practical car (the Tesla has more cargo and passenger space than the RS3 and is only slightly larger). Finally, I was very pleased to read that the Model 3 is the safest car ever crash tested by NHTSA.

Thus, as long as you are not expecting hard-core sports car handling, or a Mercedes level luxury interior, you are likely to be happy with the Model 3 Performance. I do suggest a test drive so you can get a feel for it yourself.

I find a ‘sports car’ to be too much of a nuisance to use every day. In the three years I’ve had it, I thought I would enjoy weekend jaunts, visiting friends now further away, etc. but it hardly ever seems to work out. Huge fuel costs and limited luggage space are just the start of the problems - the ultimate is when you want to give someone a ride and you don’t have that third seat, so they have to tag along in their own car and the whole idea is ruined.

I bought a convertible because I’ve always liked the concept, but every time I drive it, I can’t think why? - top down, it’s too loud to hear the stereo or converse with a passenger, get sunburned in the summer, partner’s hair is messed up. Top-up, wind noise is uniquely high, visibility is poor, headroom barely sufficient. Top up or down, the lack of body rigidity sucks. The steering shuffles in your hands over bumps, creaks and squeaks galore, loud rattles, extreme 90dB tyre noise, etc.

Getting past all that, you might expect excellent performance from that 5L V10 but again, another surprise when you discover that it only works when ‘wound up’ (over 4500RPM). You now have a choice between cruising around in a low gear so that it’s ready for hills and powering out of corners, which will produce a loud droning noise and vibration through the floor and the seat. Or you can cruise around in a high gear, relatively quietly, but be prepared for several rough gearchanges at any time. It’s honestly more like driving a truck than a car, needing a lot of forward planning and conservation of momentum rather than just ‘push on the accelerator and go’.

On the racetrack, everyone will remind you that you ‘bought the wrong one’ having a Spyder (convertible) and they’d be right, too. It weighs 1736kg. Has to be man-handled into corners and not too stable on the way out either.

So against all that, the Tesla is a much more suitable choice for fast road driving, more like the various German sedans others already mentioned. You get from A to B swiftly and satisfyingly and with room for your partner and friends. Your car doesn’t say “I’ve made a terrible compromise”, nor does it say “I don’t care what others think”, nor “I’m on a higher level than you are”. Of course, other people probably see these in the exact reverse to actual truth.

Buying a Model 3 Performance, you’re basically buying an especially bland-looking beautifully-proportioned performance sedan and I like that idea. Especially the minimalist interior. Not a sports car like my Gallardo and not a GT car like an Aston Martin Vantage, and probably a better mix of capabilities than either of those. I intend to drive my Model 3 Performance all the time. Hopefully NZ orders open in the next few weeks!

-Alex

Last edited:
Thank you very much for all the thoughtful replies! In reading through them I think a weekend car would be a good idea, but not necessary. We already have an X5 that currently serves as the family hauler so I have that base covered.

I have a history of German cars and the class of car that I have preferred in recent years includes the GolfR /S3, M240i/M2, Cayman. The model 3 is a size class up from those. I think the things I would miss the most will be the size and "tossable" nature, the sound, and the build quality and interior appointments.

Looking at it objectively, I'm probably more of a candidate for the Roadster, but I'd never pay that much for a car. I think another test drive or a Turo rental is in order to solidify my decision.

Do you miss the sound?

Please share! Thanks.

First of all, you cannot compare a Model 3 with a sports car. Totally different. Same goes for cars like an Audi RS6. It's quick. But it is not a sports car.

Having driven many Porsches, both on the road and on the track, as well as cars like the RS6 (one time on the track, the tires and brakes can't cope, so one time was enough) and my Model 3 I can tell you that for the road I much prefer the Tesla. I used to own a 750+ HP RS6 V10 next to a Model S85 and I liked the Model S more on the road. The Model S is in fact quicker in real life than the RS6. The last one is much faster if you accelerate for a longer period, but then you are driving high speeds that you usually would not drive on the road. The one exception is the Autobahn, but that is getting more and more crowded so 99% of the time you are driving 130 km/u or less.

Transmission I do not miss on the road, it annoys me nowadays.

Sound I do miss. In the mountains, or in tunnels going all out... :) I do like the lack of sound in normal driving.

If you also want to do trackways I would recommend a weekend car. Otherwise the M3P is more than enough and simply a lot of fun. M3P is unfit for trackdays, unless you change tires and brakes.

No regrets. Third Tesla already. ;)

Reactions: SmartElectric
Thank you very much for all the thoughtful replies! In reading through them I think a weekend car would be a good idea, but not necessary. We already have an X5 that currently serves as the family hauler so I have that base covered.

I have a history of German cars and the class of car that I have preferred in recent years includes the GolfR /S3, M240i/M2, Cayman. The model 3 is a size class up from those. I think the things I would miss the most will be the size and "tossable" nature, the sound, and the build quality and interior appointments.

Looking at it objectively, I'm probably more of a candidate for the Roadster, but I'd never pay that much for a car. I think another test drive or a Turo rental is in order to solidify my decision.

Nice selection of cars. I had a gti, 350z, bmw 1 series.

There really isn’t a perfect car. The model 3 which I love isn’t as nimble into a corner as a Miata but then again which is safer in an accident. Each car always has pros and cons.

Another thing to factor is where we are in our lives and if that mode of transportation fits each persons current situation. Someone like me who’s is looking to start a family in a few years, this car makes perfect sense.