Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Range Plus Supercharging Speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only had one charge today that started from 10% or below. I didn’t see more than 100 kW, even once the charging ramped up at I got to 9-10%. I’m starting to questions whether I really saw 106 kW on Friday, I wasn’t paying too much attention. Taper began at 39%. Hope this helps!

I only had one charge today that started from 10% or below. I didn’t see more than 100 kW, even once the charging ramped up at I got to 9-10%. I’m starting to questions whether I really saw 106 kW on Friday, I wasn’t paying too much attention. Taper began at 39%. Hope this helps!
If your phone has a "time lapse" video option, please record your session and analyze later.

Bob Wilson

Assuming that Tesla doesn't play the "software lock" game that they so often do with lower-tier models, the SR+ should be able to charge at ~150kWh, which is approximately 3x it's battery capacity. This would put it on par with the LR models that can charge at 225-250kWh, which is approximately 3x their battery capacity. My expectations for that, though, are low.

Reactions: Legen---dary
First post here. I charged over the weekend with my SR+. The taper is allowing more power with 2019.20.2.1. Sorry I didn't catch the condition before 54%.
% KW
54 85
55 83
56 82
57 81
58 79
59 76
60 74
61 72
62 69
63 68
64 65
65 63
66 61
67 59
68 57
69 56
70 54
71 52
72 51
73 49
74 46
75 44
76 43
77 39
Thanks for recording this data. How warm was the battery? Did you use ORBW and drive for awhile or had the car been sitting?

11C8121B-C854-48D2-A29A-C2432B53A5A9.jpeg
I did use the navigation to route to the SC. I was on a long trip and did see the battery pack condition indication before the previous SC. Just before the 2nd SC (where the data was taken) I did several hard accelerations so the heating feature appeared to not be needed. Also I charged from 22% so by the time the taper started I'm sure the pack was hot enough. Also I did notice that the battery fan(s) are now more active with this new taper. Previously the fans would run once at the end of the peak charge near 40% but now during the taper the fans had to come back on.

Attachments

• 6B56C0B7-AAFA-41AB-AE7B-C6D84D63E8AD.jpeg
    6B56C0B7-AAFA-41AB-AE7B-C6D84D63E8AD.jpeg
    757.2 KB · Views: 37
I met a new SR+ owner a few weeks ago while at the SC. We started with the same SOC of 70 miles. I know, it sounds planned, it wasn't. We each had unshared stalls, each charging at 500Mph, mine at the same rate for a bit longer than the SR+ which tapered slightly to 450 or thereabout. Surprisingly, we hit the 90% charge for each M3 at about the same time.

My car is a LR AWD, 11/18 build.

I met a new SR+ owner a few weeks ago while at the SC. We started with the same SOC of 70 miles. I know, it sounds planned, it wasn't. We each had unshared stalls, each charging at 500Mph, mine at the same rate for a bit longer than the SR+ which tapered slightly to 450 or thereabout. Surprisingly, we hit the 90% charge for each M3 at about the same time.

My car is a LR AWD, 11/18 build.

This makes perfect sense. 500mph indicates both cars were charging at approximately 100 kWh (perhaps slightly more for the LR model). Since the SR+ started off at a higher SOC (29% as opposed to 23%) and because it's battery is smaller, it hit the taper-point quicker than your long range model did, which was able to maintain a higher charge-rate for longer, thus both arriving at 90% about the same time. The SR+ had a lower overall charge-rate but it was offset by having a smaller battery.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
So looks like SR+ Supercharger speed is capped around 101 - 105 kWh :( ..

When Tesla lifted the 120 kW cap on V2, didn't they say it was because they were studying how the battery packs held up under high charging loads? I think they've artificially capped the SR for now because it's a new pack configuration, and they'll un-cap it when they have enough data to prove it's safe to do so.

Reactions: Zoomit
The current (2019.20.x) SR+ charging profile is limited to less than what a V2 stall can provide. V3 currently offers no advantage other than “unshared” stalls.
Here's an updated graph with the data from @LittleBlue. I updated the gray dotted prediction lines based the recent V3 Supercharging example here: V3 Supercharging Profiles for Model 3

Two thoughts:
  1. It obviously shows a later taper, as expected with a 19.20.x charging profile. It's parallel to the predicted lines but offset by a similar amount seen with some of the LR cars. The predictions represent an ideal charging session and it's likely the battery was not warm enough to support the full predicted rate. Still, the fact that the lines are parallel is encouraging.
  2. The SR/+ cars will not see much advantage, other than the "unshared" stalls, while using a V3 Supercharger. Conditions will have to be near-ideal to see any benefit over a V2 stall: low SoC and fully-warmed battery. The upside is that the V2 Superchargers, which are currently and for the foreseeable future much more pervasive, should be able to charge at near 150kW (about 2.6C for the SR/+). When they roll this out, in some future firmware revision, the effective charging times for SR/+ will be a little lower. My predictions show an ideal 20-80% charge session will take:
    • V2 (19.20.x): 23.1 min
    • V2: 21.3 min (8% faster)
    • V3: 20.9 min (10% faster)
20190625b 3SR+ chrg.png