Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Range AWD Model Y inventory priced $61,990 USD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in Indianapolis and ordered one yesterday that's going to Chicago. Immediately got a VIN and EDD of 9/5 - 9/15, so if you're jumping on one of these I suggest having your ducks in a row! Luckily we already had financing arranged as we were expecting an EV6 around this time, but we know very little else about Tesla and will now be stalking these forums and YouTube, haha!

Our longer story is that we pivoted to ordering a Model 3 and ID.4 when the EV6 kept getting delayed and became ineligible for the tax credit. Meanwhile, we're sharing cars with our recently licensed daughter, so when my wife and I saw a Tesla in inventory yesterday we said screw it! 🤣 Can't imagine we'll need more than 279 miles of range, so for us the 4680 doesn't seem like a huge compromise. I wouldn't call it a "value" in any sense of the word as it's still WAY more than we'd planned to spend, but we both agreed it's a dream car for us and we can afford it despite our general discomfort. So yeah, I'll keep you all posted!
Congratulations, hope you get a new VIN soon! As you’re looking through the forums take note of the range threads. You say 279 is more the enough, but the reality is that’s going to be closer to 180-200 and 100-140 in the winter. As long as you don’t commute more then 100 miles a day and if you have home charging you’ll be fine. Just want to make sure you know their range is over optimistic compared to typical drivers.

• Informative
Reactions: IndyGopher
Quick update… no vin but showing estimated delivery of October 23 - December 4th…
NOOOO! Man, that's horrible. I'm chatting with somebody on Reddit who also lost their VIN yesterday, but our EDDs stayed the same in Sept. I don't expect that to last though, and I'd guess they either ran into a manufacturing snag or allocated our cars to people with LR orders or who are willing to pay more for FSD. I hate to be negative, but a VIN disappearing like this really isn't encouraging. Fingers crossed this is just a bug, though. Have you reached out to Tesla or your store? I'm considering emailing mine, but since the EDD hasn't changed I'm not sure...

EDIT to say I see your post on the previous page about contacting your SA who said to give it a couple days. Man, I really hope it's a bug like they suggested. I hate to be dramatic since we all kind of lucked into these cars, but to get a VIN and EDD starting in 10 to 14 days and then have the rug pulled would be painful for all of us. Keep us posted and I'll do the same!

Congratulations, hope you get a new VIN soon! As you’re looking through the forums take note of the range threads. You say 279 is more the enough, but the reality is that’s going to be closer to 180-200 and 100-140 in the winter. As long as you don’t commute more then 100 miles a day and if you have home charging you’ll be fine. Just want to make sure you know their range is over optimistic compared to typical drivers.
Thanks! I honestly wasn't aware of how optimistic Tesla is on range, but you're right it shouldn't matter too much for us as a typical commute is 40 - 60 miles (depending on errands and stuff) and we charge at home. We lived with a BMW i3 60aH for a year and have had a 28 kWh Hyundai Ioniq since January, so the Tesla will be a HUGE step up in range -- just not as much as I thought. Thanks again for the warning, though!

Car #1, lost vin last night, EDD remains the same of Sept 8
Car #2 lost vin, didn't have an EDD at all until this morning which is Oct 25-Dec 6
Just got a call from my SA (I also have a MYP reservation in) about my standard range reservation and he said Tesla sent a communication saying they’re not building those vins anymore so he gave me an option to cancel and get a refund on my order fee or just wait it out till whenever they decide to make those cars.

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
Just got a call from my SA (I also have a MYP reservation in) about my standard range reservation and he said Tesla sent a communication saying they’re not building those vins anymore so he gave me an option to cancel and get a refund on my order fee or just wait it out till whenever they decide to make those cars.
Car #1, lost vin last night, EDD remains the same of Sept 8
Car #2 lost vin, didn't have an EDD at all until this morning which is Oct 25-Dec 6
:-( Wow, what a bummer. Looks like all of us who ordered these out of inventory in the last week or so aren't getting them. Talk about a freaking rug pull. I would've rather not seen one at all than placed the order, arranged financing, ordered accessories, wasted hours watching YouTube videos/reading forums, and gotten SUPER hyped. Gonna take a bit to get over this one.

Reactions: paulsalem
I'm waiting for my SA to call me back. Same situation, Ordered on Sunday with an EDD of Sept 1-11 and had a VIN, had insurance lined up and everything. Yesterday afternoon the VIN disappeared but EDD is still the same as of today. Waiting to hear back from my SA. I May see if I can edit my order to add the tow hitch, honestly, if it will come between October and December, that's still better than placing an order on the website right now given the wait time is Dec-March.

• Informative
Just got a text confirming what the other person was told: these aren't going to be built as originally planned so we can get a refund or stay in the queue but with no ETA at all. I'm pretty disappointed, not gonna lie ☹️ I'm a nothing/nobody who thought he got lucky and was only waiting a few days, but I did A LOT in that time like I said above. Arranged a loan, got insurance quotes, bought accessories, did a lot of research online, and just generally got very excited. I'm an adult and will be fine, but wtf is Tesla doing?

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
All of them are cancelled. I'm going to hold onto the order though. If this was due to an unexpected issue with the 4680's or structural packs I'm sure they will be trying again soon. We might end up getting them sooner rather than later if that's the case.

Did anyone get an updated EDD that's different from your original EDD?

All of them are cancelled. I'm going to hold onto the order though. If this was due to an unexpected issue with the 4680's or structural packs I'm sure they will be trying again soon. We might end up getting them sooner rather than later if that's the case.

Did anyone get an updated EDD that's different from your original EDD?
Nope, mine stayed the same in the app but obviously won't happen. I bet we all got the same text basically saying "no ETA at this time." Possibilities I can think of:
  1. Issue with 4680 in general as you suggested. Perhaps picking up something in remote data from current owners?
  2. 4680 shortage? Is that possible?
  3. Dedicating all resources to pushing out higher margin LR prior to end of quarter next month?
  4. About to raise prices on 4680 (perhaps with a range increase) and didn't want to let anymore out of the building at this price?
  5. Lied about not building these specific ones and instead reallocated them to LR waitlist or people who added FSD?
Any other possibilities? Not that it matters at this point, but that's what internet forums are for. I'm trying to be lighthearted about this as there's WAY more important things going on in the world, but man, I'm honestly pretty crushed.

• Informative
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
Nope, mine stayed the same in the app but obviously won't happen. I bet we all got the same text basically saying "no ETA at this time." Possibilities I can think of:
  1. Issue with 4680 in general as you suggested. Perhaps picking up something in remote data from current owners?
  2. 4680 shortage? Is that possible?
  3. Dedicating all resources to pushing out higher margin LR prior to end of quarter next month?
  4. About to raise prices on 4680 (perhaps with a range increase) and didn't want to let anymore out of the building at this price?
  5. Lied about not building these specific ones and instead reallocated them to LR waitlist or people who added FSD?
Any other possibilities? Not that it matters at this point, but that's what internet forums are for. I'm trying to be lighthearted about this as there's WAY more important things going on in the world, but man, I'm honestly pretty crushed.

Yea, I think an issue with the 4680 is most likely. Our price should be locked in with this order so I doubt it's a price issue. I have a feeling something happened with the 4680 cells so they had to scrap the plans to produce these. It makes sense for them to slowly roll these vehicles out before going to general order where they will need to be able to mass produce thousands per week.

I just called this morning, My SA said they have the same information we have at the moment but they are putting together a FAQ as multiple people are calling in with the same questions. They are going to submit the FAQ up to Tesla HQ for clarity and said to call back next week and he should have more answers.

He said he doesn't believe there is any time limit on getting the $250 order fee back if we want to wait and he recommended against making order changes until we get more clarity from Tesla as to what's going on.

I just called this morning, My SA said they have the same information we have at the moment but they are putting together a FAQ as multiple people are calling in with the same questions. They are going to submit the FAQ up to Tesla HQ for clarity and said to call back next week and he should have more answers.

He said he doesn't believe there is any time limit on getting the $250 order fee back if we want to wait and he recommended against making order changes until we get more clarity from Tesla as to what's going on.
Can't thank you enough for the update! I was going to pick up out of state and hadn't spoken with an SA, so I appreciate you calling yours. I did email the SC's general address yesterday and will post back if I hear anything. Like you, I'm going to let the reservation ride for the time being as it's only $250 and I want the car if there's any chance of getting it in the near future.

Reactions: Jman841
Has anyones EDD updated?
Nope, but I'm pretty sure it's out of the question given the circumstances.

More interesting speculation: I saw that Tesla just introduced a much more affordable SR Y in Europe. Could they be thinking of doing something similar in the US soon? I could eventually see something like: SR LFP, current LR 2170, and super duper LR 4680. That lineup makes a lot more sense than shoehorning in the AWD 4680 we ordered since the price and range differences between each level would likely be substantial.

Either way, I still hope we get some answers soon. I'm still a little bitter about this, lol.

Reactions: Jman841
I just got an updated EDD this morning at 10 am EST. It's now showing December 19 - January 30. I'm going to call this week and see if there's any news, but may add the tow bar and see how that effects the EDD since this is now months away.

I just got an updated EDD this morning at 10 am EST. It's now showing December 19 - January 30. I'm going to call this week and see if there's any news, but may add the tow bar and see how that effects the EDD since this is now months away.
Huh, they updated mine this morning as well, but to Oct 26 - Nov 30. This is so weird. So now they plan to build these, but two months later than planned? And why are our EDDs so different?

Are you able to modify your order online to change colors, options, etc... Or you're going to ask on the phone? Who are you calling, by the way? Your SC or national sales?