Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard 85 uncorking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree any improvement for the classic 85 would be great and more proof of the ongoing improvements. Also happy for those who got a nice surprise.

Funny thing I have found my driving is more conservative now in the model S than when I was wheeling around in either my Leaf or Camaro!

It can be done. I think it's pretty naive to assume that Jason hasn't hooked some people up with the P85 firmware or that others that have rooted cars haven't also done it. Jason made it out to be as easy as uploading P85 firmware. I don't know if he's since elaborated on that or not.

Reactions: David99
I can drive my standard 85 like a hooligan and put a lot of stress on the DU or I can drive relaxed 99.9% of the time and just use the extra power here and there. What causes more wear and tear on the DU?

Yes P and 'non P' DU had different part numbers but they were mechanically identical and can easily take the power of the P version. The Insane and Ludicrous cars have way more torque on the exact same hardware and they are fine because you don't push the limits all the time. They all come with unlimited miles 8 years warranty.

The reason standard 85 cars will never be upgraded to the same performance as the P versions is because back then there was a $10k price difference. the only difference was the higher performance. People who spent the extra money would feel betrayed if the lower models get the same performance for free. It would also reduce the resale value of all P models and cause a lot of confusion. So I don't expect Tesla to every do that.

That has nothing to do with the technical aspect. Jason and others have done it and it works just fine. The car doesn't complain and the hardware is well withing it's limits.

On a positive note, the official 0-60 time for the classic 85 is 5.4 Seconds. I measured mine a while ago with more than 100k miles on it and it did 0-60 in 5.0 seconds.

I say we keep pushing this!! I see no technical reason Tesla cant uncork the older standard MS 85!!
What are your technical credentials here? If you can state it with such certainty, then why not just do it for yourself (see how wk057 created a P100++ for himself for example)? Second, 85's are older technology, even some early 75D's cannot be uncorked (search this forum for a guy who had to have his S75D corked back after the battery started throwing warnings because it was unable to handle the uncorked performance demands).

Pretty much every other Model S has at some point received a performance upgrade.. 85D 75 and 75D.
Even if it was true (which it isn't) it still doesn't entitle you, or any other 85 owner, to get an upgrade to performance beyond what was advertised at the time you purchased it. I know we live in the age of social outrage where everyone feels entitled to everything and are willing to raise a stink online about it, but come on, why not just demand P100D's for everyone for free, you know because they are good people and they deserve it?

Or you can always go my route to upgrade the performance - trade it in for a P100D ;)
I wish I could afford it!

What are your technical credentials here? If you can state it with such certainty, then why not just do it for yourself (see how wk057 created a P100++ for himself for example)? Second, 85's are older technology, even some early 75D's cannot be uncorked (search this forum for a guy who had to have his S75D corked back after the battery started throwing warnings because it was unable to handle the uncorked performance demands).

I would ask the same question of you?? My credentials are none by the way.. :) The conversations I have had with a very close friend that work for Tesla service have confirmed the 85 battery and drive unit are the exact same as in the performance model. One could argue there credentials but I trust them.

Even if it was true (which it isn't) it still doesn't entitle you, or any other 85 owner, to get an upgrade to performance beyond what was advertised at the time you purchased it. I know we live in the age of social outrage where everyone feels entitled to everything and are willing to raise a stink online about it, but come on, why not just demand P100D's for everyone for free, you know because they are good people and they deserve it?

I know what I said... Pretty much.. Not all Model S. Not the best qualifier but you get the point... And let me be clear, I'm not entitled for anything I would be willing to pay for said upgrade, It would be much easier path than selling my car and buying a new one..And by the way Tesla themselves have set a precedence by offering speed increases for older models. Ane why do seem to care so much? I was thrilled to see a fellow Tesla MS owner receive free speed increases. C'mon man be NICE!!

Reactions: AustinP

No one is feeling entitled, or saying this is a MUST have.... its a nice to have for sure. I'd be willing to pay for it as well. But considering how other Tesla owners did get updated for free (Which was a nice to have), we're just asking "Why were we left out?" - Tesla has a strong community, so I don't think there is anything wrong to have a discussion around it and explore the possibilities or lack thereof.

Reactions: AustinP
Agreed with above.
Nothing wrong with asking.
Could be frustrating only to P owners or former P owners of course. Depending on how much gap is left between the P and the nonP.
At the same time, 75 and 75D uncorked were non P at time of sale, and now get perfs close to the P85. So why not do the same for 85, if can be done.
I’m a quite relaxed driver, with an average of 210wh/km so about 335wh/mi for the last 70k miles/108.000 km.
Still, on rare safe occasions pushing it is good fun.
And if it was even faster, even more fun.
So yes, put it on the list. Even with low priority.

Reactions: tskguy
A lot of older S85s ... and those that may get a lucky warranty swap... have the same pack and d/u as a P85. You can root the car and change the mode (along with a few other hocus pocus steps using Toolbox, the non consumer version).

This, provided you can do all of the above, will yield a harmless P85 conversion, using existing P85 rated equipment, installed by Tesla at the factory or SVC.

I highly doubt Tesla would ever do this for us owners, its just not one of those widely known things, nor is it consistent. Eventually S85's got their own D/U as Tesla moved away from the P85 being universal (around the time the D was born).

Ya'll are funny though :)

edit: some have argued that the "limited" packs and D/U put in S85 were already rated for them as a result of manufacturing degradation (as is done with video cards and other consumer electronics). I think that's giving Tesla too much credit, but form your own opinion there.

My guy may have given me bad info but I was told that all of the later drive units are actually the exact same and the early ones were different? They obviously have different part numbers but are really just different from the pre-loaded firmware. I guess I need to get my my hacking skills up to date :)

Its all speculation I guess... Dang

I would ask the same question of you?? My credentials are none by the way.. :) The conversations I have had with a very close friend that work for Tesla service have confirmed the 85 battery and drive unit are the exact same as in the performance model. One could argue there credentials but I trust them.
I am not an expert on Tesla drive units either. I am also not a chemist or material scientist, so I guess I can honestly say "I see not technical reason why people can't just turn their tap water into solid gold, sell the gold and use the money to upgrade to P100D". I remember learning in school that all matter is energy (E=mc^2), so converting water to energy than back into gold sounds possible. ;)

I know what I said... Pretty much.. Not all Model S. Not the best qualifier but you get the point... And let me be clear, I'm not entitled for anything I would be willing to pay for said upgrade, It would be much easier path than selling my car and buying a new one..And by the way Tesla themselves have set a precedence by offering speed increases for older models. Ane why do seem to care so much? I was thrilled to see a fellow Tesla MS owner receive free speed increases. C'mon man be NICE!!
I just read your post your "I say we keep pushing this!!" and the followup "How do we take this up the chain?" and I get visions of people escalating their wishes up the corporate chain that already has enough real issues to deal with, especially when the justifications is "the other guys got something, so should I".

I just read your post your "I say we keep pushing this!!" and the followup "How do we take this up the chain?" and I get visions of people escalating their wishes up the corporate chain that already has enough real issues to deal with, especially when the justifications is "the other guys got something, so should I".

You seem to be taking this very personally?

"Dear Tesla engineers,

Given the recent software updates and introduction of 'Sport' mode to a number of models, which resulted in increased 0-60 performance. Loyal owners of the standard Model S 85 (RWD) and early adopters are extremely interested in similar functionality for their vehicles.
If this is not possible, we would love to understand the reasoning behind this decision and differences which makes it possible for the other models. This brings peace of mind as well as guidance for future decisions / upgrades within the Tesla family.

- Many thanks!"

- Is that so bad? lol ;)

Reactions: tskguy
You seem to be taking this very personally?

"Dear Tesla engineers,

Given the recent software updates and introduction of 'Sport' mode to a number of models, which resulted in increased 0-60 performance. Loyal owners of the standard Model S 85 (RWD) and early adopters are extremely interested in similar functionality for their vehicles.
If this is not possible, we would love to understand the reasoning behind this decision and differences which makes it possible for the other models. This brings peace of mind as well as guidance for future decisions / upgrades within the Tesla family.

- Many thanks!"

- Is that so bad? lol ;)

Serious question. Did you buy it used or have you owned it since day 1?

Tesla has been screwing OG owners and early adopters since day 1 and its nothing new. In-fact, making noise as an OG owner just makes them more salty about supporting us at all.