Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

State Farm increasing premiums on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are 50 states plus DC. (expand this by other countries, territories, provinces, etc.) Each state has its own laws and each company has its own loss experience. Each state is going to have its own product manager (each PM can have more than one state) that is responsible for profit in the state. State Farm could raise rates in one state because loss experience dictates that, while dropping them in another because they are looking for more market share. Auto insurance is something you can't compare across people - at all. You can compare rates for YOU across companies, but your rate has nothing to do with anyone else's rate.

You can’t compare absolute numbers but you can compare relative numbers. As well as quality of service etc.

Progressive has been consistently low for lots of folks.

I also think the insurance companies share a database for stats on vehicles.

Problem is even with rental coverage...it has a cap around 30 days. The parts wait I've heard for Model 3 is 3-4 months.

30 days is almost worthless, when insurance is involved. Just had my D's Audi A3 repaired for a bumper cover repair as it was dinged in a parking lot (hit and run). Car went in day after Thanksgiving and it was returned Feb 1: ~65 days. No issue on parts availability (most delivered w/in five business days), just awaiting the insurance adjuster(s) to estimate and then negotiate/argue with body shop.

30 days is almost worthless, when insurance is involved. Just had my D's Audi A3 repaired for a bumper cover repair as it was dinged in a parking lot (hit and run). Car went in day after Thanksgiving and it was returned Feb 1: ~65 days. No issue on parts availability (most delivered w/in five business days), just awaiting the insurance adjuster(s) to estimate and then negotiate/argue with body shop.

I wouldn’t even deal with insurance company on dinged bumper cover. You’ll lose more value on a CarMax report than you ever get from the insurance company. Needs to be over $5000 for me to consider calling insurance. Unless you plan to keep car forever.

Reactions: SageBrush
I wouldn’t even deal with insurance company on dinged bumper cover. You’ll lose more value on a CarMax report than you ever get from the insurance company. Needs to be over $5000 for me to consider calling insurance. Unless you plan to keep car forever.

total repair cost exceeded $12k (excl. car rental paid by ins.) ....and yes, I keep cars until they drop. (replaced an '89 volvo.)

Well I took it upon myself to contact the body shop support email with Tesla and explained my situation. They promised they would cover any rentals needed to cover the gap from insurance 30 days to actually getting the parts...so I really can't complain. Good on Tesla. Just seems a little hidden to get to that option?

You can’t compare absolute numbers but you can compare relative numbers. As well as quality of service etc. kind of, but intangibles are really really subjective.

Progressive has been consistently low for lots of folks.

I also think the insurance companies share a database for stats on vehicles. Some symbols (I.e. a Model 3 is a Model 3 is a Model 3), but we absolutely do not share loss variables, body shop deals, etc..

I have state farm and have had Model 3 for over a year. Been through one renewal, and the rate actually dropped a bit. I'm currently paying $356.86 / 6 mos.

For comparison, my 2014 S85 is at 575.82 / 6 mos. This is actually a massive drop from before. We got it used for less than what I paid for the Model 3, and initially they were charging me $720 / 6mo.

Geico wanted almost $1,500 every 6 months (over 1k of this was collision) for my SR+, compared to $400 every 6 months to insure my old car, I couldn't believe it! Switched over to Travelers who are charging me around $600 every 6 months for the same coverage, that seems reasonable.

Reactions: TX_M3P+
Insurance premiums are one thing, paying claims is another.

Well I took it upon myself to contact the body shop support email with Tesla and explained my situation. They promised they would cover any rentals needed to cover the gap from insurance 30 days to actually getting the parts...so I really can't complain. Good on Tesla. Just seems a little hidden to get to that option?

I have State Farm and got into a fender bender(clearly not drivable) Scary part was that Tesla Body Shop in Walnut clearly said they are backed up 30 days from when they can even take a look at the car estimate wise.

So let’s add another 40 days for parts and repairs.

So I can possibly reach out to Tesla Body Support for a Tesla Loaner for anything past 30 days?

Also what about insurance limits on parts versus what Tesla will charge? Insurance made it very clear that I’ll be on the hook for the difference. Not sure how I can address this.

I have Allstate. Policy for Model 3 went up about $100 for 6 month period. I have 2 other cars with them and the only increase was my Model 3. I asked why this happened and was told that it was an across the board increase because apparently for the past year they were not charging enough to insure the Model 3. As another member posted it seems as if it doesn’t matter how safe the car is. And they don’t seem to take into account the safety features of autopilot, FSD, and other accident avoidance features of the car. At the end of the day, even with the increase, Allstate is still the lowest priced policy for me at this point.

As another member posted it seems as if it doesn’t matter how safe the car is. And they don’t seem to take into account the safety features of autopilot, FSD, and other accident avoidance features of the car.

It really doesn’t matter. If Tesla’s could avoid 100% of (at fault) accidents, then rates would go down. Tesla Drivers still cause accidents - I don’t know, maybe say driving through a garage door, into another car and finally into the house because you stomped on the accelerator instead of the brake? Rates are based on each companies loss experience with similar drivers. Are Teslas safer? From a human injury perspective, yes (and humans can cost huge money to “fix”) but when even a minor accident $15,000 to fix, how far does your $1,000 premium go?

Autopilot can lead to some really bad driving habits, like taking your eyes off the road, ignoring warnings and driving into a gore point or a truck because you think things are covered. FSD doesn’t exist and the emergency braking is only to lessen the impact - it may save a life (which is the single most important thing), but still wrecks the car.