Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stat apps and services

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good day guys,

There is probably a ton of these on the forums already, sorry.

I'm looking at some of the third-party apps and services for tracking data. (wish Tesla had it built in)

I'm worried about vampire drain, I keep hearing its high with these 3rd party services.

Security aside what do you guys think of these services.

I've looked at TeslaFi, Stats ios, Teslastics.

TeslaFi leaves a lot to be desired in style and look
Stats app is nice but always needs to be running in the background but has some nice extra features like siri shortcuts
Teslastics is what I'm currently testing, it has a very clean look still trying to get enough data in it to give it a good comparison.

It's hard to compare since they all need real-time data.

What do you guys think and your experience so far with them?

Thanks

https://teslastics.com/#/app/day

I have Stats, haven't tried the others. Stats works great, never had a drain problem; those that did, seemed to need a re-login to clear whatever issue it was. One of the many charts you get is your phantom drain average over time. It seems that the people who have Stats, have on average a drain rate of 0.3miles/hr, but it can range from zero to 1.4. The most common drain rate seems to be about 0.25miles/hr. I don't know ho that compares to what other apps show, but reading these forums, it seems fairly normal.

Note that these are the average rates, which probably skew higher, since we just came off Winter, when a lot of new Model 3 were added to the pool of users of Stats.

Attachments

• IMG_2246.jpg
    IMG_2246.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: tfraley
Let me know your experience with Teslastics and phantom drain. I've been wanting to use one of these apps but I don't want to increase my phantom drain.

Sofar Teslastics is very solid and clean. No phantom drain that I can see so far.
The one thing that gets me is there is no contact information or way to submit a support ticket
This is very troubling to me for a subscription-based service. I may cancel just because of this.

I have been using Stats. The author claims that avoiding phantom drain was his top priority, I can see my car sleeping regularly and even the widget needs me to tap it to wake the car up so Stats can get the latest data. I have not seen it waking it up regularly to get data but only on demand.

Have been using Stats for iOS since last year. No issues, for me anyway, with phantom drain. If I’m not mistaken the app doesn’t “wake” the car up when it’s sleeping to poll it, at least that’s been my experience. So, when the Tesla app indicates my car is sleeping, the stats app indicates the same. Great app for various stats from the car.

Correct me if I’m wrong, the stats app needs to be running on your phone on order to collect data. Correct ?

My biggest thing is making sure the app is running. In theory you can loss and or miss data because it’s not running.

Please correct me if I’m wrong on any of this.

Your Tesla does not keep logs locally so it’s not as if stats app is pulling those logs which is why it needs to be active and running to log events

Correct me if I’m wrong, the stats app needs to be running on your phone on order to collect data. Correct ?

My biggest thing is making sure the app is running. In theory you can loss and or miss data because it’s not running.

Please correct me if I’m wrong on any of this.

Your Tesla does not keep logs locally so it’s not as if stats app is pulling those logs which is why it needs to be active and running to log events

its just like a normal iPhone app, what do you mean by running in the background?

Phantom drain occurs when the car isn't allowed to fall asleep because a service is pinging it for data, but the car will also not fall asleep if you're running sentry mode, so I'm finding it not to be something i'm concerned about anymore personally.

I use Teslafi and love the amount of data that it gives (especially about charging costs and overall efficiency), and the fact that I can download it all if I'd like. Amazon echo or scheduled control of pre+heating and other features are worth it to me too. I signed up for a year for a slight discount, but I can see how the recurring cost might turn others off.

I can’t imagine ever giving some third party app an access token to my car. This is insanely insecure. The API is, as I understand it, completely devoid of access controls and not in any way intended or equipped to support giving controlled access to third parties. It’s not even public or officially documented, right? You’re literally handing some dude you’ve never met a copy of the keys to your car.

I can’t imagine ever giving some third party app an access token to my car. This is insanely insecure. The API is, as I understand it, completely devoid of access controls and not in any way intended or equipped to support giving controlled access to third parties. It’s not even public or officially documented, right? You’re literally handing some dude you’ve never met a copy of the keys to your car.

Watch and learn

When you run an app on an iPhone it runs and you need to have it running in the background in order for it to collect data.
ie you can not quit the app or else no data will be collected.

I always quit un-needed apps on my iPhone and do not leave apps running in the background.
Wait you telling me you close all apps after ya use them? Just wondering what’s the benefit of doing that am I missing something ?

Hey I've never noticed this in the app, where is this screen? I thought anytime I launched the app, the car wakes up, is this not correct?

I'm on Android if that makes any difference?

Thanks.
I’m not sure how the Tesla app behaves with android as I only have an iPhone. With the iPhone, if you swipe left you’ll get to your widget page and if you’ve added Tesla app as a widget then you’ll see some info on your car like charge and whether it’s sleeping or not.

• Informative
Reactions: iMoe