TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Spotify app in v10 not quite ready

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by sgtstadanko, Oct 24, 2019.

1. sgtstadanko

sgtstadanko Member

Is it just me or is the spotify app in v10 just not good? Constantly loading errors, and timeouts. The only fix seems to be two thumb salute.

• Like x 1
  2. heine19

heine19 New Member

I was having problems where everything would be working fine, and then when trying to play another song the play icon would just turn into a spinning circle and I couldn't get any audio. I think I figured out that my apple watch "Now Playing" mode was causing the issue. I disabled that on my watch and it seems to have fixed the issue for me.

3. LakeWorthB

LakeWorthB Member

Yes it has various intermittent problems. Hopefully there will be a bug fix soon.

4. Thunder7ga

Thunder7ga Member

It needs some bug fixes for sure.....

5. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

In previous threads some european Model S owners (who have had the spotify client in their teslas for years) commented that most of the complaints from new US owners were the same ones they've had for years so I wouldn't count on a lot getting fixed anytime soon.

• Like x 3
  6. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I can't even log in. Despite rebooting the car I'm still getting an invalid credentials message.

7. Phlier

Phlier Bluebird

Yup, the Spotify app really isn't ready for prime time yet. I've switched to streaming Spotify via Bluetooth from a phone to the car.

8. Dexmot74

Dexmot74 Member

I send a bug report every time it freezes...keeps reminding them :)

• Like x 1
  9. hydro 481

hydro 481 Active Member

Have you tested the bitrate yet?

10. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

I haven't even signed into it because of all the reports about how it causes issues to run it at all for other things (hanging the MCU, making slacker search relatively useless, etc)

I've already got like 200 gigs of high quality music on a USB key- the interface sucks but at least it plays reliably.

11. hydro 481

hydro 481 Active Member

I'm just curious if they allowed a higher bitrate than the 64 with slacker. I haven't even gotten the update yet so I can't even do an ear test.

12. nexusone

nexusone Member

Yes, it's horrible quality, just like I've come to expect from Tesla.

Disappointing? Yes. Surprising? Not in the least.

13. ConSaab

ConSaab Member

Y'all need to relax. Sure it's not perfect with bugs but remember these can be fixed via future updates.

What other car manufacturer releases new feature via over the air ? Please name me one? Exactly my point !

• Like x 1
  14. AdamVIP

AdamVIP Member

Its kinda lame without being able to search from within the Tesla app. It basically only serves as a preexisting mix tape right now.

• Like x 1
  15. Phlier

Phlier Bluebird

Exactly.

It kinda seems like the Spotify implementation was done as a last second rush job... Kinda like, "oh dang, we got everything worked out with Spotify! Someone quick! Throw an app together so we can get Spotify into V10, then we can polish it up later."

So no worries... I'll bet we get a fully functioning app eventually. But at least we have it to play around with now while we wait.

16. gmtom1

gmtom1 Active Member

The Spotify Connect integration in the mobile app is driving me nuts. Sometimes the app auto-opens on my phone when I start the car app, which then leads the mobile app to assume I want to playback on the phone (vs. the car), which then causes the car app to freak out and stop streaming until: 1) I either kill the mobile app on my phone or change the Connect setting to playback on the car; and 2) change the car to a different audio source - slacker, FM radio, USB, anything - and "restart" the car app. Then everything starts working again. I'm tempted to just uninstall the Spotify mobile app on my phone to avoid the issue.

I'd also like to know if Spotify on the car is at a higher bitrate vs. slacker. Comparing the Spotify car app playback (vs. BT audio streaming via mobile), it definitely sounds better on BT audio. not a good sign....

17. hydro 481

hydro 481 Active Member

Wait, you can't search for songs within the app?

18. Phlier

Phlier Bluebird

There was a post on one of the Tesla forums (or maybe it was a Tesla related sub on Reddit), where a guy used a network monitoring app to get the bitrate of the car's Spotify app vs. Bluetooth, and the Bluetooth connection had a higher (by quite a bit) bitrate than the Spotify Tesla app. But of course, I didn't bother to save the post as a bookmark, 'cause I didn't think I'd need to refer back to it. : /

I don't remember the exact stats, but it was enough to make me start streaming Spotify via Bluetooth. Well, that and the fact that the Tesla app is missing a lot of functionality.

19. gmtom1

gmtom1 Active Member

I think Tesla did a half-a$$ed effort at coding the Spotify app in v10. I don't know if it's the same as the European version, but as @Phlier said, it's missing a lot of functionality and the Connect integration is terrible.

20. hydro 481

hydro 481 Active Member

How do you organize the playlist by title? Tracks are all out of whack.