Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Starting and also ending the iPace "comparison".

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I climb in and out of a Model S, especially the back seat, clumsy would be the right adjective. The headroom is no good for a large car, especially for an adult in the back seat, which doesn't even recline like other cars in it's price range. Nor did they bother even putting in grab bars. WTF? You sort of duck and roll to escape like you would if the car was on fire. :D

Regardless, the Jag EV is not a sportscar, or a "large" sedan. It's a full foot shorter than an MS, but with a longer wheelbase. There is not a convertible option, nor does it have a long V8 sized hood like the F-Type or Model S. This is why the i-Pace can't store luggage in the nose, because there was never room for a gas engine. It's not an F-Pace that was repurposed. The whole cabin and chassis are different.

This video shows how claustrophobic the i-Pace is, FF to 2:00 to get a look at the head room:

Yes, and head room was a mistake by Tesla for the China market. But I think most western Model S buyers don't care much about rear head room. Jaguar is smart in how they positioned the iPace. It is strong in areas where Tesla is weak or non-existent. That doesn't make it a better car, but it does make it a vehicle some people will prefer.

As I said early the iPace is positioned against the model Y, which is three years away. Chevy should have done a better job styling the Bolt so that it looked like a model Y alternative instead of an odd little EV.

Yes, and head room was a mistake by Tesla for the China market. But I think most western Model S buyers don't care much about rear head room. Jaguar is smart in how they positioned the iPace. It is strong in areas where Tesla is weak or non-existent. That doesn't make it a better car, but it does make it a vehicle some people will prefer.

As I said early the iPace is positioned against the model Y, which is three years away. Chevy should have done a better job styling the Bolt so that it looked like a model Y alternative instead of an odd little EV.

The iPace is going to be built in such low volumes as to make no difference what it is in competition with. Demand will outstrip supply by a huge margin, especially in the next couple of years. It seems to me like they've positioned it below their own F-Pace in size and decided not to compete directly against any of the existing Tesla models. It's certainly a very popular size bracket across Europe, where the bigger Teslas are seen as borderline too big/wide for many people. Even a full sized Range Rover is narrower than a Model X!

No ipace to sit in here, so I sat in a Velar instead, which is similar in many ways, from the door handles to the interior vibe. I found it a far more pleasant place than the one-step-above-a-VW vibe of a loaded P100D. Not as nice as a Cayenne, but many thousands cheaper for similar features, plus being an EV. Tesla interiors just aren't up to par for $83k, let alone 154k. The button free UI is a dystopian, precog future idea, not a good one. I still may get an X, putting up with the flaws, but the flaws glare angrily.

The button free UI is a dystopian, precog future idea, not a good one. I still may get an X, putting up with the flaws, but the flaws glare angrily.

Funny how I started off with similar concerns - then after spending less than a month in my dystopian, precog future idea MS - I simply cannot abide the traditional button infested, cluttered, pointlessly small map display interiors of other vehicles which now seem like relics from a bygone age.

Sometimes it is worth taking a step a little further outside one's comfort zone than normal

No ipace to sit in here, so I sat in a Velar instead, which is similar in many ways, from the door handles to the interior vibe. I found it a far more pleasant place than the one-step-above-a-VW vibe of a loaded P100D. Not as nice as a Cayenne, but many thousands cheaper for similar features, plus being an EV. Tesla interiors just aren't up to par for $83k, let alone 154k. The button free UI is a dystopian, precog future idea, not a good one. I still may get an X, putting up with the flaws, but the flaws glare angrily.
Blackberry also thought that buttons were important :rolleyes:

The whole cabin ambience was underwhelming and too old-fashioned for my taste.

Sums up my feelings of the iPace, despite the motoring press making it sound like the only EV on the market it really does feel like combustion car thats been made to accomdate the EV drivetrain, a bit like the Leaf.

Jaguar will sell plenty, which isnt a bad thing, but a decent spec iPace costs the same as our 6 seater 75D X. You have to really love the Jaguar badge to go for an iPace instead of a X.

Funny how I started off with similar concerns - then after spending less than a month in my dystopian, precog future idea MS - I simply cannot abide the traditional button infested, cluttered, pointlessly small map display interiors of other vehicles which now seem like relics from a bygone age.

Sometimes it is worth taking a step a little further outside one's comfort zone than normal

I use my phone for maps because Waze, though the screen on the truck is bigger. I'd rather have the HUD of the ipace than the look right down display of the Tesla. Carplay would be nice.

Blackberry also thought that buttons were important :rolleyes:

Yeah, I still text slower and with less accuracy on a touchscreen than I did on my old Samsung with a physical keyboard. Sometimes the market moves to style over substance. The only thing worse than a button instead of a knob for volume control is touch screen controls. I'm not alone in this belief. I read it constantly in the automotive press.

If your not happy with the interior of a X than your in for a shock if you think the iPace will deliver a more special feeling. Its a Model 3 competitor that happens to cost as much as a S/X.

Special? I don't care about special. I want nice. The Velar is nice. The X is worse than a 2007 BMW.

I test drove an X when they first came out. I keep getting close to buying one, and then the awful interior scares me away. It's like how I don't fit in a Miata.

I use my phone for maps because Waze, though the screen on the truck is bigger. I'd rather have the HUD of the ipace than the look right down display of the Tesla. Carplay would be nice.

On a Tesla you can put Waze straight up on the web browser. I believe it doesn't actually use the Waze App but there is a website you can use instead. I haven't used it myself so don't know if it's useful or not.

I don't know how high you sit, but the Tesla dash display is right in front of me and I don't have to consciously look down to see it as it's already in my field of vision. I think HUDs are a gimmick in cars with a decent dash display. Sounds cool but doesn't actually achieve anything of significance while driving. Would I really want the Tesla dash info overlaid onto the windscreen? No! It's fine where it is.

But you hate Tesla interiors so what are you doing here anyway? The iPace interior is about as different as you could get from the X interior and the media are literally fornicating over it. So it must surely be a no-brainer for you because everything they write is totally unbiased? I sat in the iPace and thought it was a bit average at best, but then Jaguar are not advertising in our house so I can say what I think. I expect it drives very well.... much like a Tesla as it has all the inherent advantages of a powerful EV drivetrain.

Just a viewpoint on the heads up display. I have a pretty long torso, for me, there is always a fight between steering wheel position and seeing the main dash display. So a heads up display is very helpful having that information in the field of view. One of the reasons I thought the M3 implementation of center screen is great.

On a Tesla you can put Waze straight up on the web browser. I believe it doesn't actually use the Waze App but there is a website you can use instead. I haven't used it myself so don't know if it's useful or not.

I don't know how high you sit, but the Tesla dash display is right in front of me and I don't have to consciously look down to see it as it's already in my field of vision. I think HUDs are a gimmick in cars with a decent dash display. Sounds cool but doesn't actually achieve anything of significance while driving. Would I really want the Tesla dash info overlaid onto the windscreen? No! It's fine where it is.

But you hate Tesla interiors so what are you doing here anyway? The iPace interior is about as different as you could get from the X interior and the media are literally fornicating over it. So it must surely be a no-brainer for you because everything they write is totally unbiased? I sat in the iPace and thought it was a bit average at best, but then Jaguar are not advertising in our house so I can say what I think. I expect it drives very well.... much like a Tesla as it has all the inherent advantages of a powerful EV drivetrain.

I don't think the Waze website is as useful as the app, but I've only been there a couple of times. I try to sit upright and not round my shoulders. I also have a long torso and want the steering wheel low so I can have my hands low as to not stress my upper back. A HUD helps with seeing the display then, an issue most cars have. Having a center display like the 3 is too far off to the side. I had that with our old xA and disliked it immensely.

As for why I'm here, there's a lot I like about the X. Also maybe enough whining will make Tesla get their crap together and make a fine interior. They did hire that Volvo guy, but I haven't seen anything come from that hire.

Also I have Powerwalls now.

IPace seems pretty nice. Looks like it has been geared to win the 0-60 race or something, because the 100D walks away comfortably from a roll...I think an uncorked 75D would likely perform comparably without the high price.

But overall, IPace is the only serious Tesla competition so far imo.

I sat in an I-PACE the other day. I like it. Love the exterior, interior is cool, too. It feels quite cramped compared to an X, but quality wise it feels a step above Tesla. (Time will tell.) My reasons for choosing an X over the Jaguar: Supercharging (free and faster), Enhanced auto-pilot (I-PACE stops steering after 30-45 seconds), 6 ROOMY seats, 3 times the towing capacity and OTA updates. Yes, Jaguar says they support OTA updates, but of what? The entertainment module, the whole car? Can they update the firmware of the brakes OTA? :) Tesla has been doing this reliably for 6+ years, this is a first for Jaguar.

I do wish for a HUD, though...

Looks like it has been geared to win the 0-60 race or something, because the 100D walks away comfortably from a roll...

An article from Carwow - that definitive motoring journal ...

- the guy in the 100D has a r/t measured in seconds and not fractions either.
I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't even in Sport mode as it just looked wrong off the line.

So, comparable performance, which is just fine and what Jag needed to do, but I'll wait for a proper independent test on a strip or at least properly timed runs before I call it.

As for braking, again a highly unscientific comparison. I'm happy with saying they're all good enough.

Bottom line, buyers will need to be choosing on other criteria as there is not enough to matter to choose between the 100D and iPace on straight line performance, and not forgetting the Tesla is a significantly larger car.

Bottom line, buyers will need to be choosing on other criteria as there is not enough to matter to choose between the 100D and iPace on straight line performance, and not forgetting the Tesla is a significantly larger car.

An iPace would not be any individuals or families only car. It would be a 2nd toy car that doesn't travel often beyond half of its rated range.

Some real thin skin here. I've read many articles about long trips in Teslas. It sounds like pure hell. No thanks. I'll take an ICE car for that. By your measure, Teslas are toy cars too.

No question an ICE will always be the most convenienent when it comes to refueling stops.

I have much less driving fatigue utilizing autopilot, greater fun and an extra sense of safety in a Tesla that makes it worth it over ICE.

Tesla’s vs any other EV for long range driving is not even remotely a contest. An sadomasochistic iPace driver can show they can make it to New York from San Francisco but it would take them a month.

They would need to do their own plotting and navigation to find all the chargers on the path.

They would hope that the limited stalls are not occupied and not offline.

They would need to register for accounts and or figure out payment methods for all the disparate charging providers out there.

In a Tesla I just press a button and say “navigate to New York”.

No thinking or worry involved - I just go where I am told.

Model X seats up to 7, and can tow a 747, cross country.

Not that one would select a Model X to do this ON A REGULAR BASIS but the fact that you have the option makes it feasible as the only car you own.

Reading about a Tesla and owning one is completely different from the published narratives.

While not owning an iPace I know already it has less than half the storage of the X, seats less and crucially - have experience with how long distance vehicle charging works - relegating the iPace to secondary toy car status.

The X has a lot of gimmicks and appears pricer than the iPace if you looked at raw money.

If that is the case, the Model S is a way better car than the iPace. It seats more (with options) and has more storage despite not calling itself an SUV.

Some real thin skin here. I've read many articles about long trips in Teslas. It sounds like pure hell. No thanks. I'll take an ICE car for that. By your measure, Teslas are toy cars too.

That's more a personal choice. I've read plenty of long trip reports in Teslas that sounded great. Haven't done any long haul in ours yet, but looking forward to a relaxing journey. Not sure I'd be up for a long haul in an iPace though, having to rely on UK public chargers - that does sound quite painful from what I've read and seen. It will probably get better in time, but Tesla superchargers are a great asset today.

• Informative
Reactions: mal_tsla
An article from Carwow - that definitive motoring journal ...

- the guy in the 100D has a r/t measured in seconds and not fractions either.
I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't even in Sport mode as it just looked wrong off the line.

So, comparable performance, which is just fine and what Jag needed to do, but I'll wait for a proper independent test on a strip or at least properly timed runs before I call it.

As for braking, again a highly unscientific comparison. I'm happy with saying they're all good enough.

I agree, not the best testing procedure ever! But I'm happy to concede that the iPace is a fraction quicker to 60 mph than an X 100D (4.5 vs 4.7 sec as claimed by the respective manufacturers). They are both quick enough in the real world and will mince most ICE cars around The Tesla has a considerably higher max speed (155 vs 124 mph) so I expect the iPace is geared for optimum low speed acceleration and that's probably not a bad compromise for most people. How that gearing will impact efficiency at higher speed is debatable?

Bottom line for me is that the iPace lacks the luggage space we need, while the X is just about the perfect size for us. 0.2 sec quicker 0-60 is neither here nor there.

Reactions: electracity