Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Range Plus Supercharging Speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi @Mutley , do you happen to have a CSV of this data?

I used a digitizer to turn your chart into some data to make it more digestible, but if I could get the actual underlying data I could make this more accurate. This assumes that the EPA rated efficiency of 250 wh/mi applies to supercharging as well.

sr_cumulative_miles.png

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Slightly more accurate version using SOC instead of kW and lots of math. This one just assumes an SOC of 100% translates to 240 miles. Looks like at 30 minutes there's a cumulative 130 miles of range added, and a total of 170 miles was added over the entire 45 minute charge.

soc.png

Thanks for the PM @Mutley ! I thought I'd have a bit of fun analyzing this data! So, some statistics first:

• At 33.4% SOC, you achieved your fastest charge rate of an observed 6.7 miles per minute. If that rate were sustained, that would be about 403 miles per hour.
  • Over the entire 45 minute charge, you averaged a charge rate of about 228.48 miles per hour.
  • Broken up into 15 minute intervals, the first 15 minutes charged at an average rate of 278 MPH, the next 15 minutes charged at a rate of 259 MPH, and the last 15 minutes charged at a rate of 148 MPH.
And here's a chart of the observed miles per minute (with a little LOESS smoothing), and the instantaneous miles per hour (left axis multiplied by 60). At first it sounds disappointing to hear the SR peaks out at 102 kW, but it's still an incredible machine that blows most of the non-Tesla competition away.

sr_charge_rate.png

Hi,

Before reaching the charger, I drove: Huntsville AL; Fayetteville TN; Pulaski TN, and; Athens AL. It was the previous version of software as I was busy scaring myself with AutoSteer. The current version is a lot more predictable and less 'exciting' especially on right hand bends in the road.

I used a 3d party dash cam to record my charging session:

I transcribed the data to generate this chart:
chart.jpg

There are three distinct, mi/hr functions: (1) ramp up; (2) power limited, and; (3) charge taper down
  1. y = -16.327 x**2 + 172.23 x + 12.731 :: x range 0-5.5 minutes
  2. y = 463 :: x range 5.5-11.9 minutes
  3. y = 8184x**-1.139 :: x range 13.6-40.3+
Questions?

Bob Wilson

Last edited:
Yep, you'll be charging on a warm battery so you should see maximum charge level.
But to get full benefit, be careful not to share your Supercharger pair, for example if someone is already on 3A, avoid 3B.
Not always possible on a busy Supercharger station, and the trick there is to try to figure out whose been charging longest, and share the A/B with them.

Went to the supercharger in Brandon, FL with only 1 other car there way down at the end of the row of chargers. With 44 miles remaining, I was getting 102kW @ 462 MPH. I only needed about 80 miles of total range to get to my next destination (hotel with Tesla HPWC) so it was done before I could have walked over to Starbucks!

Reactions: willow_hiller
Any SR/+ owners get 2019.12 firmware update, yet? I wonder if the change log will still say 150 kW charging rate.
It should be interesting to see what they allow in the new firmware. Incidentally, it's 2019.12.1 that is the latest. 2019.12 didn't have the 150kW reference.

I posted my optimistic predictions here: 150kW Supercharging for Model 3

I didn't like the quality of my first report so I repeated it using iPhone, 'TIME-LAPSE' to record the session:
Super_130.jpg

• Standard Range Plus Model 3, V19.16.2
    • climate control was off
  • 20 mi indicated battery range at start
  • 237 mi stopped recording data in spreadsheet
    • frame numbers to reconstruct true time
    • kW rate
    • mi/hr rate
    • battery mi
    • cost
    • first and last frame times
Here is the battery range in miles during the session:
Super_100.jpg

One goal is resolving the optimum charge session for cost and speed, the green dashed rectangular box:
  • too short duration - the ramp up slows getting back on the road. It is cheapest BUT a slower trip end-to-end speed.
  • too long duration - the battery taper slows getting back on the road. It is also more expensive while giving a slower trip end-to-end speed.
Adding the charge and travel time at 65 mph with the distance covered gives a curve showing the optimum, battery charge:
Super_110.jpg

What this means is attempts to charge to the vehicle maximum range is both expensive and causes the trip to take longer. It is slightly faster and cheaper to go shorter distance, SuperCharger-to-SuperCharge when in SuperCharger mode. This does not apply on the first trip of the day leaving with the car at maximum charge.

This busy chart combines the costs and battery mi level with the X-axis, charge rate:
Super_120.jpg

• $0.025/mi = $2.50/100 mi - optimum route, expected cost. With gas at $2.50/gal, in effect, 100 MPG equivalent.
  • longer distance legs will give a slower trip time and higher cost but if you have to reach a SuperCharger, there is only one alternative . . . slower speed than 65 mph. But it will be faster than stopped or using an L1 or L2 charger.
On long range trips that require multiple SuperCharger sessions, there may be more than one route. Choose the route with the closest SuperChargers and do multiple, short charges. Avoid routes that have a lot of maximum range segments.

Bob Wilson

Interesting graphs Bob. The SR/+ cars are going to see the most dramatic and immediate effects from the rollout of charging profiles that support V3 Superchargers. They will likely see significant gain on V2 stations. It will be very interesting to see this analysis redone with firmware 2019.20.1 or later. The bottomline conclusions should remain the same but there will be even more motivation to do more, shorter stops to only recharge the battery low.

When the charging infrastructure is dense enough to support this frequent charging, the trip durations for an SR car will basically be the same as an SR+ car.