Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starship Orbital Prototype - Texas Version

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more from @BocaChicaGal:
70877136_10214946174954632_8413758937643352064_n.jpg

Reactions: EKoS
Might be worth remembering that these early development vehicles don't have weight concerns. They can be massively heavier than the final design as they don't plan to carry any actual cargo. Although these units are planned to fly without a BFR under them, so they can't get CRAZY, but still they can get away with making the skin out of heavier / thicker material than the final version will use. Using thicker material allows for less perfect welds and more of them.

It sounds to me like they just want make sure it re enters the atmosphere and lands properly. Consider that they likely won't stick the landing on the first try. Consider how many Falcon 9's went kaboom before they stuck the landing. The process of landing these is a bit more complicated than landing an F9. Building 2 is a good move.

Consider that they likely won't stick the landing on the first try. Consider how many Falcon 9's went kaboom before they stuck the landing. The process of landing these is a bit more complicated than landing an F9. Building 2 is a good move.

F9 didn't really have many RUDs and the ones that did happen were one off issues. They had five or so successful test water landing after the first reentry test that failed due to roll issues. Ran out of oxygen. Sticking engine valve. Ran out of hydraulic fluid . Then there was the leg that didn't lock. A bunch of landings interspersed with the stalled hydraulic pump, FH ran out of TEA/TEB, FH2 fell over on the way back.

Falcon 9 first-stage landing tests - Wikipedia

What I find interesting on this pix, is what is the obvious internal volume. The craft itself is smaller than A-380, but bigger than a 747-100. However, it is obvious that the available volume is less than 1/3, and more like 1/4. As such, this will be doing great to hold 100 ppl in an all-coach airline configuration, and ZERO chance of 100 ppl to space (along with their cargo, etc).

What I find interesting on this pix, is what is the obvious internal volume. The craft itself is smaller than A-380, but bigger than a 747-100. However, it is obvious that the available volume is less than 1/3, and more like 1/4. As such, this will be doing great to hold 100 ppl in an all-coach airline configuration, and ZERO chance of 100 ppl to space (along with their cargo, etc).
Hummm....
Starship has over double the volume and area per person (ignoring unpressurized cargo).

A-380 diameter: 7.14m
A-380 cabin length: 50.68m
Theoretical volume: 2,029 m^3
Reality: main passenger width is 6.58m , upper is 5.92m
Passenger area: 633.5 m^2
Passenger volume: 633.5* 2m = 1,267m^3 (approx)
A-380 seating: 555
Area per passenger: 1.14 m^2
Cabin volume per passenger: 2.28 m^3
Total volume per passenger: 3.66 m^3

Starship diameter: 9m
Starship cabin length: ~14m
Starship cabin volume: 890m^3
Internal outer area (circumference only): 396 m^2
Capacity: 100
Area per person: ~3.9 m^2
Total volume per person: 8.9 m^3

Edit: or 6 levels 8.5m diameter with 2m hole in center
362m^2

Last edited:
F9 didn't really have many RUDs and the ones that did happen were one off issues. They had five or so successful test water landing after the first reentry test that failed due to roll issues. Ran out of oxygen. Sticking engine valve. Ran out of hydraulic fluid . Then there was the leg that didn't lock. A bunch of landings interspersed with the stalled hydraulic pump, FH ran out of TEA/TEB, FH2 fell over on the way back.

Falcon 9 first-stage landing tests - Wikipedia
I forgot about the F9 water landing tests. I wonder if the first Starship will be sacrificed at sea?

I forgot about the F9 water landing tests. I wonder if the first Starship will be sacrificed at sea?
Not if things go well. Probably start put off the coast then bting it back to the pad.
Early F9 didn't do boostback burn so had to land at sea. Early attempts were too unproven to use a drone ship. Plus first stage reusability may not have been there.