Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR Not Plus Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not really the person to do, like, a YouTube review. As I mentioned, I received delivery for an SR order yesterday, but Tesla just gave me an SR+ and said they would software limit it soon.

I too test drove the performance model, I think. It was one of the longer range versions, but I can't speak in-depth to the performance of that car since the test drive was basically a conservative lap around the block, with limited highway driving primarily to test the onramp pull and to experience autopilot.

I can confirm that the look and feel of the SR interior is better than I expected, given the prior expectations of cloth seats and manual adjustments. The synthetic Tesla uses is unusually comfortable and seems easy to maintain. The maps are really elegant even without satellite graphics and work well with voice commands. It might be a little disappointing if software-limiting removes all traffic awareness from maps, but I do not understand exactly what is going to change there. The cell phone docks are a nice touch.

So basically the SR interior is the same look and feel as that of the premium Model 3 I test drove except that the maps do not use satellite images which mirror the real world; they use simplified but still elegant graphics. The heavy feel of the car, partially due to the battery weight, and partially due to the agressive regenerative breaking, that I remember from the premium test drive is also present on the SR. This weight is a blessing on curves but in a straight line it somehow feels as though the car is pulling against resistance, even at speed. The acceleration is noneless satisfying, maybe more satisfying because of this curious feeling of resistance. Anyway, the regenerative breaking is a setting that can be reduced, although I haven't tried changing from the default. I would not be surprised if Tesla limits the SR acceleration slightly from the SR+.

The most concrete loss to explain with the SR is that the seat heaters, which are quite nice, will be disabled. That's a bummer, but it's a loss I can live with. There's no comparing the SR in my mind to it's ICE or EV price competitors. So I hope the target audiences for those cars flock to the SR. If I had a higher budget, I would be looking at a used Model S, and if I had a lower one, I would be looking at a used Chevy Volt or Nissan LEAF, but that's just me. On the other hand, I do think the SR+ with autopilot for $40K is the best option for now for those who want autopilot for practical reasons such as a long commute.

BTW used Model S are around this price, but 2015/6 AP1

So the question that I'm most interested in, since I think AP is Way overpriced for just Adaptive Cruise and Lane Center Assist (standard features on many other cars), is if the SR can be upgraded to the SR+ in the future (hopefully for $2,500) without be forced into buying AP as well. Does anybody have any idea if this will be possible? I would have been interested in the EAP features for $2,000 but not the simple AP that Tesla is offering.

Reactions: Reeler
So the question that I'm most interested in, since I think AP is Way overpriced for just Adaptive Cruise and Lane Center Assist (standard features on many other cars), is if the SR can be upgraded to the SR+ in the future (hopefully for $2,500) without be forced into buying AP as well. Does anybody have any idea if this will be possible? I would have been interested in the EAP features for $2,000 but not the simple AP that Tesla is offering.

Have you compared Tesla’s adaptive cruise control and lane centering with what other manufacturers are offering? Volkswagen’s adaptive cruise control is a joke, and most of the lane keeping systems aside from Hyundai LFA and Nissan ProPilot just ping-pong you in the lane. I’m also pretty sure neither of those systems is free.

That said, since Tesla went from EAP to AP, I have decided to go with FSD. Basic AP isn’t enough for me, although I think it’s worth what they’re charging for it if you drive a lot. If you don’t drive a lot, I don’t think the value is there.

I think AP is Way overpriced for just Adaptive Cruise and Lane Center Assist (standard features on many other cars)
I think it's also fair to assume that AP will continue to improve with time, particularly on vehicles with Tesla's new FSD chip. AP is really just a subset of the FSD functionality, so it should benefit from Tesla's continued work on FSD. Even so, while it isn't perfect, today's AP is pretty darned good.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
So what wait times are we expecting? I placed my order on 4/11 for SR+ got a delivery date of 4/24 but when my order was changed to SR on 4/13, the delivery date still says 4/24 but I don't know if that's accurate. I did change colors as well. Edit button is gone. Someone posted that they were told SR is a 4-6 week wait.

So what wait times are we expecting? I placed my order on 4/11 for SR+ got a delivery date of 4/24 but when my order was changed to SR on 4/13, the delivery date still says 4/24 but I don't know if that's accurate. I did change colors as well. Edit button is gone. Someone posted that they were told SR is a 4-6 week wait.
SR and SR+ are essentially the same car with software limitations. Other people have posted that they got SR+ instead of SR and future update will lower it to SR. The main reason your car may be delayed is likely the color change. You should be able to get your car soon, congrats in advance. SR in my opinion is the best value of them all, since you live in Houston, no heated seats required. :)

I had a delivery date of 4/17 on my SR+ no AP before the pricing change, I called in to downgrade, the price on my account hasn't changed plus my delivery is still tomorrow. I'm getting tense, and I'm gonna have to call to get this sorted sincey credit union is also waiting regarding financing.

SR and SR+ are essentially the same car with software limitations. Other people have posted that they got SR+ instead of SR and future update will lower it to SR. The main reason your car may be delayed is likely the color change. You should be able to get your car soon, congrats in advance. SR in my opinion is the best value of them all, since you live in Houston, no heated seats required. :)

that's what I thought but perhaps they prioritize SR+ folks first due to paying slightly more.

I emailed my rep about the autopilot being $3k instead of $2k for my SR:

An Update to Our Vehicle Lineup

"All Tesla vehicles now come with Autopilot bundled as a standard feature for less than the prior cost of the option."

He responded with:

"Standard battery and Long Range Rear Wheel is $3,000 for Autopilot.

Standard Plus base price went up $2,000, and has Autopilot included now."

I've been trying to get the Final Sale Sheet from Tesla and they just won't give it to me. No one picks when I call, when I email their finance department, they just forward me to my rep.

So frustrating. Carolina Cooperative FCU won't grant final approval and cut the check without that Final Sale Sheet. My delivery is on Friday...

Last edited:
I emailed my rep about the autopilot being $3k instead of $2k for my SR:

An Update to Our Vehicle Lineup

"All Tesla vehicles now come with Autopilot bundled as a standard feature for less than the prior cost of the option."

He responded with:

"Standard battery and Long Range Rear Wheel is $3,000 for Autopilot.

Standard Plus base price went up $2,000, and has Autopilot included now."

I've been trying to get the Final Sale Sheet from Tesla andtheua just won't give it to me. No one picks when I call, when I email their finance department, they just forward me to my rep.

So frustrating. Carolina Cooperative FCU won't grant final approval and cut the check without that Final Sale Sheet. My delivery is on Friday...
You should not be worry. Mine delivery is on Thursday and they called me today to finalize it. I changed my financing to Fairwinds. After the update, it will take a bout 2 hours for the system to generate the contract. After that they will email it to you.

You should not be worry. Mine delivery is on Thursday and they called me today to finalize it. I changed my financing to Fairwinds. After the update, it will take a bout 2 hours for the system to generate the contract. After that they will email it to you.
Kind of off topic, but are you in Florida? I wanted to go Fairwinds for their amazing rates on the shorter terms but they shut down the Lion Nation club membership option to become a CU member. Ended up getting a loan from another CU but at a worse rate obv.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla never gets around to converting your car to an SR. They are far too disorganized to remember to do this.

I bet they don't have the code yet on the car to disable select features. I bet if a SR owner never updates their software, it will keep those features as the current build cannot be tweaked.

I think it's also fair to assume that AP will continue to improve with time, particularly on vehicles with Tesla's new FSD chip. AP is really just a subset of the FSD functionality, so it should benefit from Tesla's continued work on FSD. Even so, while it isn't perfect, today's AP is pretty darned good.

Tesla quickly abandon's development on legacy features and AP hardware. Autopark never worked very well and is in sore need of some improvement. It was added to AP2.x, but no better than the crummy implementation for AP1.0.

Tesla quickly abandon's development on legacy features and AP hardware. Autopark never worked very well and is in sore need of some improvement. It was added to AP2.x, but no better than the crummy implementation for AP1.0.
With any hardware/software company, it's a given that older versions of the hardware will not be prioritized when rolling out software improvements. I'm pretty happy that our 2012 Model S is now a better car, because of software updates, than when it was new. But it's clear that older cars aren't Tesla's top priority when it comes to software work.

This could be a reason to hold out for a vehicle that definitely has the new FSD chip, or pay up for Full Self Driving and later have the new FSD chip retrofitted. On the other hand, AP mostly works well today, and that might be good enough for many people.

Wait for the new chip if you can. I think there are a bunch of cars in the pipeline with the old AP2.5 hardware. Waiting a couple months for that to be consumed will be something you thank yourself for later. I don't think Tesla is publicizing which units have the end-of-life hardware.

Made 3 calls today, got transferred to local office, couldn't reach anyone, goes straight to voicemail every time. My delivery date is TOMORROW, 26 hours from now, I have no MVPA to give my credit union for the check for payment, and there's still no change on my account on the SR+-> SR downgrade. Anyone else getting cut this close as I am? This is actually starting to wear me down.

Wait for the new chip if you can. I think there are a bunch of cars in the pipeline with the old AP2.5 hardware. Waiting a couple months for that to be consumed will be something you thank yourself for later. I don't think Tesla is publicizing which units have the end-of-life hardware.

If you don't intend to go to FSD and just stick with AP, the current HW2.5 is probably good enough going forward.

At some point people with HW2.5 (and possibly also HW2) but without FSD will be offered a HW3 upgrade as some unknown price. If and when that occurs, you should seriously consider it.

Kind of off topic, but are you in Florida? I wanted to go Fairwinds for their amazing rates on the shorter terms but they shut down the Lion Nation club membership option to become a CU member. Ended up getting a loan from another CU but at a worse rate obv.
I am in California. Check the loan spreadsheet page. I did it on the first delivery text and never look back so I don’t know about the change. Alternatively you can call them directly and apply over the phone. It takes only a few minutes. I talked to Taylor Gonzales.

I am in California. Check the loan spreadsheet page. I did it on the first delivery text and never look back so I don’t know about the change. Alternatively you can call them directly and apply over the phone. It takes only a few minutes. I talked to Taylor Gonzales.
Spreadsheet page is where I found it, when I was starting to look in mid March. I heard anecdotally people were refused membership from out of state that same weekend because the Lion Nation membership was not accepted anymore. I checked myself when I noticed the eligibiilty requirements were all related to being a student in Florida colleges or living in certain Florida counties. When did you apply for the loan/become a Fairwinds CU member?

Spreadsheet page is where I found it, when I was starting to look in mid March. I heard anecdotally people were refused membership from out of state that same weekend because the Lion Nation membership was not accepted anymore. I checked myself when I noticed the eligibiilty requirements were all related to being a student in Florida colleges or living in certain Florida counties. When did you apply for the loan/become a Fairwinds CU member?

Hey all for Fairwinds - I don't see an option to join using the Lion Nation #. Only if I live there or have a family member. Has this changed?
Yes it has. I am in the process of getting this loan, and they have ended their partnership with the LionNation program because too many people were signing up for loans with it. I was told that the loan is basically a loss leader for them to develop a relationship with customers, and that they are only looking to work with people in the area.

Fortunately, I am an Orlando resident :)