Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Staying On Standard Connectivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, my PremCon ended last week, and I have been using my iPhone's hotspot to see if that works. So far, it works fine, music's good, webpages good, maps good. Even turning on the hotspot is easy, once you configure it the first time. Swipe down on the iPhone screen, and get your Control Center widgets, then press the wifi/airport/cell quadrant. When it opens, tap the Hotspot button to make it discoverable. Done.
I have to pay I think $10 a day for a hot spot on ATT when I use it...is that something you are not paying extra for?

its a shame one can't make more general use of the $10/mo service.... presumably there is an AT&T SIM buried somewhere in it... waiting to be hacked/liberated. Since there is a full-ish web browser there, might be possible to set up a proxy of sorts, no?

It would be great, but nowadays most cell providers charge for data consumption, not just the connection. I have no idea what arrangement Tesla has with their cell phone provider, but I bet the bill is already astronomical.

Having another feature for people to consume tons of bandwidth would probably be very expensive.

Sorry, to restate the obvious, but to summarize this thread.
- Standard Connectivity using wifi hotspot you get:
- streaming music (spotify, etc)
- web browser
- no real time traffic

also, no way to ez connect to wifi hotspot. even saying connect to/ turn on wifi just brings up the wifi menu and you have to manually connect.

I signed up for it. Kind of dumb to not have optimal behavior for $120/yr

It’s not worth messing with phone to set hotspot up every time you get in the car. Hotspot intensionally stops sharing after disconnect and you have to go into menus to activate it again.

I find satellite useful sometimes finding stuff. Like drive way in some rural area. Traffic is useful.

I do use the music streaming.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Did not renew Premium Connectivity to try Standard- to see if I miss much.

My android phone is set with routine to enable hotspot once bluetooth connects my phone to the car - as in when I open the car door.

I deleted all other known wi-fi on the car except my phone's hotspot - one step that I must do (no automatic way as of yet) is to touch "wi-fi" and select my phone's.

I commute 160 miles every day of the week - same road, same time so I know the traffic pattern. I use google map navigation for other than my daily commute - which is better because google navi warns you of any delay, speed trap, crash, etc - unlike the stock nav on Premium Connectivity. Satellite view is over rated.

I also use my phone's hotspot to view the car's entertainment (Hulu,YouTube,Netflix) - seems to be fine. I stream music via bluetooth.

One thing missing - I wish next OTA update include automation to select "wi-fi" hotspot as primary/permanent internet connection vs the cars LTE - that will mosdef keep me on Standard Connectivity.

I don't think OTA updates are coming since even voice control doesn't auto turn on wifi. It just brings up menu :(

how do you set an android phone with a routine to auto-enable hotspot once Bluetooth connects? I love the fact my Echo auto connects via BT w/o doing anything..

I have to pay I think $10 a day for a hot spot on ATT when I use it...is that something you are not paying extra for?
Sorry, I never saw your question to my post, but better late than never. As @vickh notes, some cell carriers don't require you pay extra. I'm on Verizon. I don't pay extra to create a hotspot.

...It’s not worth messing with phone to set hotspot up every time you get in the car. Hotspot intensionally stops sharing after disconnect and you have to go into menus to activate it again....
I doubt I'd use hotspots, if I had to do it all the time, but for occasional use, it's fine. Setting it up, really only takes effort the first time, after that, you can quickly turn on your hotspot, and the car finds it. With the new iOS14, I think I could probably put a widget to turn on the hotspot on the home screen.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Staying on standard here. The traffic display and functionality is awful compared to Waze, so I'm stuck having my phone running that anyway. Have been using the phone as hotspot as others have detailed in previous posts and that works great. I didn't buy the car to impress anyone except my own butt-torque meter so don't need the pretty sat maps. I don't care about the $10, just a personal decision.

How about a subscription service for more torque...you can never get enough.

I signed up for it. Kind of dumb to not have optimal behavior for $120/yr

It’s not worth messing with phone to set hotspot up every time you get in the car. Hotspot intensionally stops sharing after disconnect and you have to go into menus to activate it again.

I find satellite useful sometimes finding stuff. Like drive way in some rural area. Traffic is useful.

I do use the music streaming.
id like to sign up now but have looked all over the website . It is not available from there...although a lot of advise says find "manage" on your acct page

i'm not finding that. In a chat they said call service Mon...i'd like to do online if anyone has the info to direct me towards..(more than find "manage" on your acct!!)
Thanks in Advance

I've been going without Premium for a couple of months on my 2016 MS 75D/MCU1. Would the benefits of paying the $120/yr be nice? Sure. Can I get by with a BT connection to my iPhone for most things (iTunes and TuneIn Radio)? Yes.

Would I pay $10/month for Apple CarPlay integration? Even though I shouldn't have to, I'd much rather pay for that than what I'd get for Tesla's premium connectivity. Tesla's integration with cell phones is about 10 years behind the curve, IMHO.

Do you get Live Traffic with standard service?
Edit: Never mind, I see the answer in an earlier post. The answer is “no,” correct? Too bad because that’s the only feature in premium that’s useful for me.

Last edited:
Do you get Live Traffic with standard service?
Edit: Never mind, I see the answer in an earlier post. The answer is “no,” correct? Too bad because that’s the only feature in premium that’s useful for me.

You get live traffic in the sense the nav system is aware of it and uses it for routing purposes.

You don't get it displayed on the screen though.

• Informative
Reactions: Mr. Big
It's funny because I subscribed a few weeks ago to avoid having to constantly reconnect to my WiFi hotspot... until I realized I could easily stream from my phone via BT. I could care less about sat nav, and the traffic info seems spotty at best.

Now if I try to cancel the subscription in my Tesla acct, it always says, "something went wrong, please try again later.". I assume because it's been less than a month??

It's funny because I subscribed a few weeks ago to avoid having to constantly reconnect to my WiFi hotspot... until I realized I could easily stream from my phone via BT. I could care less about sat nav, and the traffic info seems spotty at best.

Another quirk is all the music streaming services are premium subs+ too right? I tried Slacker but they're no longer around

Vs Google music etc is free.