Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting and also ending the iPace "comparison".

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Full disclosure: I have friends and family that work for Jaguar..

However I’ve ordered a Model S 75D. I do actually work in an area with great public charger coverage (Milton Keynes) too .. so this was becoming a close run thing. Now I haven’t yet driven the iPace though by all accounts, it’s a cracking thing to point down British roads. I like the Formula-e marketing, I like the brand.. yeah this was difficult!

I’ve put my choice of Tesla to three factors:
1. I love the way it drives
2. Free Supercharger
3. I can actually buy the Tesla now

The MS is a fantastic drive especially out in the sticks where I live. The supercharging also helps balance the upfront cost - I’ve been getting through £300/month on fossil-juice these days.

There’ll be loads of i-Paces around here to compare with- the coming months will be fun .
one other + for the jaguar is that it doesn't overheat when pushed on the track...

aside from the model 3 the S & X both overheat in their current form. that being said, if the new iteration of the S & X have motors and batteries like the Model 3 this problem will go away and be a HUGE game changer which will keep the cars relevant and the range will increase like crazy.

one other + for the jaguar is that it doesn't overheat when pushed on the track...

aside from the model 3 the S & X both overheat in their current form. that being said, if the new iteration of the S & X have motors and batteries like the Model 3 this problem will go away and be a HUGE game changer which will keep the cars relevant and the range will increase like crazy.

I'm not sure the dual motor or even the single motor Model 3 is immune from overheating. AFAIK, the only guy who tracked one seriously, had to pedal the car after a few laps since the brakes started to overheat. Could it run 20 minutes aggressively? We do not know. But it should be able to run the 'Ring in RWD format. AWD is using an induction motor so all bets are off.

The peak C discharge rate in the i-Pace is higher, but the PM motors are smaller, and the speed limiter is lower at 125mph.

Next year's REFUEL event should be interesting. When I get my i-Pace, I'll start prepping for it.

I'm not sure the dual motor or even the single motor Model 3 is immune from overheating. AFAIK, the only guy who tracked one seriously, had to pedal the car after a few laps since the brakes started to overheat. Could it run 20 minutes aggressively? We do not know. But it should be able to run the 'Ring in RWD format. AWD is using an induction motor so all bets are off.
yep, the brakes faded cuz they are crap, but the car still performed admirably without reducing power, i'd like to see how it would have run with the brembo's that we have on our cars.

as for the dual motor, elon has stated that it will out handle the bmw m3 on track...we'll wait and see! :)

yep, the brakes faded cuz they are crap, but the car still performed admirably without reducing power, i'd like to see how it would have run with the brembo's that we have on our cars.

as for the dual motor, elon has stated that it will out handle the bmw m3 on track...we'll wait and see! :)

The problem being cooling. The induction needs more, and the brakes will have be a little bigger for the addition in weight.
You can drive MS/X/3 around a track until it runs out of juice. The question is, can you drive at its limits until it completes a 20 minute session.

The problem being cooling. The induction needs more, and the brakes will have be a little bigger for the addition in weight.
You can drive MS/X/3 around a track until it runs out of juice. The question is, can you drive at its limits until it completes a 20 minute session.
i agree, but i believe the model 3 at laguna seca was being driven at it's limit and never had reduced power due to a hot battery pack or software reducing performance.

when i do a top speed run in my car it sucks out 75 miles of range and you can smell the arcing from the battery ("electronics smell"), where as the model 3 ran with other cars until the brake pads disappeared and the driver started using regen: Tesla Model 3 performance put to the test on Laguna Seca raceway

That's great, but 99.99% of these cars are going nowhere near a track. I wouldn't even consider tracking in a bog standard Model 3, but the performance version could make an interesting track day car if it performs better than an M3. Neither Model S or Model X are really suitable track cars either. Just not their remit.

The Model X and the Jaguar i-Pace side by side :)

Something happened to the picture. Don't know why. But here it is again. Very similar in size!

99CE04FF-14E3-43C5-AC5D-1F0B4A15F40D.JPG

That's great, but 99.99% of these cars are going nowhere near a track. I wouldn't even consider tracking in a bog standard Model 3, but the performance version could make an interesting track day car if it performs better than an M3. Neither Model S or Model X are really suitable track cars either. Just not their remit.
i agree, but a cooler pack means longer range as well when traveling at 75mph on a highway for a few hours...it would be in Tesla's best interest to fix any overheat issues.

also, i'm being realistic and open-minded. :D My X is far from the best car i've owned, but it is the best driving experience and I can't wait to see what else comes to the table from Tesla. Already the newer X's are much better put together, the next step is to make the S and the X bigger cars, or at least designed more ergonomically like the 3 which is easier to ingress/egress than an S. as for the X i wish my 3rd row/storage area was bigger and more suited for taller people. my thought is that a 2-3" longer car would fix a lot of complaints i have and allow for a much larger battery too.

the fact that the Jaguar looks to be similar in size to the X but only has 5 seats makes me think that it's going to have a way better second row experience and possibly more trunk space? who knows, i'm signed up to drive one as soon as it hits the local dealers lot, same with the Mission-E, Mercedes EQC & Audi E-tron, all beautiful Electric cars. :D

the race is on, and it's good!

Even with overheating motors at the track, the question is if the i-Pace could keep up with say an X100D. The Teslas have significantly more power at high speed and 30 mph higher top speed.

But yeah, as others say, these aren't exactly track cars.

Even with overheating motors at the track, the question is if the i-Pace could keep up with say an X100D. The Teslas have significantly more power at high speed and 30 mph higher top speed.

But yeah, as others say, these aren't exactly track cars.

You win in the corners. You catch up in the straights. The cornering speed, brakes, and how quick you can get on throttle after the apex are more important than the few seconds you are at top speed each lap.

And yes, they are 'fun day' cars on a road course or autocross. A Subaru BRZ with it's anemic motor is pretty fast around a track.

i agree, but a cooler pack means longer range as well when traveling at 75mph on a highway for a few hours...it would be in Tesla's best interest to fix any overheat issues.

also, i'm being realistic and open-minded. :D My X is far from the best car i've owned, but it is the best driving experience and I can't wait to see what else comes to the table from Tesla. Already the newer X's are much better put together, the next step is to make the S and the X bigger cars, or at least designed more ergonomically like the 3 which is easier to ingress/egress than an S. as for the X i wish my 3rd row/storage area was bigger and more suited for taller people. my thought is that a 2-3" longer car would fix a lot of complaints i have and allow for a much larger battery too.

the fact that the Jaguar looks to be similar in size to the X but only has 5 seats makes me think that it's going to have a way better second row experience and possibly more trunk space? who knows, i'm signed up to drive one as soon as it hits the local dealers lot, same with the Mission-E, Mercedes EQC & Audi E-tron, all beautiful Electric cars. :D

the race is on, and it's good!

From what I've seen from photos and the quoted spec, the iPace looks to be considerably smaller inside for both people and luggage. I think even the S has more luggage capacity. For UK roads the X is really about as big as you would want to go. It's even wider than a Range Rover. I know there are much bigger cars in the US!

From what I've seen from photos and the quoted spec, the iPace looks to be considerably smaller inside for both people and luggage. I think even the S has more luggage capacity. For UK roads the X is really about as big as you would want to go. It's even wider than a Range Rover. I know there are much bigger cars in the US!
yep uk roads when i drove to Chippenham were a joke, lol! come around a corner with high hedges on each side and there's somebody on horseback. haha.

the model x is definitely one of the smallest for interior room in the U.S. compared to the Chevy Tahoe/Suburban, GMC Yukon/Yukon XL, Cadillac Escalade, Ford Expedition & Lincoln Navigator, Toyota Sequoia for luxury and size.

the X is more comparable to a Audi Q7, Lexus GX, Mercedes GLS, etc...

There is video about the skateboard and body. They shortened the hood, but stretched the wheelbase about 5". This makes the interior longer. It's a little narrower due to lack of trans tunnel. Since there is no trans tunnel, exhaust clearance, and a stretch wheelbase, the room is said to be very good. It has a Tardis thingy going like the Bolt and other Cab Forward designs. We will see. Lots of reviews out there. Go to Top Gear, theirs is more complete than most.

The 'boot' is 25.x cuft with a 0.9 cuft froot.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler