Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Range Plus Supercharging Speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several people around the forum with 2019.36.2.1 have tried Supercharging their SR+ and have found the 100 kW cap is still in place, unfortunately. One guy on Reddit even tried it on a V3 and still only got 100 kW.

They've pulled the 170 kW since 2019.36.1, hopefully they fix whatever the problem was and bring it back soon!

Ahh interesting, had not seen any of those posts. Thank you for confirming!

Will be interesting if they do allow 170kW charging on the cheaper model because then there really isn't much point buying the Long Range version. You end up saving like 10 minutes on a 5 hour drive.

Yeah, that's the only time it makes sense. If you are doing 200-300 miles regularly you can avoid a stop along the way without having to adjust your driving style much.
That’s a lot of expense to avoid 10 minutes of charging a handful of times a year. IMO, the LR makes sense from a longevity perspective, but not much else. I’ve driven my SR almost 22k miles in 7 months, and I’ve supercharged less than 20 times, and most of those would have required charging a LR as well.

That’s a lot of expense to avoid 10 minutes of charging a handful of times a year. IMO, the LR makes sense from a longevity perspective, but not much else. I’ve driven my SR almost 22k miles in 7 months, and I’ve supercharged less than 20 times, and most of those would have required charging a LR as well.

To be honest, the extra capacity probably matters most not getting to a destination, but staying there. I've had two trips now which involved Supercharging en-route, followed by 2-3 days of driving around in locations without local Superchargers. It took some careful planning and some lucky breaks with L2 chargers for me to have enough capacity at the end of the stays to make it back to the nearest Supercharger.

With apologies for the slight thread-drift, but I wish I had opted for a LR. Don't need it day-to-day, but there are rare times it would have made a difference.
Absolutely. We did a hike a few months ago. The round trip from home to the trail head was about 80-85% of our LR capability. We couldn't have done it in an SR. There are no Superchargers along the route.

And then as @willow_hiller mentioned, LR is really nice for bouncing around town on vacation where the town is already a good distance past your last Supercharger (which then becomes your first Supercharger on the homeward half).

Reactions: willow_hiller
Mid-range owner, here. Anybody know about what kind of updates we'll get with regards to supercharging speed increases? Right now I max out at 120kw, even on a 250kw charger, so I'm really hoping that we'll get an update as well to at least 170kw, if not higher. As many of you have noted, I agree that this speed bump is really significant.