Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ Change battery for LR battery possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course I’ve contacted the repair facility, and warned of this error.
Oh no!

If they had just installed it... it would have just worked after a software redeploy. The car doesn't know anything about the battery except what the BMS tells it... so I would wager that it would accept the LR battery.

The packs are going to by physically the same as far as mounting points are concerned. It wouldn't make sense to have to build a different body.

Oh no!

If they had just installed it... it would have just worked after a software redeploy. The car doesn't know anything about the battery except what the BMS tells it... so I would wager that it would accept the LR battery.

The packs are going to by physically the same as far as mounting points are concerned. It wouldn't make sense to have to build a different body.

I thought there was something about the newer batteries and the motors being specifically linked- hence why when you see EG doing motor swaps they always swap the battery pack as well because "only tesla" can 'mate' them

My impetus for replying to thus thread, is that the insurance estimate has a 75 Battery in the paperwork.

That's interesting.. IIRC the insurance on my wife's model 3 was also throwing around 75kwh numbers in quite a bit of the paperwork. almost like nobody knows any better and its put in the computer wrong.

They totaled my wife's car and nothing touched the battery. I was surprised actually I didn't think the damage was that bad.. ah well. cest la vie or something

aside from Elon saying that it was possible and would likely be offered?

Really? When did he say that, specifically?

a
EG has done it, took an RWD car and made it AWD. Pack, DU swap, module, done.

EG is not Tesla so I'm not sure what your point is there.

I didn't say it physically can't be done. I said there's 0 chance Tesla will do it for you.

Reactions: ucmndd
aside from Elon saying that it was possible and would likely be offered?
Eh?

Of course it’s possible. But I maintain Tesla isn’t gonna do it.

For a hot minute, Tesla offered battery upgrades for Model S P90D owners who bought right before the P100D came out.

They ultimately completed several upgrades, but it was a nightmare for them. They ended up having to do crazy things like swap out the front SEATS (which had also been changed/upgraded between the P90D and P100D) because it was required to maintain the vehicle’s crash certification and not introduce a new configuration to the fleet that was never tested/approved by NHTSA.

Bigger batteries weigh more, and at least as of now regulators consider them a structural part of the vehicle. An OEM swapping out one for another and potentially creating a combination of parts that was never previously offered is a big headache. Rules around this might change, but Tesla has little incentive to take it on in any volume. Their primary interest is in selling new cars.

tenor.gif

Update: While the insurance company had the 75kwh battery in the estimate paperwork, the repair facility assured me the proper part is tied to the VIN, and I would indeed get the proper sized battery for my SR+. Oh well... No fault in dreaming for an insurance company financed increase in battery capacity.