Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting and also ending the iPace "comparison".

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla typically does not give notice when updates might occur. They usually just start putting the updates automatically into the production line as soon as they are able. Many customers have gotten updates that they did not expect, just because they began coming down the line prior to their delivery.

People always want the latest and greatest. Lots of posts from people waiting for this or that. Sometimes they even raise of lower their prices for one reason or another.

Same with OTA software and feature updates. They do not publish what is in the updated ahead of time, not explain all the details after the updates, just generalized notes on new features.

Reactions: Kacey Green
More things an iPace wouldn't be seen at:

tesla-supercharger-baker-ca-40-stalls.jpg

screen-shot-2018-02-20-at-10-51-30-am.jpg

alfa-romeo-4c-battles-another-4c-towed-by-a-tesla-model-x-in-drag-race-105739_1.jpg

I try to be objective and look at the positives of every vehicle doesn't matter the make, I have always purchased my vehicles because I love what they have to offer, not because of the name, in this case I think I will be the first to congratulate Jaguar to at least give Tesla some competition, it might not be an X but at $10k less than the cheapest X it will sure help with changing the perspective of electric vehicles. I for one think they will do well.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I'm also happy that other desirable EV's are coming out but there is one big issue, no charging network. It's one thing to buy an 80 mile leaf for 20-30k and drive it around town as a 2nd car but that won't work for many people at 70k+. I would not have bought our X without the superchargers.

I think they Porsche prototypes look great and I've always been a Porsche fan, but they have the same issue. There will eventually be a network everyone can use that is comparable to the supercharger network but they are 5 years behind minimum. All these "competitors" are DOA until they remedy this major issue.

I try to be objective and look at the positives of every vehicle doesn't matter the make, I have always purchased my vehicles because I love what they have to offer, not because of the name, in this case I think I will be the first to congratulate Jaguar to at least give Tesla some competition, it might not be an X but at $10k less than the cheapest X it will sure help with changing the perspective of electric vehicles. I for one think they will do well.

I definitely agree. As a Model X owner, I think the i-pace looks great and it's starting price is extremely competitive. I felt like they deserve more press actually. Only seating 5 is a deal killer for me but there are a ton of Lexus rx owners out there so 5 seats is prob good enough for many. After owning our X for a year, I didn't realize how great the charging network is, which I feel like I can only truly appreciate now. Still, the competition is great, at the end of the day I think customers win and will drive Tesla to push the envelope further. I am confident they are up to the challenge!

The iPace is a very interesting vehicle as it addresses one of the ongoing sore points of all Teslas; spartan interiors.

It is incredibly unfortunate that they have produced such a stupid marketing video. We were eagerly awaiting the iPace as a possible replacement for our i3, but the video has really cooled our ardour. We are not fools and know the iPace won't really out-accelerate a Tesla and don't care. We are interested in the quality of the iPace's interior.

Reminds me of the shenanigans Tesla got up to a few years ago with the P85D 691hp nonsense. Tesla don't need to shoot themselves in the foot with their marketing, but they continue to do so. Apparently Jaguar marketing is not immune to this either.

Reactions: nico180
Yea marketing team. Isn’t Tesla all about marketing too? The FSD video is still on Tesla site. Similarly, an average person will buy into FSD based on the video (heck even Tesla owners did). We all know where things stand in reality.
Interesting.... if you are really comparing the Tesla FSD video to the marketing in that Jaguar video, then you should start calling me "Sir Buttershrimp" since I'll be knighted soon for my illustrious talents as a filmmaker since I too have a GoPro and Final Cut Pro... and a Rolling Stones album.

Also, how come no one has mentioned Tesla's second FSD video on the website? Seems to me Tesla knows something is coming with FSD. Right now the biggest thing these other automakers have going for them is the much of the general public is still unaware of Tesla.... just wait until most of them get a ride in a model 3. I'm going out on a limb here and saying there will be a lot of CEO movement at other automakers in coming years. Still.... I'm very happy they are going electric. If some good autopilot competitors come our way, I'd look at the competition. Right now, I'm so disillusioned with old automakers that I'm really brand loyal to Tesla.

I drove a BMW 7 series with their most recent driver assist package the other day. Lane Keeping Assistant is what it was called from memory. Pretty much just as good as Tesla's AutoPilot, much to my surprise.

Look, I'm not trying to hate on BMW... I'm sure it's getting better. But again. It's a static bet.... it's like buying a Tesla with one firmware version. When you get rid of the novelty and spend time with the BMW 7 series or GM car, I doubt it is on the same level. Just saying I'm skeptical but hopeful.

It's a static bet.... it's like buying a Tesla with one firmware version.
OTA updates allow Tesla to release features early, but also half-baked. AP2 for 12 months was simply dangerous. It's now basically where AP1 got to before being abandoned by Tesla.

Having gone through the early adopter excitement of new features on a regular basis, including the breaking of some old features, I am now happily staying on AP1 v7.1, the apogee of AP1 firmwares. I know where this system has issues (eg cresting hills). I no longer want the learning curve of the car trying to kill me in new and novel ways with each new firmware revision.

• Funny
Reactions: HenryCH
OTA updates allow Tesla to release features early, but also half-baked. AP2 for 12 months was simply dangerous. It's now basically where AP1 got to before being abandoned by Tesla.

Having gone through the early adopter excitement of new features on a regular basis, including the breaking of some old features, I am now happily staying on AP1 v7.1, the apogee of AP1 firmwares. I know where this system has issues (eg cresting hills). I no longer want the learning curve of the car trying to kill me in new and novel ways with each new firmware revision.

Dear lord, AP2.0 simply dangerous? I use it daily and comfortably. The car trying to kill you? Please.

Also still on 7.1? Wow, I take it back, definitely go for the BMW, I hear it will work well with your Motorola Razor

All car marketing has always been a crock of BS, so hardly a surprise that Jaguar are making "comparisons" with the Model X. It's great publicity and who cares if people fall for it? Who in their right mind would choose a family SUV based on a drag race? It's just a bit of comedy marketing to raise awareness.

I actually think there's a much bigger market (at least in Europe) for the iPace simply due to its smaller size and lower price. The X is truly enormous by Euro/UK standards and a lot of people would prefer a smaller SUV given the choice. In that respect Jaguar have been quite shrewd. As it happens, we specifically wanted a large SUV with a tow bar for bike racks, so the X was a better choice for us. But for anyone who wants a mid-sized electric SUV, the iPace is looking like a good choice, well actually the only choice! Obviously lack of dedicated rapid charging is going to be a major issue for some buyers, even if they don't know it yet!

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Interesting.... if you are really comparing the Tesla FSD video to the marketing in that Jaguar video, then you should start calling me "Sir Buttershrimp" since I'll be knighted soon for my illustrious talents as a filmmaker since I too have a GoPro and Final Cut Pro... and a Rolling Stones album.

Also, how come no one has mentioned Tesla's second FSD video on the website? Seems to me Tesla knows something is coming with FSD. Right now the biggest thing these other automakers have going for them is the much of the general public is still unaware of Tesla.... just wait until most of them get a ride in a model 3. I'm going out on a limb here and saying there will be a lot of CEO movement at other automakers in coming years. Still.... I'm very happy they are going electric. If some good autopilot competitors come our way, I'd look at the competition. Right now, I'm so disillusioned with old automakers that I'm really brand loyal to Tesla.
Sir Buttershrimp can you post the link to the second FSD video. I did a quick search and couldn't find it. Thanks. BTW I enjoy your videos.

Last edited:
Sir Buttershrimp can you post the link to the second FSD video. I did a quick search and couldn't find it. Thanks. BTW I enjoy your videos.
Hi I’m having a hard time posting from my phone but you basically go to the Tesla site and act like you are about to order a model s, then go to the full self driving part and watch the video. Hope it works for you

Passenger space is pretty much determined by wheelbase and roof-height..
The i-Pace wheelbase is longer than any of the Teslas.
i-Pace wheelbase 299 cm
Model S wheelbase 297.5 cm
Model X wheelbase 296.5cm
Model 3 wheelbase 287.5 cm

In terms of the Jag 'race', I think it's reasonable that they raced the $69k Jag against the $76k and $96k X's, but not against the $140k X.

I like that Jag have taken so much care in slowing the fast-charge 'roll-off', and have worked so hard on the low-temperature range, thanks to their heat-scavenging (they get 2.5kW of heating from each 1kW of battery power, even in sub-zero temperatures).

Re. Charging networks: In the UK, Superchargers had a three year head-start on CCS installations. After the first year of CCS roll-out, there are four times as many CCS rapid chargers, and they are rolling out 16 times as fast. I expect the same to happen in the USA, as the CCS automakers (Jaguar, Audi, Ford, VW, Porsche, BMW, etc) start introducing their new models.

Passenger space is pretty much determined by wheelbase and roof-height..
The i-Pace wheelbase is longer than any of the Teslas.
i-Pace wheelbase 299 cm
Model S wheelbase 297.5 cm
Model X wheelbase 296.5cm
Model 3 wheelbase 287.5 cm

While it is interesting that the iPace has a longer wheelbase than the Model X, I can assure you it is much smaller inside the cabin. The X is enormous inside, up to 7 seats, huge boot space etc. But if you don't need the interior space or see the value in the Tesla supercharger network then good luck with the iPace!