Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starlink direct to T-Mobile phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting read, that entire thread. Bottom line, FCC approval may be a problem as evidenced by ASTS issues getting approval themselves.
If T-Mobile already has sole license for the spectrum, why would it be an issue?

As to other points in the thread. V2 sats will not start out with PCS, so no FCC delay to launch those. Could SpaceX launch with the antennas, and leave them powered down until aporoval (mass tradeoff)? Either way, it's not a roadblock to Starlink v2 roll out.

Timing sounded like it's due to rate of launches not an experimental period. One sat is enough to provide functionally.

Nothing sounded half formed beyond 3rd paty involvement (which had to wait on the reveal). They've run the link budget numbers and tested the signal path in the lab.

Broadband Personal Communications Service (PCS)
FCC calls out PCS as 1850 MHz to 1990 MHz.

Sprint had CDMA in Band 25 at 1900 MHz, Band 41 @ 2.5 GHz was for 5G expansion.

Cheat sheet: which 4G LTE bands do AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint use in the USA? - IPS Inter Press Service Business

2.5 GHz would help with antenna size though.
The drawback of higher frequencies is that higher frequencies don't penetrate objects well. So lower frequencies would require less power to transmit and presumably a smaller satellite antenna to receive the signal, all else being equal.

But I'm not sure what the trade-off between antenna size, loss, etc would be here when comparing 1900 MHz to 2500 MHz, so it could be a wash.

Being familiar with another LEO satellite constellation which has been around for decades (Iridium), it's interesting to see the parallels between SpaceX and Iridium.

Way back in the 2000s Iridium was sold as a cellular replacement technology without having to set up cell phone towers everywhere. But somehow the fact that you need line-of-sight to the satellite to actually get a signal due to how far away the satellites are was overlooked and almost caused the death of Iridium. The book Eccentric Orbits is an excellent read that covers this for satellite buffs. Iridium uses L band (1610-1626.5 MHz).

So I was pleased to hear them mention (even in passing) line of sight and mention things like having the phone close to you will degrade the signal. These are things that are commonly overlooked. I would not expect the service to work well from inside a car (better in a Tesla with a glass roof) or inside buildings. Voice calls or anything needing a near 100% connection will be problematic until the constellation is fully built out as people using Starlink currently can attest to.

But for people outdoors and for SMS/email type of communications with asynchronous communications needs, this is huge, especially given that the cost appears to be nominal if T-Mobile is including the service with most plans.

Last edited:
It's great these companies are working together to solve the problem. And gawd knows publicly traded rocket companies (ASTS, GSAT) need a cash infusion. But being global, I bet none have easy regulatory approval.

Text message revenue will be miniscule but the potential customer base might be huge. Cellphone sales might even see a little uptick but cellphone manufacturers will need inexpensive phones with long battery life for those living without normal infrastructure.

It's great these companies are working together to solve the problem. And gawd knows publicly traded rocket companies (ASTS, GSAT) need a cash infusion. But being global, I bet none have easy regulatory approval.

Text message revenue will be minuscule but the potential customer base might be huge. Cellphone sales might even see a little uptick but cellphone manufacturers will need inexpensive phones with long battery life for those living without normal infrastructure.
A portable solar panel and a recycled LTE phone from a few years ago would work in the undeveloped countries.

Mid band LTE isn't a recent development and portable solar panels can be found in random villages that have no hard line AC power source. Villagers all come around and charge up their phone once or twice a day.

A portable solar panel and a recycled LTE phone from a few years ago would work in the undeveloped countries.

Mid band LTE isn't a recent development and portable solar panels can be found in random villages that have no hard line AC power source. Villagers all come around and charge up their phone once or twice a day.
I doubt recycled phones would be much of a selling point.

I doubt recycled phones would be much of a selling point.
They are very common in 3rd world countries, no matter how much you doubt it.

What does this mean for retailers and wholesale businesses? More and more end-users tend to choose used, renewed, or refurbished devices instead of purchasing new ones, about once in 2 years. Multiple statistical data prove this fact and the growing trend.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: wipster
The drawback of higher frequencies is that higher frequencies don't penetrate objects well. So lower frequencies would require less power to transmit and presumably a smaller satellite antenna to receive the signal, all else being equal.

But I'm not sure what the trade-off between antenna size, loss, etc would be here when comparing 1900 MHz to 2500 MHz, so it could be a wash.

Being familiar with another LEO satellite constellation which has been around for decades (Iridium), it's interesting to see the parallels between SpaceX and Iridium.

Way back in the 2000s Iridium was sold as a cellular replacement technology without having to set up cell phone towers everywhere. But somehow the fact that you need line-of-sight to the satellite to actually get a signal due to how far away the satellites are was overlooked and almost caused the death of Iridium. The book Eccentric Orbits is an excellent read that covers this for satellite buffs. Iridium uses L band (1610-1626.5 MHz).

So I was pleased to hear them mention (even in passing) line of sight and mention things like having the phone close to you will degrade the signal. These are things that are commonly overlooked. I would not expect the service to work well from inside a car (better in a Tesla with a glass roof) or inside buildings. Voice calls or anything needing a near 100% connection will be problematic until the constellation is fully built out as people using Starlink currently can attest to.

But for people outdoors and for SMS/email type of communications with asynchronous communications needs, this is huge, especially given that the cost appears to be nominal if T-Mobile is including the service with most plans.
Weekend tangent: For those interested in Iridium, and the rather fascinating story of concept to product, and how it was almost killed at birth and the multiple last minute attempts to keep it alive, I recommend "Eccentric Orbits, The Iridium Story" by John Bloom... pretty fascinating if, like me, you find the inside story of tech companies/products compelling...

Reactions: Dave EV
Weekend tangent: For those interested in Iridium, and the rather fascinating story of concept to product, and how it was almost killed at birth and the multiple last minute attempts to keep it alive, I recommend "Eccentric Orbits, The Iridium Story" by John Bloom... pretty fascinating if, like me, you find the inside story of tech companies/products compelling...
I did mention that book in the middle of my long post, but perhaps I should have highlighted it more, it is an excellent book as you describe.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I still find it incredible they are planning to test connectivity to "unmodified cell phones" ...
Hardware wise, as long as the received signal strength is high enough and the signal at the sattelite is high enough (both of which can be achieved by sattelite design), it doesn't care. (Ok, and the signal looks right, predistorted to cancel Doppler shift)

However, I expect the phone's radio software is modified to handle the longer round trip delay. (Though I can imagine inefficient fallback configurations where it need not be)

Given the distance delta and antenna design in the limited antenna space of a cell handset designed to hit a cell tower at most a few miles away, it's exactly signal strength that surprises me.

I'm not surprised that sat-to-handset is possible. I'm surprised it's feasible with existing designs.

Given the distance delta and antenna design in the limited antenna space of a cell handset designed to hit a cell tower at most a few miles away, it's exactly signal strength that surprises me.

I'm not surprised that sat-to-handset is possible. I'm surprised it's feasible with existing designs.
Which existing design though, phone or satellite?
Upgraded Deep Space Network still talks to Voyager 2.

Signal strength (per unit area) falls at the square of distance, 500km vs 50km requires 100x the area or 10x per side (if using the same receiver, which they are not). Starlink phone antenna is 5-6 meters, 25 m^2, equivalent to 0.25m^2 at 50 km or 2.7 ft^2. Cell tower antennas are about 1 sq ft.

Not to say it isn't cool and mind blowing!

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal and mspohr