Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Static interference on dash with microfiber cloth - fixed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got my car, wiping the top of the dash with a microfiber cloth caused the screen to go haywire and activate everything from the sunroof to seat warmers. A few others on the forum have seen it too, but it is not a universal problem. I told service about the issue but was just given the "use another cloth" answer.

On my most recent Ranger service to fix a door handle, I showed the tech the issue and he came back with a grounding wire and 30 minutes later it was fixed. The wire connects behind the horizontal metal strip across the dash, on the edge of the passenger side. Nice to see the techs go the extra mile when engineering just offers cleaning advice. Still hoping they build a design fix into the car so future owners don't run into this.

When I got my car, wiping the top of the dash with a microfiber cloth caused the screen to go haywire and activate everything from the sunroof to seat warmers. A few others on the forum have seen it too, but it is not a universal problem. I told service about the issue but was just given the "use another cloth" answer.

On my most recent Ranger service to fix a door handle, I showed the tech the issue and he came back with a grounding wire and 30 minutes later it was fixed. The wire connects behind the horizontal metal strip across the dash, on the edge of the passenger side. Nice to see the techs go the extra mile when engineering just offers cleaning advice. Still hoping they build a design fix into the car so future owners don't run into this.
Very interesting. Thanks for posting this. Hopefully I can get this taken care of too and my interior won't need to be so dusty since im not wiping it down as frequently due to this issue :)

I use a thick microfiber cloth all the time without any problem. I did have this problem when using a thin disposable cleaning wipe.
Are you talking about cleaning the touchscreen, or just the dash in general?

I think the OP had an issue with cleaning the dash having the side effect of giving the touchscreen fits.

For the microfiber cloth I use to clean the touchscreen, I need to fold it multiple times to not activate various hot regions on the display. Can't recall any issue of cleaning other parts of the dash causing touchscreen actions to fire.

Are you talking about cleaning the touchscreen, or just the dash in general?

I think the OP had an issue with cleaning the dash having the side effect of giving the touchscreen fits.

For the microfiber cloth I use to clean the touchscreen, I need to fold it multiple times to not activate various hot regions on the display. Can't recall any issue of cleaning other parts of the dash causing touchscreen actions to fire.
Mine "freaks out" whenever I use my microfiber towel on either the touchscreen or the top of the dash. I'll try to get video of it tomorrow since I'm overdue for a wipedown.

I just experienced this for the first time. I normally wipe down the top of the dash with a thick, fluffy microfiber towel and never had any issues. This evening I happen to use a thin yellow Costco cheapy microfiber cloth and it built up a massive static charge. Lots of discharge pops and haywire touchscreen gone mad. Definitely a towel issue.

I just experienced this for the first time. I normally wipe down the top of the dash with a thick, fluffy microfiber towel and never had any issues. This evening I happen to use a thin yellow Costco cheapy microfiber cloth and it built up a massive static charge. Lots of discharge pops and haywire touchscreen gone mad. Definitely a towel issue.
OK, Today, I will try with both a thin cloth (like the one I used last time) and premium one. Will try to get video of both.