Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ vs LR AWD $13k price difference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah right now I’m leaning towards LR AWD or just getting the SR+ and if it doesn’t fit my needs then sell it for a profit and buy LR AWD
That is foolish IMHO, I think someone mentioned on here that if the state charges tax on the car, that doesn't work, regardless, by the time you get the car there is no guarantee the car will sell for more than new. Further, you drive it around, some bonehead hits you and there goes a ton of resale value.

I'll play the contrarian: buy the SR+. $$$ >range.

Cars A and B look identical, fit 99% of your usual driving, and have nearly the same features.

Car A has a briefcase with $12k in cash. Car B has floormats, more range, and AWD. I'd take the money, but others clearly disagree.
All in where you live. Here in South Florida, its common to drive to disney or universal, that is 200 miles. Even in my car with supposed 299 range, it requires a stop, with SR+, possibly two. Not even worth it at that point.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
All in where you live. Here in South Florida, its common to drive to disney or universal, that is 200 miles. Even in my car with supposed 299 range, it requires a stop, with SR+, possibly two. Not even worth it at that point.
Just realized, with taxes on the LR AWD, it would be an extra $5,000, and if we include the SR+ taxes, which is $1,300, the LR would actually be ($49,990 + $5,000 - ($37,990 + $1,300)) or $15,700 more.

I really can’t justify spending $55k on my first car. Even if the value holds well :(

Just realized, with taxes on the LR AWD, it would be an extra $5,000, and if we include the SR+ taxes, which is $1,300, the LR would actually be ($49,990 + $5,000 - ($37,990 + $1,300)) or $15,700 more.

I really can’t justify spending $55k on my first car. Even if the value holds well :(
If you have SR+ available to you at $37,990 I would absolutely say go for that over $49,990 for the LR, assuming the SR+ range fits your needs.

The current price is $41,990 for SR+ and $49,990 for the LR. In that case, the LR wins IMO.

Maybe the Tesla isn't for you then? Not trying to be mean in the least. I just honestly don't think you are going to be happy with the range limitations. I love my car even with the faults, but the range can be a pain. I live in South Florida, getting out to charge ain't a huge hassle aside from time. If I was getting out to charge more than necessary when its freezing out, I wouldn't be happy. Seriously, if I had to make the choice at this juncture between less range or gas car, the gas or hybrid gonna win at this point.

Reactions: XPsionic
Maybe the Tesla isn't for you then? Not trying to be mean in the least. I just honestly don't think you are going to be happy with the range limitations. I love my car even with the faults, but the range can be a pain. I live in South Florida, getting out to charge ain't a huge hassle aside from time. If I was getting out to charge more than necessary when its freezing out, I wouldn't be happy. Seriously, if I had to make the choice at this juncture between less range or gas car, the gas or hybrid gonna win at this point.
the range isn’t the issue at all. On the way to the mountain (stevens pass) there is a supercharger in Monroe, Washington. It’s 70 miles each way, which even without the supercharger in icy conditions should be enough range.

I’m just more concerned about AWD vs RWD

the range isn’t the issue at all. On the way to the mountain (stevens pass) there is a supercharger in Monroe, Washington. It’s 70 miles each way, which even without the supercharger in icy conditions should be enough range.

I’m just more concerned about AWD vs RWD
140 miles. I'm lucky if I make 200 miles with mine. You have cold weather to deal with and you have to account for losing charge while the vehicle sits. I'm just saying the reality is different than the perception. I mean you really want AWD as its a much better driving experience, but you are going to cut it close, maye too close. You aren't going to want to be sitting at the supercharger forever and all the time you will be thinking, I should have bought the other one. But really easier solution is just buy an AWD gas car and call it a day.

140 miles. I'm lucky if I make 200 miles with mine. You have cold weather to deal with and you have to account for losing charge while the vehicle sits. I'm just saying the reality is different than the perception. I mean you really want AWD as its a much better driving experience, but you are going to cut it close, maye too close. You aren't going to want to be sitting at the supercharger forever and all the time you will be thinking, I should have bought the other one. But really easier solution is just buy an AWD gas car and call it a day.
Gotcha. I might just wait until I can afford the AWD and focus on increasing my income for now. I’m going to start saving more money in my Tesla fund because it seems like I’m compromising too much with the SR+

Range is King! Get the most that you can afford.

In theory, SR+ is fine but paying more for LR means convenience and peace of mind.

I wouldn't count on getting EPA numbers in my real driving either. It's also reduced in cold winter too.

With extra range you can have more options such as skipping a busy charging station and drive to the less busy one.

I've never heard anyone regretted paying for the extra range but I do hear regrets for not paying for more range.
I agree - get all the range you can afford. PS I drive from Gig Harbor to Crystal often. 80 miles one way - I burn through 140 miles on the way up and 60-80 on the way back depending on traffic. Crystal is currently installing charging stations on-mountain so my confidence level just went up a lot.

I agree - get all the range you can afford. PS I drive from Gig Harbor to Crystal often. 80 miles one way - I burn through 140 miles on the way up and 60-80 on the way back depending on traffic. Crystal is currently installing charging stations on-mountain so my confidence level just went up a lot.
If all the range I can afford is SR+, would you say it would still be worth it? I was thinking I can upgrade to LR later on. But I really wanted a Tesla haha. I probably would take my dad’s SUV to the mountains and my friend has an AWD vehicle

If all the range I can afford is SR+, would you say it would still be worth it? I was thinking I can upgrade to LR later on. But I really wanted a Tesla haha. I probably would take my dad’s SUV to the mountains and my friend has an AWD vehicle

Now that you are informed. What we can afford does not mean that kind of affordability will make us happy.

So, would you prefer affordability but might make you unhappy now and more in the future or would you be unhappy now for being deprived a Tesla now so you can get the Long Range later knowing that the unhappiness will cease in the future?

Also, if you decide to go with LR, you could look at selling your reservation to someone. There have been threads on here for that and given the new $2,000 increase on SR+ that came out today, you may be able to capitalize on that a bit and have a win win for you and the buyer.

OLD
Standard Range Plus - $39,990
Long Range - stays the same
Performance - $56,990

NEW
Standard Range Plus - $41,990 (+$2,000)
Performance - $57,990 (+1,000)

Also, if you decide to go with LR, you could look at selling your reservation to someone. There have been threads on here for that and given the new $2,000 increase on SR+ that came out today, you may be able to capitalize on that a bit and have a win win for you and the buyer.

OLD
Standard Range Plus - $39,990
Performance - $56,990

NEW
Standard Range Plus - $41,990 (+$2,000)
Performance - $57,990 (+1,000)
Oooh, also my old price is $37,990 so it’s a $4k difference in today’s money. Do you have a link to a thread? And is it frowned upon by Tesla?

Now that you are informed. What we can afford does not mean that kind of affordability will make us happy.

So, would you prefer affordability but might make you unhappy now and more in the future or would you be unhappy now for being deprived a Tesla now so you can get the Long Range later knowing that the unhappiness will cease in the future?
Honestly I might rerun calculations and see if I could afford it. If I put $0 down it might be pretty doable to get the LR rn