Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, Im new to the forum so please bear with me if this has already been asked and answered. Ive recently bought a 2014 Model s 85 in the UK and while playing with the music settings I noticed I could link my Spotify (Free) account.
The issue is when I try to login its not recognising my credentials although I can login everywhere else, on PC, app etc?
Any suggestions as to why this is?

Spotify connection is not stable. More frankly: so buggy it is most of the time unusable. The good news is: it was in an earlier firmware version working en I hear positive sounds of the 2018.50.7 version. So keep hoping!

I've had my 2017 S since September 2018, I think Spotify has only worked with the initial software version that was in the car (don't even know what that was, but it wasn't v9 based). Since then the car has had several software updates and using my own paid account or Tesla free account has been maybe a 10% success rate at best, I've almost given up hope of them ever getting this right. As is stands now if I try to use Spotify on the current software version my car has (48.12.1) it usually totally freezes the MCU and it requires a two finger reboot so I just use USB or TuneIn...which aren't 100% bug free either.
Very much a classic case to use a statement often thrown around in the programming world "It can't be that hard to get it right can it?".

Most of the time I'm jealous of you guys outside of the US for having Spotify in the car, as Slacker radio is OK for being included free, but not nearly as useful or as wide of a music collection as Spotify (I have a premium account separate for listening on my phone and laptop, etc).

Then I read stories like this, and think that if it never really works, maybe it's good we're stuck with the simpler but generally reliable music service (aside from the occasional "Loading Error")? Or is it just that forums tend to be a magnet for problems (no one feels compelled to write a post about how everything works like it's supposed to, day in and day out). I get that they probably have an exclusive contract with Slacker in the US, but as they've already written the code it would be nice if they let us use our own personal premium accounts with Spotify...

Or is it just that forums tend to be a magnet for problems
Well you could think of it that way and probably accurate for many complaints, but not in this case because everytime I've called the service centre after an update breaks Spotify operation they always say we've had a lot of complaints and it will be fixed soon, we've told Tesla. So Tesla HQ must be aware of the problem, how it has taken 3 or 4 months and they still cannot fix it is beyond me.
It is like the TPMS intermittently working, some days I get my pressure showing, other days nothing. I've asked about this and they say it is a software issue and will be fixed in an update...it hasn't been yet.
In the scheme of things non working Spotify and dodgy USB media playing etc is not the end of the world, but the fact still remains these are not cheap cars so we should expect better when these things work fine on other cars or even phones, media functions are something we use daily when driving so it becomes very annoying when they stop working.
I think Elon needs to swallow his pride and just allow Carplay and Android auto on these cars like many other OEM's have done.
Which brings me to the easter eggs situation, why people get mad at these is because there is far more important software problems that need to be solved (as the service centres keep telling us they will be) and yet we see fart noises and fireplaces get released instead of software stability and advertised features that stop working not getting resolved.

I always find threads like this very puzzling, my Spotify has worked just fine ever since I bought the car new in the middle of last year.

It is one of my favourite features and I use it pretty much every time I drive. I've been exploring some old stuff I haven't heard in years along with many new albums.

I can certainly understand people being upset if it isn't working for them, I know I'd miss it greatly but thankfully I just don't have issues with it at all...

2015 car with 3G. I have a premium account, it works fine EXCEPT every second time i try and use it Spotify hangs. I select radio for 30 seconds or so and then back to Spotify, normally kick starts it. Once it’s working it will normally keep working fine until you get out of the car and I guess things go to sleep.

I’ve pondered if a 4G upgrade would help but others on this forum didn’t think so. Hence I’ve not gone that route yet, unless someone has any feedback.

2015 car with 3G. I have a premium account, it works fine EXCEPT every second time i try and use it Spotify hangs. I select radio for 30 seconds or so and then back to Spotify, normally kick starts it. Once it’s working it will normally keep working fine until you get out of the car and I guess things go to sleep.

I’ve pondered if a 4G upgrade would help but others on this forum didn’t think so. Hence I’ve not gone that route yet, unless someone has any feedback.
Nah I have the same experience as you and I have a 4G card.