Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found auto to do a pretty poor job on efficiency - as someone said, its for range not comfort.

I notice cabin temp quite cool - if uncomfortable, then I found manual control works much better on efficiency than auto - we run a/c on, screen only, 19C and fan 1-2 depending on how wet outside. tbh, we would probably get away with leaving it on 1 except in worse of weather. I'm finding that a happy compromise and didn't think 20C used much more. Wouldn't surprise me if auto was mot modulating things as efficiently as perhaps it might - recirc, fan speed, heater etc.

You’ll never see 254 miles because Tesla doesn’t use the WLTP rating for the in-car display. It uses the US EPA rating of 240 miles. You won’t get much closer than the 238 miles your car is showing. My display is always on % because that is more meaningful to me.
Thanks for reply as well as others reply. Good to know my car is getting what it should at full charge, i'll try changing to % and see how I get on. Now I can just enjoy the drive.

Has anyone in the UK with a M3SR+ got a total range of more than 240?

I wasn’t sure with one of the latest software updates (the 5% power increase) whether this would increase range. I haven’t seen a range increase (I don’t think) but was hoping.

On the USA Tesla website they are now quoting 250 mile range to the EPA standard and this used to say 240 miles for the SR+. The UK site still says 254 WLTP. Options?:
  • They increased the range in the 2020 car which is physically different. I don’t think this is the case.
  • The power update isn’t/hasn’t increased range, or will only be for USA, or affects EPA tests more than WLTP. None of these.
  • They haven’t re-tested the car with the new software using WLTP yet and so can’t publish a new figure. Probably.
Some people in the USA have reported some very good rated range numbers.

I’m currently showing I’ll get 191 miles to a full charge. I think A) ambient temperature 6 degrees, and B) my driving style (last 50 miles may have been a little quick) is dragging down my rated range calculation. Given you often don’t even get rated range it’s a bit concerning. I don’t think a faulty pack but possible. I’ll give it a full charge today.

Interesting graph here in temperature: My Rated Range varies with temp change...

I have no idea how some of you are getting around 230wh/mile. The morning school run of 15miles there and back has a big hill climb or 2. It's usually around 420wh/mile lately in the cold but I tend to pre heat, TeslaFi adds 100wh/mile to that figure for some reason.

On a longer motorway run down to Devon I managed to get 300Wh/mile doing average of 70 to 75mph

Pic is of the return journey.

Model S85 Nov 2014 115k miles, realistic range is 220miles at 100% 202 miles at 90%

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    87.9 KB · Views: 56
I have no idea how some of you are getting around 230wh/mile. The morning school run of 15miles there and back has a big hill climb or 2. It's usually around 420wh/mile lately in the cold but I tend to pre heat, TeslaFi adds 100wh/mile to that figure for some reason.

On a longer motorway run down to Devon I managed to get 300Wh/mile doing average of 70 to 75mph

Model S85 Nov 2014 115k miles, realistic range is 220miles at 100% 202 miles at 90%

Probably because you are in an S85 not an SR+
The model 3 is smaller and lighter, hence uses less energy.

It will look that way but 230Wh/mile will either be a snap shot of a favourable journey or it's an average. The average is likely to include plenty of warmer weather long journeys in unchallenging conditions. The morning run you describe is never going to return the same figures... in fact any "snap shot" journey is unlikely to represent typical averages over the life of the car. Averages are a problem when they do not reflect the real life experience of people doing individual (short and cold) journeys. Just as I have achieved 26MPG and 56MPG in the same car you will have equivalent variation in Wh per mile. (We should also be aware that some people on the forum will be dedicating their lives to analysing their car usage, and driving techniques, and heating management, with the aim of achieving the ultimate efficiency. "Normal" people don't usually do this!)

On Averages:
If we find the average lifespan in the UK is, say, 87yrs, we don't expect everyone to live to 87. Averages are very useful when understanding the big picture but can rarely be applied to individual instances.

Aside from the model you drive you have also quoted the worst case journeys possible. short journeys in the cold and high speed motorway.
Try a long journey on A roads where you will struggle to average 50mph ( even if you feel as if you are driving quickly) and I imagine it will come right down.

Reactions: vitesse
Out of interest are you getting your Wh/m from the car display? just interested to see like for like comparison, Im averaging about the same Wh/m but only got about 2000miles on and only had 1 month so all fairly cold weather.

That's right, was taken from the car. I picked the car up in September so the weather was still relatively warm and do a mix of countryside and motorway driving. Wouldn't say I've been heavy footed but I have the occasional play..

i have about 10k miles on my car(sr+ model 3) and during the summer and fall months(20-30c) i get about 234 wh/mile average with mostly 75mph driving. But in the colder weather nowadays im averaging about 254. Idk why you guys are getting so high wh/mile. Idk if this is just for me but its not that big of a difference between cold weather and hot weather, depending on the heater usage. However, my rated range is 223/240