Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Range AWD Model Y inventory priced $61,990 USD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How are you liking the Model 3? Do you find it's big enough? We have 1 daughter who is 18 months and my only concern with the M3 is it would be too small for a growing family.

I def am not excited to pay $68k after taxes and everything for a Model Y, I don't think the prices in the US will go down though as the tax credit will effectively make it cheaper next year.

The issue is, there isn't many other options. My wife loves the Toyota Sienna, but it's a 15% mark up right now on those, so it's over $50k for a basic Sienna around here. I'de rather pay $60k for the Tesla than $50k for a Toyota.

Have you've owned or driven a Sienna long-term? I was forced to drive my brother's almost new (late 2021) Sienna hybrid this past spring for a week (he took off on a Vegas trip with his wife and left me with his kids lol). The only positives I have say about it: plenty of size for a large family and it's crazy fuel efficient.

I had a Telluride at the time and other than mpg.. there was nothing I liked about the Sienna better. Noisy, slow, crappy tech, poor visibility, lacking in safety features, lacking in luxury features, cheap interior. You buy Toyotas for resale and not to enjoy driving them.

Have you've owned or driven a Sienna long-term? I was forced to drive my brother's almost new (late 2021) Sienna hybrid this past spring for a week (he took off on a Vegas trip with his wife and left me with his kids lol). The only positives I have say about it: plenty of size for a large family and it's crazy fuel efficient.

I had a Telluride at the time and other than mpg.. there was nothing I liked about the Sienna better. Noisy, slow, crappy tech, poor visibility, lacking in safety features, lacking in luxury features, cheap interior. You buy Toyotas for resale and not to enjoy driving them.
My wife likes the Sienna a lot more than the large SUV's. In terms of acceleration, the telluride and Sienna are almost identical, not sure what you mean by slow. It might not feel it due to the CVT, but it's 0-60 times are sub 8 seconds, similar to the Telluride.

What she cares about is having a lot of room for kids, friends, people, and stuff, reliability, and good gas mileage. She doesn't care about tech or interior quality.

My wife likes the Sienna a lot more than the large SUV's. In terms of acceleration, the telluride and Sienna are almost identical, not sure what you mean by slow. It might not feel it due to the CVT, but it's 0-60 times are sub 8 seconds, similar to the Telluride.

What she cares about is having a lot of room for kids, friends, people, and stuff, reliability, and good gas mileage. She doesn't care about tech or interior quality.

Telluride's main weakness is the poor 0 to 30 acceleration but after that it's peppy, smooth, and quiet. Plenty of passing power to rip past cars due to the 3.6L V6.

Sienna reviews say the cabin noise level is 67 dB at highway speeds whereas I've measured the Telluride to be low-60s (62 dB) at highway speeds (confirmed by Car and Driver - 2020 Hyundai Palisade vs. 2020 Kia Telluride: Which All-New Three-Row SUV Is the Best?). This is quieter than almost all EVs that I've owned... maybe only the Ioniq 5 or GV60 or new Lyriq are quieter. I measured the ID.4 and Ariya noise levels in my last test drives and neither were that quiet.

The Sienna's suspension isn't the greatest either. I didn't find the ride as smooth as a Telluride.

If your wife doesn't care about tech or interior quality... then Toyotas are perfect. The $45K Sienna has a "belongs in a $20K car" infotainment and audio system that my sister in law didn't mind because she doesn't listen to music nor use CarPlay. CarPlay is included but the screen is tiny and it doesn't update correctly so your GPS position is often wrong - same thing happened with my RAV4 Prime. You have to have your phone unlocked and Google/Apple Maps opened to have it sync correctly in realtime with the Toyota system.

I'm not saying Toyotas are bad. Toyota hybrid drivetrains are world-class and the vehicles are reliable (I argue without certain safety features like blind spot alarms, 360 cameras, and digital rear view mirrors they are less safe) but overpriced. Folks complain that Tesla interiors are cheap/basic... let me point you to all Toyotas.

Telluride's main weakness is the poor 0 to 30 acceleration but after that it's peppy, smooth, and quiet. Plenty of passing power to rip past cars due to the 3.6L V6.

Sienna reviews say the cabin noise level is 67 dB at highway speeds whereas I've measured the Telluride to be low-60s (62 dB) at highway speeds (confirmed by Car and Driver - 2020 Hyundai Palisade vs. 2020 Kia Telluride: Which All-New Three-Row SUV Is the Best?). This is quieter than almost all EVs that I've owned... maybe only the Ioniq 5 or GV60 or new Lyriq are quieter. I measured the ID.4 and Ariya noise levels in my last test drives and neither were that quiet.

The Sienna's suspension isn't the greatest either. I didn't find the ride as smooth as a Telluride.

If your wife doesn't care about tech or interior quality... then Toyotas are perfect. The $45K Sienna has a "belongs in a $20K car" infotainment and audio system that my sister in law didn't mind because she doesn't listen to music nor use CarPlay. CarPlay is included but the screen is tiny and it doesn't update correctly so your GPS position is often wrong - same thing happened with my RAV4 Prime. You have to have your phone unlocked and Google/Apple Maps opened to have it sync correctly in realtime with the Toyota system.

I'm not saying Toyotas are bad. Toyota hybrid drivetrains are world-class and the vehicles are reliable (I argue without certain safety features like blind spot alarms, 360 cameras, and digital rear view mirrors they are less safe) but overpriced. Folks complain that Tesla interiors are cheap/basic... let me point you to all Toyotas.
Yea, if it was my car, I would totally agree. But for my wife, she loves the Sienna. The cargo and people space in the Sienna is significantly more than the large SUV's, gas mileage matters to her, and reliability.

The Sienna does have all those safety features in the higher trim levels, including birdseye camera. It's not a cheap vehicle, but none of the minivans are.

Either way, my debate right now is either the Model 3 or Model Y. I'm having a hard time justifying a $15-20k increase in price of the Model Y over the 3 if my wife wants a Sienna. The Sienna is more practical than Model Y, so we won't need the extra cargo space of the Y vs. the 3. The 3 will be my car and mainly for me to drive around, so I think it makes sense to save the $15k and go with the Model 3.

Used values are tanking right now and the tax credit is coming up very soon. I feel like buying the Model Y right now, even if it's the Texas made 4680 with structural pack AWD that I have on order, is buying at the absolute worst time. No more USS, Peak pricing, new battery that has not been proven, and less daily range than the Model 3 RWD since it can't be charged to 100% daily.

Reactions: IndyGopher
How are you liking the Model 3? Do you find it's big enough? We have 1 daughter who is 18 months and my only concern with the M3 is it would be too small for a growing family.

I def am not excited to pay $68k after taxes and everything for a Model Y, I don't think the prices in the US will go down though as the tax credit will effectively make it cheaper next year.

The issue is, there isn't many other options. My wife loves the Toyota Sienna, but it's a 15% mark up right now on those, so it's over $50k for a basic Sienna around here. I'de rather pay $60k for the Tesla than $50k for a Toyota.
We love the Model 3, but honestly, we'd rather have the Y for seating height and size -- but not at the price difference Tesla wants right now. The 3 really is surprisingly roomy, and between the frunk, under trunk, and trunk, you can haul a LOT. We have an ICE SUV and wouldn't use the 3 in that way, but plenty of people online take their families on massive camping trips and the like in a Model 3 and find the storage to be plenty. My biggest gripe is the ridiculously low seating position, which one finally dialed in but which feels like a sports car rather than a family sedan. Still, given how turned off you are by the Model Y price (like us), I'd recommend strongly considering the 3. Maybe a test drive with strollers, diaper bags, booster seats, and the whole 9 yards lol

We love the Model 3, but honestly, we'd rather have the Y for seating height and size -- but not at the price difference Tesla wants right now. The 3 really is surprisingly roomy, and between the frunk, under trunk, and trunk, you can haul a LOT. We have an ICE SUV and wouldn't use the 3 in that way, but plenty of people online take their families on massive camping trips and the like in a Model 3 and find the storage to be plenty. My biggest gripe is the ridiculously low seating position, which one finally dialed in but which feels like a sports car rather than a family sedan. Still, given how turned off you are by the Model Y price (like us), I'd recommend strongly considering the 3. Maybe a test drive with strollers, diaper bags, booster seats, and the whole 9 yards lol

I’m with you on the seating position of the 3. Literally the only reason I switched to the Y. The 3 is more fun to drive but when you drive in the early morning against the sun, the low seating position is a hazard.

I ended up canceling the Y and re-ordered the 3 RWD. Just can't justify a $19k difference after taxes. The Model 3 is going to be my car, the whole point is that it won't be the family beater. I watched a video that did measurements of the back seats between the Y and 3, what surprised me is they were nearly identical other than the seat height from the floor. Plus, I enjoy driving the 3 more.

We will see what happens next year, but if prices drop or if used prices come down a ton since new cars will qualify for the tax credit, We may pick up a used Model Y for my wife or a Toyota Sienna and that can be the family beater.
But Yea, the 3 and Y are almost the exact same vehicle other than height and hatchback vs. trunk. I can't justify $19k more especially for the AWD SR version of the Y that would have far less daily range since it can't be charged to 100% daily like the Model 3 RWD can.

Bump... How are you guys liking the Standard Range? Just ordered mine... concerned about range and not sure what the best route is. Would be interested in hearing your experiences around range or anything else related to these 4680 packs. Thank you!