Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify Audio Quality vs Slacker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WIth V10 rolling out and Spotify coming to North American market I wanted to see if there was any discernible difference in quality between Spotify and Slacker.

I believe Slacker streams at either 128kbps or 160kbps.

Should we expect the same from Spotify?

Can you elaborate on this? I assume you're saying Spotify is superior. What is better about it/worse about Slacker?

Don't have Spotify in my car yet... But my experience as a Spotify premium user for several years and Slacker in car user since June:

With Spotify you can make your own playlists, listen to a favorite album straight through, start a song over or repeat it, listen to almost any song you want any time, and they have discover "channels" that will play music similar to what you like (not like the Slacker "favorites" channel where they just throw you different songs by artists you have liked a song for)

Spotify is on demand, listen to what you want. Slacker is basically radio.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt and Phlier
Don't have Spotify in my car yet... But my experience as a Spotify premium user for several years and Slacker in car user since June:

With Spotify you can make your own playlists, listen to a favorite album straight through, start a song over or repeat it, listen to almost any song you want any time, and they have discover "channels" that will play music similar to what you like (not like the Slacker "favorites" channel where they just throw you different songs by artists you have liked a song for)

I asked this question in another thread and haven't gotten an answer: when I say "play Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap", and it plays, what is the source? Slacker? And if so, isn't that "on demand"? Because so far every song I've requested has played.

IMHO, Pandora has both of these streaming apps beaten soundly. Pandora allows me to listen to what I want without repeating those songs over and over AND will interject or suggest other songs to play that are similar in genre to what you want to listen to. You can thumbs up or thumbs down whatever song you like or dislike. If you thumbs down a song, you will never hear it again. My only caveat to Pandora is that I need to connect to it via bluetooth with my iPhone and, as such, the sound quality is not up there with those that use streaming directly to the Tesla.

What is the car's BT "ability" (max rate)?

I searched for it and couldn't find a source for the max transfer rate a M3 is able to receive from a phone. That would help in quantifying the differences between native streaming, BT streaming from another source, and playing from a USB stick.

What is the car's BT "ability" (max rate)?

I searched for it and couldn't find a source for the max transfer rate a M3 is able to receive from a phone. That would help in quantifying the differences between native streaming, BT streaming from another source, and playing from a USB stick.

v10 added 48khz sampling via BT. That helps a ton.

• Informative
Reactions: dgaultiere