Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stated Range vs Real World

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's all true of course but to say "LR during the winter does 200+ miles easily" would be better to come with some qualification. It was easily on your trip and will be on most similar trips in similar conditions. There will be times when it may not be "easily".

Unless you go up a mountain and don’t come down the other side, I’d expect a LR to never struggle to hit 200 miles even at faster than motorway speed (within reason)

While it is an assumption, most main roads in the U.K. where you rack up the big mileage at high speeds are on lower lying ground.

But that’s specifically why I said ‘generally’ and also ‘use the onboard nav’ as you can’t account for everything, the onboard nav will stop you getting caught short as it knows what it’s doing.

Of course. The reason I pick up on these things is that we get many posts on the forum from people who have bought an EV and then feel that the range has been misrepresented. It's just that readers sometimes don't appreciate the full picture. I'm all for celebrating excellent range stats but it's worth adding a note of caution when posting about them. If you've spent much time on this forum you'll know what I mean!

Reactions: Buzzliteyear
Unless you go up a mountain and don’t come down the other side, I’d expect a LR to never struggle to hit 200 miles even at faster than motorway speed (within reason)
Agree with this, over the first 2 months of ownership and mixed driving (usually a few miles to 15 or so) my LR has averaged 270wh/m. Which would give me 250+ miles without trying too hard. Best I have seen so far was 215 wh/m on rolling hill A roads (Cotswolds) during a 50 mile journey mainly following other cars using basic AP.

The P must be much less efficient in how it manages its power as surely the 20 inch wheels shouldn’t make a massive difference…?

Sign up for the free Teslafi trial and I'm pretty sure someone will have a look at you data and tell you what is going on. Although it sounds like you're doing a lot of short journeys, it's best to check if you have concerns.
@VanillaAir_UK are Teslafi still doing the longer trial with a referral code?
Yeh, using that Tessie on free trial and gives similar kind of useful data. Looked again there just now, 11kwh over 33mi, averaged 344 wh/mi

Yeh, using that Tessie on free trial and gives similar kind of useful data. Looked again there just now, 11kwh over 33mi, averaged 344 wh/mi
ok so that trip doesn't look too bad. Keep an eye on other trips and see if any look particularly bad. If they are then check temp, max power, elevation, etc to see if those factors can explain the difference.

The Energy app is a great way of seeing how you are driving in real time, especially for long trips. Lots of YouTube vids on this, here's one:

ok so that trip doesn't look too bad. Keep an eye on other trips and see if any look particularly bad. If they are then check temp, max power, elevation, etc to see if those factors can explain the difference.

The Energy app is a great way of seeing how you are driving in real time, especially for long trips. Lots of YouTube vids on this, here's one:
Thanks for the help

Reactions: init6
TeslaBjorn range results TB test results

New models at 120km/h (75mpg ish?)
LR - 262 miles (25c, dry)
RWD - 180 miles (-3c, wet)

That’s single trip 100-0%. RWD is worst case wet and cold. If milder and dry it should get 200 miles
My RWD (SR+) is doing 240 miles in Feb missed driving 100-0%. In line with TeslaB’s testing; very happy with it. But a few hard accelerations on a journey causes that to drop a lot!

Reactions: Mrklaw
Agree with this, over the first 2 months of ownership and mixed driving (usually a few miles to 15 or so) my LR has averaged 270wh/m. Which would give me 250+ miles without trying too hard. Best I have seen so far was 215 wh/m on rolling hill A roads (Cotswolds) during a 50 mile journey mainly following other cars using basic AP.

The P must be much less efficient in how it manages its power as surely the 20 inch wheels shouldn’t make a massive difference…?
My M3P has averaged 331 wh/ml since I got it in October. The wheels definitely make a difference (also the initial couple of days giving family and friends the launch experience) Lol.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Return trip (software upgrade during night
PXL_20220211_192441545.MP.jpg

It's not so much the 20 inch wheels that are a drag on range, it's the big performance disks behind the wheels. That's a lot of extra rotating mass.
They aren’t really that much bigger and the weight measurements I’ve seen show the two piece performance rotors are lighter than the standard ones. Just not enough of a saving to compensate for the extra weight of the wheels, especially the heavy Uberturbines.