Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spring Cleaning - Advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning to do some spring cleaning for my Model 3. After some research for a Canadian option, here's where I am without breaking the bank:

Exterior
  1. 2 bucket, water rinse method
    1. Supplies: Wash mitt, microfibre towel, Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax, bucket with grit guard
Interior
  1. Vacuum
  2. Wipe down everything with all purpose cleaner (including seats as they are not real leather)
    1. Supplies: Meguiar's carpet and upholstery cleaner (for the carpet underneath all weather mats for salt stains) and Meguiar's all purpose cleaner
Windows
  1. Supplies: Invisible Glass spray

Any better alternatives for the cleaners? Any thing else I'm missing?

Reactions: McCaesar
Invest in some iron decontaminant spray. I washed my car and put the summer rims on the weekend, and I was horrified to see 'rust spots' ALL OVER my paint. :eek:

After I caught my breath and did some research I found its relatively normal (especially on a white car) and its basically rail dust that has oxidized. Iron-X or a similar product will dissolve it. I am going to have someone ceramic coat it now that its warm again (missed my window last fall), and he's going to take care of the decontamination.

upload_2019-4-8_15-45-28.png

upload_2019-4-8_15-46-6.png

upload_2019-4-8_15-46-23.png

upload_2019-4-8_15-46-59.png

Reactions: gaton
Invest in some iron decontaminant spray. I washed my car and put the summer rims on the weekend, and I was horrified to see 'rust spots' ALL OVER my paint. :eek:

After I caught my breath and did some research I found its relatively normal (especially on a white car) and its basically rail dust that has oxidized. Iron-X or a similar product will dissolve it. I am going to have someone ceramic coat it now that its warm again (missed my window last fall), and he's going to take care of the decontamination.

My tri-coat pearl white Ford Escape is covered in Yellow/gold metal contamination every spring. Never happens over the summer but it happens every winter. Always worst below the beltline and on the back.
There are basically two methods to deal with it yourself. Claybar or chemical decontamination. I use about 1/2 of a 1 litre bottle of Iron-X every spring cleanup. Wash and dry the car normally. Working 2 panels at a time spray on the Iron-X and leave for about 5 minutes. It turns purple as it disolves the contamination. Use a microfiber cloth to work the contaminated areas and the spots will disappear. Do your wheels as well even if you cant see it they are contaminated. Repeat treatment if necessary. I get it here:

They have different sizes and they also now have a paste:

CarPro IronX W/Sprayer (1000ml)

CarPro IronX Paste (500g)

• Informative
Reactions: Muskol and pcons
My tri-coat pearl white Ford Escape is covered in Yellow/gold metal contamination every spring. Never happens over the summer but it happens every winter. Always worst below the beltline and on the back.
There are basically two methods to deal with it yourself. Claybar or chemical decontamination. I use about 1/2 of a 1 litre bottle of Iron-X every spring cleanup. Wash and dry the car normally. Working 2 panels at a time spray on the Iron-X and leave for about 5 minutes. It turns purple as it disolves the contamination. Use a microfiber cloth to work the contaminated areas and the spots will disappear. Do your wheels as well even if you cant see it they are contaminated. Repeat treatment if necessary. I get it here:

They have different sizes and they also now have a paste:

CarPro IronX W/Sprayer (1000ml)

CarPro IronX Paste (500g)
Interesting, I was wondering if this was going to turn into a regular once a year service. This is my first white car, presumably these spots were visible on my other cars but due to the colour/me not being as anal I didn't see them :oops:

Iron X smell kind of reminds me of a ladies hair salon. :confused:
You won't make any friends if you use it at the car wash.
I was afraid the purple would permanently stain my concrete driveway but it seems to change colour after a while and not do any permanent damage.

• Informative
Reactions: 03DSG
If you are on a budget, I recommend getting waffle microfibre towel for general car drying. The super duper soft ones doesn't absorb water as good and they're really meant for buffing/final wipe of your car. Also get a wheel brush to clean inner barrel of your wheels. Brake dust tends to build up and stay stuck "forever" if you don't clean them your wheels regularly.

If you want to spend a little more (and you already have a power washer), I recommend getting a foam canon, they're about 30 bucks CAD from Amazon. It's really fun to use and really lifts up the dirt so you scratch up your car less.

If you can, buy your car washing supplies and accessories from Amazon.com and get it shipped to a mailbox in the states. The selection is much better and cheaper.

For the interior I recommend you use 808 Aerospace for seats and trim. Stoners Glass Cleaner for the glass. I also recommend you use a blue shop towels to clean the glass.

My car currently have Xpel Ultimate (full wrap) and Gyeon Synchro ceramic coating on the outside (did it myself). I use Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam for the Foam Canon, and Gyeon Bathe+ for the main wash.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
+1 for IronX, both my cars are white and I've been using it each spring for years and years. It's not just rail dust, I think brake dust and winter plow filings are the biggest culprits.

As others have mentioned it smells awful, my wife despises it so now I'm all coy about it haha.

Ok, I am going to sound like an idiot, but what is the 2 buckets system ?
When you wash your car, you use two buckets: 1 is your "clean" bucket with your car wash soap, and 1 is for your "dirty bucket" when you try to ring out/rinse/scrape all the dirt that builds up on our washing mitt. So you dip your clean wash mitt in the "clean bucket" and wash a section of your car. Then you put the dirty mitt into the "dirty bucket" and try to rinse/wring out all the dirty built up. Also if you have a grit guard at the bottom of your bucket, you should scrap your mitt at the bottom to make sure you get any paint scraping dirty off of the washing mitt. Once you have you cleaned your mitt in the "dirty bucket" you start over again by dipping your mitt in the "clean bucket".

If you are super hardcore, it's technically the 3 bucket system as you have a dedicated bucket just for your wheels.

Planning to do some spring cleaning for my Model 3. After some research for a Canadian option, here's where I am without breaking the bank:

Exterior
  1. 2 bucket, water rinse method
    1. Supplies: Wash mitt, microfibre towel, Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax (I use chemical guys honey due foam wash), bucket with grit guard
    2. After washing, you can also use Carpro- Sealant (my local car detailing shop sells it for $32). Works really great to keep the car clean longer by not letting dust stick to the car and water beads off. Also gives it an enhance shine.
Interior
  1. Vacuum
  2. Wipe down everything with all purpose cleaner (including seats as they are not real leather)
    1. Supplies: Meguiar's carpet and upholstery cleaner (for the carpet underneath all weather mats for salt stains) and Meguiar's all purpose cleaner these items works, but owners manual says that water should be enough to clean the interior.
Windows
  1. Supplies: Invisible Glass spray This works really good although owners manuals says to not use it on the windshield, I use it anyway and don't see any issues.

Any better alternatives for the cleaners? Any thing else I'm missing?

My comments in red above.