Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steer by wire, dead battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With power steering does that mean you could lose control of steering if your HV battery dies while driving?
BTW, moving avatars are super visually annoying ... novel for a minute then distracting, that's why I chose as little motion as I did
Power steering there is still a physical link to control the steering. With steer by wire there is not. The question is still unanswered.

That's asking, how is steer by wire implemented.
FYI, service manuals are freely available:

Xty6noW.jpg

Reactions: WyoDude
With power steering does that mean you could lose control of steering if your HV battery dies while driving?
BTW, moving avatars are super visually annoying ... novel for a minute then distracting, that's why I chose as little motion as I did
You lose power steering you can still forcefully move the wheels without power, if the steer by wire loses power is there some backup that allows you to turn the wheels still

You lose power steering you can still forcefully move the wheels without power, if the steer by wire loses power is there some backup that allows you to turn the wheels still
Every part of the system is supposed to redundant. Two motors, triple sensors, etc. Haven’t heard what they did for power but I’m sure it’s redundant. I doubt it’s going to fail from power loss. If there are ever failures I bet it’s a software bug.

I don't think so. The Cybertruck as no physical linkage from the steering wheel to the steering rack. If both rack motors died (highly unlikely), you would not be able to steer no matter how much you try and turn the wheel. This is my understanding of how the steer-by-wire system works.

I don't think so. The Cybertruck as no physical linkage from the steering wheel to the steering rack. If both rack motors died (highly unlikely), you would not be able to steer no matter how much you try and turn the wheel. This is my understanding of how the steer-by-wire system works.
I’m just imagining traveling on a mountain road with cliffs and no railing, battery dies as your driving around curves and you have no way to steer while the car was moving at 40-50 mph

• Funny
Reactions: israndy and WyoDude
Im thinking more about future vehicles not only the cybertruck, like if all teslas have steer by wire 5 years from now, or even some non teslas
It does seem like that could happen. I just wonder if the benefit is big enough. It seems like it will always be much more expensive. I think one reason Tesla is doing it is you need all the redundancy for robotaxis.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Like what could happen? All future cars get steer by wire? Of course they will. If people will not be manning the wheels, why would it matter if they have direct linkage? Why would the cars even have dedicated wheels?

Oh, and if the OP's avatar's motion bugs you as much as it did me you can just *ignore* him and his avatar goes away too. Nice