Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify app in v10 not quite ready

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was having problems where everything would be working fine, and then when trying to play another song the play icon would just turn into a spinning circle and I couldn't get any audio. I think I figured out that my apple watch "Now Playing" mode was causing the issue. I disabled that on my watch and it seems to have fixed the issue for me.

I haven't even signed into it because of all the reports about how it causes issues to run it at all for other things (hanging the MCU, making slacker search relatively useless, etc)

I've already got like 200 gigs of high quality music on a USB key- the interface sucks but at least it plays reliably.
I'm just curious if they allowed a higher bitrate than the 64 with slacker. I haven't even gotten the update yet so I can't even do an ear test.

Its kinda lame without being able to search from within the Tesla app. It basically only serves as a preexisting mix tape right now.
Exactly.

It kinda seems like the Spotify implementation was done as a last second rush job... Kinda like, "oh dang, we got everything worked out with Spotify! Someone quick! Throw an app together so we can get Spotify into V10, then we can polish it up later."

So no worries... I'll bet we get a fully functioning app eventually. But at least we have it to play around with now while we wait.

The Spotify Connect integration in the mobile app is driving me nuts. Sometimes the app auto-opens on my phone when I start the car app, which then leads the mobile app to assume I want to playback on the phone (vs. the car), which then causes the car app to freak out and stop streaming until: 1) I either kill the mobile app on my phone or change the Connect setting to playback on the car; and 2) change the car to a different audio source - slacker, FM radio, USB, anything - and "restart" the car app. Then everything starts working again. I'm tempted to just uninstall the Spotify mobile app on my phone to avoid the issue.

I'd also like to know if Spotify on the car is at a higher bitrate vs. slacker. Comparing the Spotify car app playback (vs. BT audio streaming via mobile), it definitely sounds better on BT audio. not a good sign....

The Spotify Connect integration in the mobile app is driving me nuts. Sometimes the app auto-opens on my phone when I start the car app, which then leads the mobile app to assume I want to playback on the phone (vs. the car), which then causes the car app to freak out and stop streaming until: 1) I either kill the mobile app on my phone or change the Connect setting to playback on the car; and 2) change the car to a different audio source - slacker, FM radio, USB, anything - and "restart" the car app. Then everything starts working again. I'm tempted to just uninstall the Spotify mobile app on my phone to avoid the issue.

I'd also like to know if Spotify on the car is at a higher bitrate vs. slacker. Comparing the Spotify car app playback (vs. BT audio streaming via mobile), it definitely sounds better on BT audio. not a good sign....
There was a post on one of the Tesla forums (or maybe it was a Tesla related sub on Reddit), where a guy used a network monitoring app to get the bitrate of the car's Spotify app vs. Bluetooth, and the Bluetooth connection had a higher (by quite a bit) bitrate than the Spotify Tesla app. But of course, I didn't bother to save the post as a bookmark, 'cause I didn't think I'd need to refer back to it. : /

I don't remember the exact stats, but it was enough to make me start streaming Spotify via Bluetooth. Well, that and the fact that the Tesla app is missing a lot of functionality.