Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify loading endlessly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had this issue with the Streaming app for the past month or so, and it's getting more frequent. In the past I'd be able to switch to the radio and then back to Streaming and it would work. Now it's saying unable to connect no matter what I do and I have to reboot the screen (long press scroll buttons) to get it to reconnect. It's been much more prevalent since the 2022.12.3, 3.1, and 3.2 update.

I'm currently on 2022.12.3.2 ('21 M3P) and a recent subscribe to Spotify Premium, went with a Duo account for so the Daughter would have her own (I even asked if she's prefer Spotify or Apple Music, she greatly prefer the former, which was a perk for me with the Tesla not having the latter).

Anyway, my playlists/music, etc., is not updating, or it does sometimes, it seems kind of unpredictable. I've logged the car app out and back in, I've reset the car/head unit, I've disconnected the car from the account and reconnected. It syncs and works exactly as expected between my iPhone and desktop (MacOS) app. Add a playlist, shows up. Add or remove songs, those changes are reflected. Whatever, works like it should.

The M3P however, rarely seems to update - you can force an update with a logout >> login, but that's silly. I tried logging in using both my email account and my assigned user ID, same behavior.

I thought it wasn't working at all until I saw a few new songs (in a playlist) show up.

The car is on WiFi in the garage (all that works fine), and additionally has a decent in-car cell connection (just to cover all bases, I tried with WiFi disconnected as well).

It's like it's polling Spotify for changes, but only every N minutes, where that might be 15 or might be 1500. I noticed when it did sync, it wasn't everything, it was like it pulled the first few messages in a queue and then stopped (so left in a partially sync'ed state).

Bummer, the sound quality is great, Spotify totally satisfies my music and podcast needs, and it works great across multiple devices, and including nice integration with our Sonos stuff.

logging out and then back in has been working for me.
Mine won't even allow me to log back in. It just sits at the log in screen and says unable to login, please try again later. Sometimes a reboot works, sometimes it doesn't. And it doesn't matter if it's on mobile or wifi.

I ended up submitting a service request yesterday and they transferred it to the virtual diagnostics team to look through logs. Strangely, I didn't have an issue with it yesterday afternoon or this morning.

I'm currently on 2022.12.3.2 ('21 M3P) and a recent subscribe to Spotify Premium, went with a Duo account for so the Daughter would have her own (I even asked if she's prefer Spotify or Apple Music, she greatly prefer the former, which was a perk for me with the Tesla not having the latter).

Anyway, my playlists/music, etc., is not updating, or it does sometimes, it seems kind of unpredictable. I've logged the car app out and back in, I've reset the car/head unit, I've disconnected the car from the account and reconnected. It syncs and works exactly as expected between my iPhone and desktop (MacOS) app. Add a playlist, shows up. Add or remove songs, those changes are reflected. Whatever, works like it should.

The M3P however, rarely seems to update - you can force an update with a logout >> login, but that's silly. I tried logging in using both my email account and my assigned user ID, same behavior.

I thought it wasn't working at all until I saw a few new songs (in a playlist) show up.

The car is on WiFi in the garage (all that works fine), and additionally has a decent in-car cell connection (just to cover all bases, I tried with WiFi disconnected as well).

It's like it's polling Spotify for changes, but only every N minutes, where that might be 15 or might be 1500. I noticed when it did sync, it wasn't everything, it was like it pulled the first few messages in a queue and then stopped (so left in a partially sync'ed state).

Bummer, the sound quality is great, Spotify totally satisfies my music and podcast needs, and it works great across multiple devices, and including nice integration with our Sonos stuff.

I have additional debug info:

I had a song added to my main playlist that never showed up, I did the logout >> login shuffle, and it showed (everything was refreshed). Then later I deleted it from my playlists on my iPhone, the car, if course, didn't update.

This morning I added two new songs (iPhone), went to the car, that old song was still present (in the UI, read on ...), the two new ones were not.

Then I did this in the car Spotify: selected the song before the one I removed, played as expected, when I tapped NEXT, it played the first of the two new songs (cover art too), NEXT played the second one, tapping BACK >> BACK and I at the song before the older (now removed) song.

In other words, the playlist data file is correct, it's fetching the correct songs, in the correct order, with the proper meta-data (like cover art), it's the mechanism that handles the UI that's not refreshing. That leads me to believe it's not delayed synching - it's improper car-local UI meta-data (i.e., it's not a sync/network issue, it's a UI implementation bug).

Last edited:
It is now November 2022, and if they are working on it, "FAIL"! This is such a PITA and similar to my Jaguar F-Pace when they had their own homegrown interface system. It was the worst interface of all time, in my view and I moved away from the brand 100%. My model S is a great set of wheels, but this UI issue with Spotify is cramping my "love for music" style, and screw Twitter, focus on getting your auto company plaything right first Elon.

This happens to me and Tesla software manager(s) responsible for spotify should be ashamed they are not fixing a 2-year old bug that ruins the #1 music service out there.

The number of times i had to switch to bluetooth and stream off my phone is beyond count.

Such an easy bug to fix too. Probably only takes an extra check that refreshes things when the cause of it happens (maybe temporary connectivity issues) But I guess they're too busy working on important features such as light show and fart seats :mad: