Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotted on Reddit: FCC paperwork for a new Tesla BLE Fob.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're driving a Tesla, they can shut you down unless, maybe, you yank the SIM card and WiFi antenna (unless you're never in range of the Tesla network). I believe they took away certain features in Hong Kong due to legislative changes with no ability to opt out. I have no doubt that "they" could disable any Tesla they wanted.
Companies generally do not want to shut customers down. This is something governments do. Oh, unless you are Facebook or Twitter! :)

Better than an actual key :D
Heh. Actually... no. Not for me, anyway. I have to have my house keys, so it's always with me anyway. Tiny to carry. Easy to grab. Don't have to take out my wallet. Would almost surely work on passenger-side door. I never valet. Etc.
Tesla: Please make an option for a metal key and mechanical locks!! :) (Just kidding about that last part.)

The current S and X fobs have always used BLE.

Current models, yes -- Model X has always used a BLE fob and Model S refresh (2016 to present) also uses BLE fob. Model S pre-refresh (2012-2016) uses standard 315 MHz fob with rolling code like a garage door opener. This leaves it vulnerable to the man-in-the-middle broadcast attack, which is why Telsa introduced the software option to disable passive entry.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
Offer a fob and I'd likely jump back in line for a Model 3. But not until.
Robin

A fob is what’s preventing you from owning a 3? Why the what? What year is it?

My wife and I both have iPhones and haven’t had one issue with our 3. The key cards are locked away in cabinent.

I drive a Model S and hate carrying the fob and occasional forget it. I never forget my phone though. I can’t wait for the S/X to enable Bluetooth so I can shelve the fob.

Edit/added: I’ve lost the darn fobs too. A Toyota fob was $400 for a Prius. And I washed one of the Model S fobs which was a more reasonable $100 to replace. Still silly to be using fobs in 2018.

I'm a "pilot in command" kind of guy. I don't like handing off duties to software unless the software is bulletproof, and even then I'm still suspicious and watch it like a hawk. Because stuff happens and stuff really happens when complex systems interact.
The phone as key is not bulletproof. Far from it, though I hear you when you say your experience has been fine. Though I own one, I do not make a habit of carrying my iPhone. It sits charging most of the time, and days go by between picking it up.
So you see, having to carry the damned thing around would be a lot more onerous for me than slipping a small fob in my pocket when I need it and just going. Knowing the car will unlock, knowing the car will be ready to start, knowing the car is locked when I press the fob, is just a better deal than wondering....always...did it or didn't it? Will it or won't it?
And no deep dives into software workarounds required.
That's just me. If you're OK with the status quo, stick with it.
Robin

• Love
Reactions: kavyboy and dusdev
I'm a "pilot in command" kind of guy. I don't like handing off duties to software unless the software is bulletproof, and even then I'm still suspicious and watch it like a hawk. Because stuff happens and stuff really happens when complex systems interact.
The phone as key is not bulletproof. Far from it, though I hear you when you say your experience has been fine. Though I own one, I do not make a habit of carrying my iPhone. It sits charging most of the time, and days go by between picking it up.
So you see, having to carry the damned thing around would be a lot more onerous for me than slipping a small fob in my pocket when I need it and just going. Knowing the car will unlock, knowing the car will be ready to start, knowing the car is locked when I press the fob, is just a better deal than wondering....always...did it or didn't it? Will it or won't it?
Robin
I agree with the first half of your post. That's why I ordered my AWD without EAP.
You lost me on the second half though.

I'd probably get a fob If offered. Please make any fob as small, flat, and pocketable as possible with any panic modes near impossible to trigger accidentally. When pocketed I also prefer not to appear over-fond of my vehicle.
upload_2018-8-6_20-8-7.png

• Funny
Reactions: BluestarE3
Robin

Seriously, Tesla isn’t for you. The vehicles are completely software based.

Sounds like you’re better off with a 80s carbureted engine.

OK:
I've got one Stromberg carb in the fleet. (Triumph Spitfire). Not really looking for another (though two SU's on the Triumph would be an improvement performance-wise it wouldn't be legal in a car equipped to meet CA emissions standards).
I'm fine with software. It has to just work though, rather than impose new work (like wondering if "new software available" will leave me locked out or stranded, researching workarounds, relying on unsatisfactory - in fact, kind of ridiculous - backups, opening apps, closing apps, putting the phone in this pocket, no, that pocket, on and on). The phone as key doesn't meet the requirement of software that just works for many owners. Until it does you are absolutely right. The car is definitely not for me. With a fob, I'd probably be driving my 3 about now.
Robin

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: kavyboy