Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stats or Teslafi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question about schedules in TeslaFi

If my car is plugged in a was charging and then got to 85% at lunch time. then i wanted this to start charge again to 95% at 3.30pm, in the schedules do i have to create a "Start Charge" schedule a min or so after a "Set my charge limit to 95%" schedule? Also would i also need a wake up schedule if its asleep before the change of the limit to 95%?

Question about schedules in TeslaFi

If my car is plugged in a was charging and then got to 85% at lunch time. then i wanted this to start charge again to 95% at 3.30pm, in the schedules do i have to create a "Start Charge" schedule a min or so after a "Set my charge limit to 95%" schedule? Also would i also need a wake up schedule if its asleep before the change of the limit to 95%?

I've needed neither of these doing this. I just use set charge limit for everything. It may be different if you'd expressly asked it to stop charging rather than it just getting to the limit.

Re waking up, sending an instruction like this will wake the car anyway, I'm pretty sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidmc
TeslaFi, Stats, Teslastics, others, all offer lots of information or present existing information in novel ways for the owner. You can probably not go wrong with any. However, this is not a casual choice because once you subscribe to one of them, you’re pretty much committed to that one for as long as you choose to use such a service. None of these has any way to convert and/or import older information from another service into theirs so changing a service during the life of your vehicle is pretty much a non-starter.

I chose TeslaFi when I got my Model 3 in July, 2018 and am very satisfied with it. That said, the other apps either didn’t exist then or I didn’t know about them. As above, I’m likely to stay with TeslaFi since my existing 14 months of data would be lost in converting to anything else.

As others have suggested, only you can determine what you value in one of the services, if anything. The free trials are nice but you’d have to try all of them simultaneously in order to capture all your car’s data. Do-able though. I would suggest going through all the information on each of the service’s websites/apps and try to eliminate those that either don’t have the features you want or the interface to those features. You can do that without the car. Then with a shortlist of say two services, go through a live trial of both when you get your vehicle and determine which better meets your specific needs. Dump the one you care less about.

New to all this. Why do we need teslafi again? Does it just track charging and efficiency? Never did this in an ICE car and wondered if this is necessary. Unless it is the wife's car for location tracking. Imagine tracking every petrol station i have been and the weather on the day i filled up.

New to all this. Why do we need teslafi again? Does it just track charging and efficiency? Never did this in an ICE car and wondered if this is necessary. Unless it is the wife's car for location tracking. Imagine tracking every petrol station i have been and the weather on the day i filled up.

It's perfect for tracking drives for business use.
I like the charge tracking too. if I'm charging at someone else's place I can see the exact KW consumed and pay them for the electricity.

The lifetime map is pretty cool too, shows the UK and outlined all the drives you've taken since you started tracking using the service.

I used an app called 'Road Trip' on my phone, to log every.. single.. fill-up in the last nine (NINE!) years for my ICE car. Stats ahoy! I believe, if all goes to plan.. I made my last entry, last week. #DullMan

I get home and plug in and if it's low it'll charge to 55% which should be more than enough for any unexpected need later in the day.

I like that bit :)

But if you stop at a Supercharger (during the day) aren't you still set at 50% charge limit? (because the earlier Schedule set it to that). Of course you can override that ... but I am not sure I would always remember, and Spouse using the car would not know about that requirement ...

TeslaFi doesn't have any sort of conditional logic for its schedules ... "Charge if < 50% until 50%" would be nice (and then that could be restricted to HOME / WORK locations, and wouldn't apply to Supercharger)

Worth asking James perhaps?

Why do we need teslafi again?

I posted some Pretty Pictures in a thread recently: Winter is coming (and the following message)

TeslaFi have info on a slightly non-obvious sub domain : about.teslafi.com

Never did this in an ICE car

I don't suppose many ICE cars transmit info back to HQ about whether the left rear seat heater is on, every minute of every day and night ... :) so this is probably an opportunity only available since Tesla started doing it (others may be mimicking it of course ...)

Unless it is the wife's car for location tracking

You can do "where is the car now" from the standard Tesla Phone APP. Makes having a mistress more of a challenge ...

do i have to create a "Start Charge" schedule a min or so after a "Set my charge limit to 95%" schedule? Also would i also need a wake up schedule if its asleep before the change of the limit to 95%?

For that I do:

Schedule #1 = Change Charge Limit (to 95%)
then #2 five minutes later (TeslaFi's max retry time ... just in case first attempts failed) Start Charge. Or Start Charge immediately after #1 and then add #3 Start Charge, 5 minutes later, - i.e. belt&braces.

If car was already (still) charging then #2 will be benign.

For example, I drop Charge Limit to 80% at start of my Off Peak. I let the car start the Off Peak charge (it will do that, regardless, if plugged in and at home. Benefit of this is that if network is down etc. the car will still, always, charge).

Then an hour before I leave in the morning I change the Charge Limit to 90% and start charging again (i.e. if it has completed 80% and stopped). benefit of this is to warm the battery before departure, to minimise loss of regen on winter mornings)

I put the Climate on 15 minutes before my normal departure time for work.

And all those are only if At Home, and Mon-Fri only.

TeslaFi Scheduler is very simple. I think it would benefit from having some more complex common use-cases - e.g. "Charge car to x% by XX:XX and start Climate X minutes before the end". To do that currently you need half a dozen tasks in the schedule

If all you want is scheduling there may be better (i.e. 3rd party) choices

Reactions: brkaus and davidmc
I like that bit :)

But if you stop at a Supercharger (during the day) aren't you still set at 50% charge limit? (because the earlier Schedule set it to that). Of course you can override that ... but I am not sure I would always remember, and Spouse using the car would not know about that requirement ...

TeslaFi doesn't have any sort of conditional logic for its schedules ... "Charge if < 50% until 50%" would be nice (and then that could be restricted to HOME / WORK locations, and wouldn't apply to Supercharger)

Worth asking James perhaps?

I posted some Pretty Pictures in a thread recently: Winter is coming (and the following message)

TeslaFi have info on a slightly non-obvious sub domain : about.teslafi.com

I don't suppose many ICE cars transmit info back to HQ about whether the left rear seat heater is on, every minute of every day and night ... :) so this is probably an opportunity only available since Tesla started doing it (others may be mimicking it of course ...)

You can do "where is the car now" from the standard Tesla Phone APP. Makes having a mistress more of a challenge ...

For that I do:

Schedule #1 = Change Charge Limit (to 95%)
then #2 five minutes later (TeslaFi's max retry time ... just in case first attempts failed) Start Charge. Or Start Charge immediately after #1 and then add #3 Start Charge, 5 minutes later, - i.e. belt&braces.

If car was already (still) charging then #2 will be benign.

For example, I drop Charge Limit to 80% at start of my Off Peak. I let the car start the Off Peak charge (it will do that, regardless, if plugged in and at home. Benefit of this is that if network is down etc. the car will still, always, charge).

Then an hour before I leave in the morning I change the Charge Limit to 90% and start charging again (i.e. if it has completed 80% and stopped). benefit of this is to warm the battery before departure, to minimise loss of regen on winter mornings)

I put the Climate on 15 minutes before my normal departure time for work.

And all those are only if At Home, and Mon-Fri only.

TeslaFi Scheduler is very simple. I think it would benefit from having some more complex common use-cases - e.g. "Charge car to x% by XX:XX and start Climate X minutes before the end". To do that currently you need half a dozen tasks in the schedule

If all you want is scheduling there may be better (i.e. 3rd party) choices

Aye. All fair points. If teslafi expanded to enable basic if statements one could, in just a couple of lines, have leaving home triggering a 80% charge limit always, and returning home triggering a return to the above schedule. But teslafi won't do stuff like that.

If management has car on a long journey I'll probably just disable the 55% schedule line til normal service resumes. The schedule I have set means range rarely drops much below 200 miles for her, so the situation just hasn't arisen yet. I left the car with her all week this week (500 miles in ICE van was DEAFENING) and she didn't plug it in.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Screenshot_20190920-184329_GridCarbon.jpg

Wind's just starting to pick up again so hopefully nighttime gCO2/kWh should reduce a bit. 200 isn't great.

Anyone use this app? It's called gridcarbon. It reports generation over the last 24 hours. And does anyone have anything better? A 24 hour forecast of the same would be much more useful.

Question for teslafi users: if the car's asleep and in a period when you tell teslafi to let it sleep, and you go for an impromptu drive - will teslafi record the minute-by-minute details of that drive?

In the normal sleep mode Teslafi will still poll it for basic data every minute, so teslafi will fairly quickly receive a data point that says it's driving, is my understanding. Decent chance it'll receive an awake one in the time between you walking up to the car and driving off.

However, I've had it miss a whole drive and I don't know why. The raw data looked to me just the same as normal.

For those with a passing knowledge of PHP, have a go at using the tesla api directly/yourself. I managed to get connected and retrieve my fleet of zero cars :) in a few minutes last night, it's really quite easy. I used this guide https://tesla-api.timdorr.com
I don't actually have a car yet but I had a go with the api's some else's. its easly enough to do single calls . The problem is if you want to log the data you need a machine running all the time so I used AWS lambda. its cloud based and serverless so you can set it to run every few minutes and log all the data and at that volume its completely free. Obviously you have to be a bit careful not to stop the car from sleeping.

• Funny
Reactions: Archer999uk
Question for teslafi users: if the car's asleep and in a period when you tell teslafi to let it sleep, and you go for an impromptu drive - will teslafi record the minute-by-minute details of that drive?
I had a think about this. Teslafi has a page about it as well .
The vehicles endpoint is not supposed to wake the car but has a "state" attribute that tells you if the car is online and if its online its awake. So you can tell its awake without waking it.
The problem seems to be if you keep pinging the "vehicle_date" endpoint then it will never go to sleep. So if its been not driven for a period of time you have to stop pinging the vehicle_data to give it a chance to go to sleep. Once its asleep you can keep pinging the vehicle endpoint and once it comes back online because someone gets in it then you can start pinging the vehicle_data again.
The problem seems to be if you stop calling vehicle_data to allow it to go to sleep. If someone starts driving it at that point BEFORE it actually goes to sleep then the app does not realise so does not know to start harvesting data again. So in theory you could miss a short drive or the start of a longer one.

So in theory you could miss a short drive or the start of a longer one.

I don't think that TeslaFi does a good job of "attributing" that data. It knows the Start/End time, and Lat / Long and SOC before/after ...

That can happen too if the car doesn't have internet signal for a couple of miles.

TeslaFi does flag the data entry with an asterisk to show that there is "data missing", but it would be cool if it interpolated it, where it could.

FYI: How (TeslaFi) sleeping functions (if you enabled the Sleep Mode) and why you may some drive info:
After parking Tesla will stay awake for 40 minutes. After parking your car at home (if you set it as home) it normally will stay awake for 2 hours. After waking up Tesla (i.e. by Tesla app or any app) will stay awake for 10 minutes if you not start using it. This are the by Tesla implemented minimum times which cannot be minimised by TeslaFi or any other app but only can be worsened by any app you use. The times may of course be changed if Tesla likes to do so via updates. Those times I mentioned are valid for my Tesla Model 3 since the time I bought it in march 2019 and the times never changed.
As long as TeslaFi keeps polling the API every minute ( default setting) Tesla will stay awake. Any other app you use may keep it awake as well. So everybody needs to stop polling for at least > 10 minutes before Tesla might go asleep. The default TeslaFi sleeping cycle setting is 15 minutes, I did set it to 12 minutes. If it goes asleep TeslaFi reads the Tesla connection state which changes from "online" into "asleep" or "offline". Then TeslaFi will keep quiet and only observe the connection status. If that changes back to "online", it will start polling again. The connection status can be read without waking up the car. In case of the 40 minutes or the 2 hours parking times, TeslaFi will restart after 15 (or 12) minutes a second try to see if the car is already asleep or not and so jump in about 3 efforts to reach the 40 minutes parking periode or several more efforts more to reach the 2 hours home parking time. Every time it restarts a new sleeping cycle it actually first polls the "shift" status and can see if the car is driving and so the maximum time that it may will miss any "drives" or part of a drive is the 15 (or 12) minutes try to sleep interval. Once it is "asleep" it will not miss any drives since it instantly (except of the 1 minute polling interval itself) will notice the change of the connection status and start polling. If you know TeslaFi is tryïng to let the car go asleep and you want to start a drive in that time while you don't want to miss a possible maximum 15 (or 12) minutes of your drive you always can manually force TeslaFi to "wake up" and start polling.

Some people may use the 30 minutes Idle time (default TeslaFi setting) before starting the sleep cycle. I found this not very appropriate since it only extends all sleeping efforts and it still doesn't make sure that you don't miss a part of any drive. It only postpones the chance that you miss a part of a drive. So I did set this Idle time to 1 minute which is the minimum possible, so it will always sleep as soon as possible.

Remember: if you don't enable the Sleep Mode your Tesla will never sleep and has a hughes drain using any logging app.

Reviving this old thread.

I’ve now used the Stats app for 3 months or so. Nice enough iOS interface and Apple Watch complication. But it continually fails to record any of the home charging sessions I do via my Andersen A2 charger. Which renders many of the charging / cost graphs pretty meaningless. For me it only seems to record Tesla supercharger sessions. I’ve communicated with the app developer who suggested a few workarounds but to no avail. Anyone else had similar issues? I’m about to delete and write off the £20.