Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting and also ending the iPace "comparison".

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While measuring bumpers and mirrors is a lot of fun, it's actually where they put the axles, tires, and roof that is the best measure of relative 'box' size for the interior seating. Efficiency of layout comes into play, but it's hard to use room that isn't there. The i-Pace is a cab forward design with an extended wheelbase.

Wheelbase of Model 3: 113"
Track of Model 3: 62"
Roof height: 57"
Box: 231 cuft

Wheelbase of Civic: 106"
Track of Civic: 61"
Roof height: 56"
Box: 210 cuft

Wheelbase of i-Pace: 118"
Track of i-Pace: 65"
Roof height: 62"
Box: 275 cuft

The Model 3 is closer in size to a Civic than to an i-Pace. But nobody is going to know until both cars are out there. There are more Model 3's on the road than i-Paces, but neither is available for sale to ordinary consumers.

It's not quite that simple either. The Model X has a slightly shorter wheelbase than the iPace (117" vs 118") but is considerably larger in every other dimension i.e. track 67" vs 65", height 66" vs 62", overall length 198" vs 184". The third row seats in the X are more or less directly over the rear axle too, so there is cabin space well beyond the wheelbase. Luggage space in the X is way bigger than the iPace (2487 litres vs 1453 litres with seats folded), which gives you some idea of the comparative volume rearward of the front seats. The Model X is actually one of the biggest cars in its class. Bigger than a Volvo XC90, BMW X5, Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne andVW Touareg. The iPace is a full class size smaller, although that represents a bigger market share in Europe. The Model X is simply too big for many European buyers, but great if you need the extra space. Our kids love travelling in the X as it has so much room in the middle row with the bench fully rearward and plenty of luggage space with the rear row folded. Headroom is great too, only slightly restricted in the third row with the sloping roofline. The iPace is going to feel much smaller inside for sure.

Like the electek article said they should compare/compete with ICE instead of Tesla. However I understand if they are trying to compare with Tesla it’s logical to pick on the Model X 75/100 since they are both crossover SUV with similar acceleration. After all no one would an ad together that puts its own car in a disadvantage right? It doesn’t make sense to show a S75D or a XP100D beating the iPace.

Every single person who has ordered an ipace chose that car over a Tesla. These "not comparable" discussions are absurd.

Towing a uhaul trailer with a model X is also not something the vast majority of upscale buyers have any interest in doing.

The ipace format is closest to the model Y. That is smart positioning by Jaguar.

Reactions: McRat
It's not quite that simple either. The Model X has a slightly shorter wheelbase than the iPace (117" vs 118") but is considerably larger in every other dimension i.e. track 67" vs 65", height 66" vs 62", overall length 198" vs 184". The third row seats in the X are more or less directly over the rear axle too, so there is cabin space well beyond the wheelbase. Luggage space in the X is way bigger than the iPace (2487 litres vs 1453 litres with seats folded), which gives you some idea of the comparative volume rearward of the front seats. The Model X is actually one of the biggest cars in its class. Bigger than a Volvo XC90, BMW X5, Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne andVW Touareg. The iPace is a full class size smaller, although that represents a bigger market share in Europe. The Model X is simply too big for many European buyers, but great if you need the extra space. Our kids love travelling in the X as it has so much room in the middle row with the bench fully rearward and plenty of luggage space with the rear row folded. Headroom is great too, only slightly restricted in the third row with the sloping roofline. The iPace is going to feel much smaller inside for sure.

I was debating the theory that a Model 3 and i-Pace are identical sizes, not the Model X which is 800lb heavier and can seat 7 and tow nearly 5,000lb if the road is smooth and there are tons of superchargers.

I don't necessarily consider a Model X large either. Larger than crossover format i-Pace, sure. Not large for SUVs.
From a price and luxury perspective, Escalade ESV, Yukon Denali XL, and the Suburban would be it's competition. All tow over 8000 lb official, over 10,000lb in real life, seat 7 (least), 8 or 9 adults, and have significant dimensions.

This is what Americans consider large a SUV:

Wheelbase: 130"
Overall Length: 224.3"
Overall Width: 80.5"
Overall Height: 74.4"
Track: 68.7"

What's that 2 1/2 feet longer, a foot taller, 2 foot more wheelbase? Close to double the towing, and 23 mpg?

Inches of difference vs. feet of difference. Like a PT boat vs destroyer. It's comedy constantly hearing about how massive an MX is.
My last 'SUV' was an E-350. Seats 15 adults, tows 10,000lb or more, and you can nearly stand upright in it. To me, a 'Burb is tiny.

Some of my crazy fun memories of the E-350, "The Tank", was my daughter playing stewardess by walking down the aisle and taking orders for snacks and drinks for her team. And doing the Vomit Comit test. There was a road I could get the The Tank airborne, and the kids inside would float in the air for a second or two. Then the Nascar Experience. They would all buckle up, and I'd drift 360° at 45 mph in the pasture. Or taking 6-8 buddies, 5 dog kennels, decoys, shotguns, camping gear, and go pheasant/duck/goose hunting. You could sleep several adults in it in a pinch.

Last edited:
I'm curious. Wouldn't the E-350 qualify as a VAN instead of an SUV?

I was debating the theory that a Model 3 and i-Pace are identical sizes, not the Model X which is 800lb heavier and can seat 7 and tow nearly 5,000lb if the road is smooth and there are tons of superchargers.

I don't necessarily consider a Model X large either. Larger than crossover format i-Pace, sure. Not large for SUVs.
From a price and luxury perspective, Escalade ESV, Yukon Denali XL, and the Suburban would be it's competition. All tow over 8000 lb official, over 10,000lb in real life, seat 7 (least), 8 or 9 adults, and have significant dimensions.

This is what Americans consider large a SUV:

Wheelbase: 130"
Overall Length: 224.3"
Overall Width: 80.5"
Overall Height: 74.4"
Track: 68.7"

What's that 2 1/2 feet longer, a foot taller, 2 foot more wheelbase? Close to double the towing, and 23 mpg?

Inches of difference vs. feet of difference. Like a PT boat vs destroyer. It's comedy constantly hearing about how massive an MX is.
My last 'SUV' was an E-350. Seats 15 adults, tows 10,000lb or more, and you can nearly stand upright in it. To me, a 'Burb is tiny.

Some of my crazy fun memories of the E-350, "The Tank", was my daughter playing stewardess by walking down the aisle and taking orders for snacks and drinks for her team. And doing the Vomit Comit test. There was a road I could get the The Tank airborne, and the kids inside would float in the air for a second or two. Then the Nascar Experience. They would all buckle up, and I'd drift 360° at 45 mph in the pasture. Or taking 6-8 buddies, 5 dog kennels, decoys, shotguns, camping gear, and go pheasant/duck/goose hunting. You could sleep several adults in it in a pinch.

Reactions: spectrum
I'm curious. Wouldn't the E-350 qualify as a VAN instead of an SUV?

I used it as Swiss Army Knife. As an SUV, a cargo van, a people hauler, an off-road explorer, a tow rig.

When you pull benches, you can put 2 inside and haul a 15' long 2500lb object, you can seat 5 and put motorcycles inside, or seat 8 and put bicycles inside. Or seat 11 and put gear for sports teams inside. It can be loaded with a forklift, back or side.

The term SUV today means pretty much anything that is not a coupe or sedan. They have to split it up more.

EDIT - The point being when it's time to choose a vehicle based on size, you are looking for the right size for YOU. The Model X is not 1/2 way up the size scale. And the i-Pace is smaller. And the Model 3 is smaller.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: arubinst

I was just getting confused with other people comparing the iPace to Model X and suggesting it might even be more roomy inside. Also pointing out that cabin space can extend through the wheelbase in an EV, especially one with raised seating.

Every single person who has ordered an ipace chose that car over a Tesla. These "not comparable" discussions are absurd.

Towing a uhaul trailer with a model X is also not something the vast majority of upscale buyers have any interest in doing.

The ipace format is closest to the model Y. That is smart positioning by Jaguar.

Every single day? Probably not. Will an iPace driver make multi hundred mile drives every day? Probably not.

There's something to be said for incredible versatility and options.

The Model X can realistically be the ONLY CAR you own.. even for a family of 7.

iPace? It's only good for a second car at best.

I think most of the people who ordered the iPace would never have even considered a Tesla in the first place because they are so different in both style and size. Jaguar have targeted more conservative buyers who wanted something a bit more traditional looking than a Tesla, especially the interior. It's probably a bigger market to be honest, especially in Europe with the smaller dimensions.

Likewise many people choosing a Model X (like myself) would consider the iPace too small to be directly comparable. There's no way I would swap to an iPace because we need the extra luggage space and then of course there's the Superchargers for longer trips. But for someone looking for a smaller CUV, there is literally nothing else in the market to compete against the iPace right now.

Bottom line is that sales of either Tesla or Jaguar EVs are unlikely to be significantly affected by the competition. If anything the increased awareness of premium EVs will probably help them both sell against ICE equivalents.

I think most of the people who ordered the iPace would never have even considered a Tesla in the first place because they are so different in both style and size. Jaguar have targeted more conservative buyers who wanted something a bit more traditional looking than a Tesla, especially the interior. It's probably a bigger market to be honest, especially in Europe with the smaller dimensions.

Likewise many people choosing a Model X (like myself) would consider the iPace too small to be directly comparable. There's no way I would swap to an iPace because we need the extra luggage space and then of course there's the Superchargers for longer trips. But for someone looking for a smaller CUV, there is literally nothing else in the market to compete against the iPace right now.

Bottom line is that sales of either Tesla or Jaguar EVs are unlikely to be significantly affected by the competition. If anything the increased awareness of premium EVs will probably help them both sell against ICE equivalents.

A picture is worth a 1000 words, there's 3k:

Jaguar-IPace-07-768x512.jpg
jag2.jpg
jaguaripaceetrophy5-resize-1024x682.jpg

Cars should be fun. The Jaguar looks like fun. Jaguar DNA + Land Rover DNA.

A picture is worth a 1000 words, there's 3k:

View attachment 307888 View attachment 307889 View attachment 307890

Cars should be fun. The Jaguar looks like fun. Jaguar DNA + Land Rover DNA.

But are you seriously going to do any of that driving in an iPace? I bought a Model X to haul all our mountain bikes, gear and 2 kids in comfort and style. Not to smash it about over rocks, rivers and race tracks! The X is pretty capable of light offload use if necessary and amazing in the snow on winter tyres.

I'm kind of in an odd group regarding my Tesla. I started with a first-day Model 3 reservation. Then I started seriously considering a Model S until y tested a Model X.

Man... that thing just drove me crazy! It is soooooo cool! The windshield is like nothing I had every experienced while driving. And I'm in love with the doors and the space with the 6 seats configuration.

Oh... by the way, I say my case is odd because I'm divorced, I have no kids, I live alone and in Switzerland, where space is actually a luxury! And I only travel once or twice a year with my car (I get the feeling that's about to change...)

So it would make much more sense for a person like me to choose a car like the i-Pace. But I just find it so "common" (nothing wrong with that)... The MX is freaking awesome!

I'm kind of in an odd group regarding my Tesla. I started with a first-day Model 3 reservation. Then I started seriously considering a Model S until y tested a Model X.

Man... that thing just drove me crazy! It is soooooo cool! The windshield is like nothing I had every experienced while driving. And I'm in love with the doors and the space with the 6 seats configuration.

Oh... by the way, I say my case is odd because I'm divorced, I have no kids, I live alone and in Switzerland, where space is actually a luxury! And I only travel once or twice a year with my car (I get the feeling that's about to change...)

So it would make much more sense for a person like me to choose a car like the i-Pace. But I just find it so "common" (nothing wrong with that)... The MX is freaking awesome!

Although we do need the luggage space of the X on occasion, I still find it an amazing drive when alone or just dropping the kids off at school. The interior ambience of the X is amazing for sure with the panoramic windscreen, minimalist design and digital displays. It's more like driving a helicopter than a car! It handles very well for a big beast too, much like a Porsche Cayenne rather than a softer Range Rover. It's really quite a versatile package. The iPace interior looks pretty conventional and boring to me in comparison. I'm sure the handling will be even sharper as it should be in a smaller, lighter car. But the press are already starting to criticise its ride quality even on air suspension. Not that the X is a magic carpet ride either!

Reactions: arubinst
But are you seriously going to do any of that driving in an iPace? I bought a Model X to haul all our mountain bikes, gear and 2 kids in comfort and style. Not to smash it about over rocks, rivers and race tracks! The X is pretty capable of light offload use if necessary and amazing in the snow on winter tyres.

Yes. :D

It's not a collector's item. It's a toy. Face it. Most folk really only need a Corolla. We buy other stuff for fun.

I even raced pickup trucks, not just sports cars, dragsters, motorcycles, sedans, coupes, from 246lb to 8,000lb. Ever been 200mph in a 7100lb truck? It fishtails from the pressure on the nose from 120 to 175, then it straightens out for some reason. On some terrain (dirt) it vibrates so rapidly you start to get tunnel vision.

The various snow features on the i-Pace are very extensive. It was a major focus. I will be stunned if an X is as ice worthy. Note, the EV400 has 18" wheels as an option as well as a spare tire option.

Last edited:
... But the press are already starting to criticise its ride quality even on air suspension. ...

It makes me wonder if they programmed the shock absorbers. You customize the dampening, steering weight, and accelerator response to your taste. If they had it set for track use, and didn't change it, it would be stiffer. And I saw a lot of test cars on 22" wheels. Ughh...

Yes. :D

It's not a collector's item. It's a toy. Face it. Most folk really only need a Corolla. We buy other stuff for fun.

I even raced pickup trucks, not just sports cars, dragsters, motorcycles, sedans, coupes, from 246lb to 8,000lb. Ever been 200mph in a 7100lb truck? It fishtails from the pressure on the nose from 120 to 175, then it straightens out for some reason. On some terrain (dirt) it vibrates so rapidly you start to get tunnel vision.

The various snow features on the i-Pace are very extensive. It was a major focus. I will be stunned if an X is as ice worthy. Note, the EV400 has 18" wheels as an option as well as a spare tire option.

The X is very good on snow with proper winter tyres, better than almost anything else on the road due to the electric AWD. The iPace will have the same inherent advantages of course. Then it all comes down to tyre choice.

It makes me wonder if they programmed the shock absorbers. You customize the dampening, steering weight, and accelerator response to your taste. If they had it set for track use, and didn't change it, it would be stiffer. And I saw a lot of test cars on 22" wheels. Ughh...

There may be some scope to fine tune the damping, but it's still a heavy tall car so needs pretty stiff springing to support that mass and provide decent handling. Same goes for the Model X and it does show in the ride quality, especially on 22" wheels. It will be interesting to see how the iPace compares. If it is too track focused then it might not be a good compromise for our local potholed country roads. We'll find out soon enough once demo cars are available.

Off roading if you care about that. Also better track performance, but there are much better choices for a track day car than an electric CUV!

Anything else like

*Storage
*Performance
*Distance Driving
*Seating
*Driving Assistance

I think that all those would be more helpful than track performance for 99.9999 percent of the population. :)

I think the I-PACE is overpriced.
i-Pace is basically a taller version of Model 3, and it cost 50k more.

And give's up so many things that are exclusive to Tesla like charging network and autonomy.

Jaguar somehow rigged a race so that a Honda Civic is cheaper and faster than a Honda Odyssey and somehow we have a competition on our hands. :D